Clapping Banned at Manchester University Student Union Events

Caporegime
OP
Imagine one of these people rocking up to a sales conference in their work life or just an office environment and a few people clapped, they would be straight down to HR to complain about how they need a safe space.

Caporegime
I remember going to the occupy protest by St Paul's a few years ago for one of their evening meetings, they had this odd rule about not clapping but instead waving hands in order to show support for something.

I believe it actually comes from sign language, though I'm not sure that many deaf people are going to be too offended at general clapping in a gathering involving mostly no deaf people. The anxiety claims I'm not sure of - what sort of evidence is there for it?

Permabanned
TalkRadio’s Julia Hartley-Brewer from next year’s conference after she shouted ‘boo’ in a ‘safe space’
Ms Hartley-Brewer recorded a light-hearted video mocking a 'safe space'
LABOUR has banned TalkRadio host Julia Hartley-Brewer from its conference next year.
The party issued the edict yesterday because of complaints that she had violated its "safe space" at last week's conference in Liverpool by shouting “boo”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7393078/julia-hartley-brewer-safe-space-ban/

Soldato
why would hand waving be sign language for clapping? surely clapping itself is a pretty damn good visual cue as to what people are doing.

as for this, reminds me of the futurama scene "don't clap, each time you clap your hands you kill millions of fungal spores, instead show your support with a spore freindly thumbs up", although sadly i can't find a clip of that

Permabanned
For some reason "jazz hands" brings back memories of the Black and White Minstrel Show and that ridiculous imported pastor at Meghans's wedding. Probably not the image they are actually seeking.... Hallelujah brother.

Back
Top Bottom