• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is DLSS usable with Ray Tracing?

Soldato
Raytracing requires the tensor cores to do denoising. Whether it can also do DLSS at the same time will be interesting.

Then there is a question that if the RT cores, Tensor Cores and FP/INT shaders are all working at once, what it means for the 250W power limit. We already know that the shaders alone can hit the 250W limit and power throttle.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Since DLSS is - at its core - an upscaling technique, could it be used with ray-tracing to upscale a 1080p render to 1440p?

From what I have seen no. But there is no reason why not, one uses RT cores and the other tensor cores from what I understand. Trouble is if we use all 3 parts of the new Turing die (Shader/Compute, RT Core, Tensor Core), it may explode from all the heat :p

Well, at least you would need water cooling otherwise your boost clocks would really drop I would imagine from all the extra heat coming from both the Tensor and RT core's.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Th
Raytracing requires the tensor cores to do denoising. Whether it can also do DLSS at the same time will be interesting.

Then there is a question that if the RT cores, Tensor Cores and FP/INT shaders are all working at once, what it means for the 250W power limit. We already know that the shaders alone can hit the 250W limit and power throttle.

This is a very worrying idea, as over half the core is sitting ideal atm till they unlock ray tracing and dlss

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
This is a very worrying idea, as over half the core is sitting ideal atm till they unlock ray tracing and dlss

It is a concern, but the 2080ti board has a curiously large amount of 'intelligent' voltage control on it (see Buildzoid's video), which may be there to ensure there is no performance drop when the whole die is working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zsWoef9MqQ&t=1s

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't find it right now, but, I did read somewhere that DLSS and Ray Tracing will work together. It's how some developers are going to be getting playable Framerates on 4K using Ray Tracing. I believe the initial the reports said they wouldn't work at the same time, but, I think that's because DLSS only works at 1440p and the Ray Tracing numbers at the time were at 1080p.

Associate
I can't find it right now, but, I did read somewhere that DLSS and Ray Tracing will work together. It's how some developers are going to be getting playable Framerates on 4K using Ray Tracing. I believe the initial the reports said they wouldn't work at the same time, but, I think that's because DLSS only works at 1440p and the Ray Tracing numbers at the time were at 1080p.
Pretty sure at least one developer have stated they are doing exactly this - might have been Dice but it mentioned on these forums a week or so ago.

Soldato
I thought the entire point was DLSS and RT can be used together because there's dedicated hardware for each feature; RT is done on the RT cores, DLSS is done on the Tensor cores.

How hot and hungry the card gets when 100% of its package is used is a different discussion, but I don't recall anybody saying it's RT OR DLSS, and never the twain shall meet...

Soldato
I thought the entire point was DLSS and RT can be used together because there's dedicated hardware for each feature; RT is done on the RT cores, DLSS is done on the Tensor cores.

How hot and hungry the card gets when 100% of its package is used is a different discussion, but I don't recall anybody saying it's RT OR DLSS, and never the twain shall meet...

Yes it always seemed obvious to me they would work together... and based on the figures to date of ray tracing barely managing 60FPS @ 1080p, that will be essential.

Soldato
Yes it always seemed obvious to me they would work together... and based on the figures to date of ray tracing barely managing 60FPS @ 1080p, that will be essential.

And if it turns out that the card will explode your PSU just after melting itself because CUDA, RT and Tensor all worked at once, then add that to the black cloud hovering above this generation. But I really don't see that happening.

Soldato

Apologies guys. Thinking about it a bit more, I mixed things up, they were talking about using Deep Learning, not DLSS. It was using the Tensor Cores to denoise the Frame after Ray Tracing, saving the Ray Tracing engine from doing that work, increasing performance. This also provides AA. So I think it won't be using DLSS, but it will be using the Tensor cores.

Soldato
Apologies guys. Thinking about it a bit more, I mixed things up, they were talking about using Deep Learning, not DLSS. It was using the Tensor Cores to denoise the Frame after Ray Tracing, saving the Ray Tracing engine from doing that work, increasing performance. This also provides AA. So I think it won't be using DLSS, but it will be using the Tensor cores.

Deep Learning IS DLSS - Deep Learning Super Sampling

Soldato
Deep Learning IS DLSS - Deep Learning Super Sampling

Deep Learning is not just DLSS you know. There is more to the Tensor cores than just running the super computer generated super sampling algorithms. The denoising process will be different than using DLSS.

Caporegime
Deep Learning is not just DLSS you know. There is more to the Tensor cores than just running the super computer generated super sampling algorithms. The denoising process will be different than using DLSS.

The denoising in raytracing also uses deep elarning. That is where they got the inspiration to use DL for super sampling.

Back
Top Bottom