• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7 2700x OC vs XFR, is OC worth it?

Associate
Currently i upgraded and have 2700x. Now i am wondering if OC is worth it or does XFR does its job well enough so oc is not needed anymore? Currently i'm using stock cooler delivered with cpu, as backup i keep in its box cooler silentiumpc fera 2 with 1 fan included. I've read and watched some materials on this case and can't come up with single conclusion that's why i want opinion from people who already have this cpu and i want to know what did you do with your own one?

As motherboard i have asrock x470 taichi ultimate with latest bios (v1.52 beta).

Soldato
Unless you win the silicon lottery and at the same time have a good motherboard with decent cooling to stabilise for 4.2g over all cores, it would be easier to just leave everything to XFR.

Associate
I gave OCing a good shot, but these days I run 'tweaked XFR' settings. XFR does my chip up to 4.32GHz over a few cores, or 4.15 all-core. I had 4.3 a/c running for a bit, not totally bench-stable, but with my normal usage it was no problem.
Stepped it back in order to sort ongoing RAM issues- which thankfully seem to have been remedied by BIOS updates.

You certainly don't need to overclock it. You can if you want, but aside from an impressive Cinebench score, there's not really much point. But saying that, I might have another go... :)

Associate
I gave OCing a good shot, but these days I run 'tweaked XFR' settings. XFR does my chip up to 4.32GHz over a few cores, or 4.15 all-core. I had 4.3 a/c running for a bit, not totally bench-stable, but with my normal usage it was no problem.
Stepped it back in order to sort ongoing RAM issues- which thankfully seem to have been remedied by BIOS updates.

You certainly don't need to overclock it. You can if you want, but aside from an impressive Cinebench score, there's not really much point. But saying that, I might have another go... :)

Silly question sorry, but I've just moved over to a 2700x, what or how do you tweak XFR settings? I'm on an Asus X470-i.

Man of Honour
I don't have much (any really) experience with the 2700X but with 2600(X) systems I've found performance enhancements get really close to the max overclocks people are generally getting anyway making it not really worth it.

Soldato
I don't have much (any really) experience with the 2700X but with 2600(X) systems I've found performance enhancements get really close to the max overclocks people are generally getting anyway making it not really worth it.

Yep, or even better. My CH6 with PBO enabled and PE level4 boots at 4.25Ghz all core no problem at all. It also single boosts any core to 4.35Ghz, not just one or two. I have spent many an hour trying to get it higher by manually overclocking, was a complete waste of time and effort to be honest. PBO and PE do the job much better and they do it 24/7 stable as well.

Associate
I just turned on DOCP for my ram, went to performance enhancer level 2 (3 and 4 crash without adding voltage so didn't see the point), and turned on precision boost overide - everything else is at auto, seems fine to me. Then again last time I overclocked was 7 years ago with my old 2600k, and I really couldn't be bothered to learn how to do it again, way too many settings to deal with.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Recent 2700X owner too.

Had a play around and have it at 4.3Ghz on all cores, RAM using XMP running at 3200.

Will try to tweak the RAM at a later date but more than happy so far. Using a Noctua D14 and the temps are pretty low still.

Soldato
for normal gaming just leave XFR to do its things, some boards allowed you to increase the limits that hold XFR back like the Performance enhancer settings on Asus boards.

For benchmarking or rendering it would be better to try and get your all core clocks up but not many will do 4.3 all core, mine does at 1.5volts but thats for a quick 3dmark run before i switch it off. Last time i won the silicon lottery was about 2001 :(

Soldato
I just set that to level 4 and it crashed on a Cinebench run - vCore showing 1.51v! I thought I had fried the chip there. :eek:

Why do they allow the BIOS settings to push vCore so high? Even on Auto, the voltage is spiking above 1.4v

yeh i cant run 3 or 4 it insta crashes on any high load, like you say, 1.5-1.55 volts and even watercooled it spikes to 90c before cutting power off. I run at level 2, but have my voltage offset by -0.125 or something.

Associate
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E14353_ROG_STRIX_X470-I_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
Page 65, it is labeled as D.O.C.P. IMO your motherboard's bios is weird in placement of options and labeling them.

Assuming your board runs the same BIOS as mine, there's another box two or three below the DOCP selection to set the speed- you'll need to change this too, if you haven't already... e.g to 3200MHz in my case. Only mentioning because I missed it at first, and wondered why DOCP 3200 was only running at 2133...

EDIT quoted wrong post @String

Back
Top Bottom