Test riding a bike with no previous insurance policy - help!

Soldato
Guys,

Passed my MOD2 on Wednesday and I’m still buzzing! I’m bow looking to go out and buy a bike but have some questions.

I’ve no previous bike insurance so was wondering how one would go about asking for a test ride. Unlike with me buying a new car, I can add another car on my policy for a day or so and have the insurance certificate with me - how do I do similar but without any previous policy?

It’s been suggested that, if I like the bike and am serious about buying it, negotiate a price pending test ride and give the cash over saying if I break it consider it bought? Though this still doesn’t make me legal. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. Greg

Soldato
You could insure it, test ride it, if you dont like it, cancel the insurance under the 14 day cooling off period. Otherwise technically you are breaking the law by riding whilst uninsured.

But the guy will want you to leave the cash either way though, I would. It's the only thing about buying/selling motorcycles privately that makes it more difficult because of this, and why although I would almost say the opposite with cars, probably better to buy a bike from a dealer, as they will have all the insurances etc.

Man of Honour
Google it then
I'm going to categorically tell you you're talking rubbish without even googling it, it sounds like you may be confused with grandfather rights enabling some drivers to ride a moped (which isn't just a blanket anything under a 125) without doing a CBT if they passed their test many moons ago.
Or you're talking about the third party cover to drive other vehicles some policies provide (my fully comp car insurance doesn't) in which case you'd still need to double check it covers bikes and not just the licence you've declared on the policy.

If you have something to prove otherwise I'll gladly retract my statement but right now you've just made a blanket statement which is certainly not fact for my car insurance.

Last edited:
Associate
If the buyer is test riding through a dealership, the business should have an insurance policy that covers them for people test riding. This policy will have a set criteria though, and the client should always check that they have adequate cover in place. Some policies restrict the test rider in terms of age, length of licence, number of claims etc, so always double check the wording on the policy. Most policies also contain clauses in terms of damage whilst the vehicle is in your care so it’s worth checking these too.

Man of Honour
If the buyer is test riding through a dealership, the business should have an insurance policy that covers them for people test riding. This policy will have a set criteria though, and the client should always check that they have adequate cover in place. Some policies restrict the test rider in terms of age, length of licence, number of claims etc, so always double check the wording on the policy. Most policies also contain clauses in terms of damage whilst the vehicle is in your care so it’s worth checking these too.
Right so they're covered by the dealer insurance which is nothing to do with the riders insurance which was my point.

Soldato
You car insurance covers you to ride a bike third party as long as its below 125cc

100% no, just no lol, your average car insurance doesn't even cover you to drive other cars nevermind a different class of vehicle, your insurer has no idea if you even have a license for that class.
I'm over 30 and still have to make sure most of the time they add on 'DOC' cover, and from my own experience under 25 was a no-no for DOC cover that didn't cost the earth.

Soldato
OP: Go and speak to a dealer and see if their insurance will cover you for a test ride. The answer will probably be yes unless you are below 20. Just be aware the excess on the policy is normally about £1000 so dont break the bike.

Soldato
Back OT though, ask the dealer what the deal is with test rides from you, it will most likely have a £1000 excess on the test rides.

I think this just differs dealer by dealer. They normally either have a high excess or a low excess and then charge a nominal £10 to take the test ride, as the insurance cost would be higher.

If you encounter a dealer with a high excess who also charges then they're just being very tight!

Associate
100% no, just no lol, your average car insurance doesn't even cover you to drive other cars nevermind a different class of vehicle, your insurer has no idea if you even have a license for that class.
I'm over 30 and still have to make sure most of the time they add on 'DOC' cover, and from my own experience under 25 was a no-no for DOC cover that didn't cost the earth.
Mine does so does my licence

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help and comments guys, but there's no need to worry now. After passing my test last Wednesday I went and bough this yesterday...

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom