• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia stock getting slaughtered...

Soldato
Most of their share price was pinned on the potential for deep learning and driverless cars.

They've taken major hits on that over the last few months.

Soldato
OP
If you read the results the "car" part of the business is doing well, but the gaming part is still around 60%, I think cars is more like 10%... The gaming section crumbles and the whole company gets ill.. The cars bit stumbles... Its no big deal..

Greed + Laziness = Trouble...

Soldato
why... has the driverless car hypetrain derailed?

i hope not... knowing how much insurance costs for teenagers i am hoping my lads car will dricer itself....... they have 14 years to get it right!

Soldato
"The stock will likely not bounce back right away, given the severity of the miss," Morgan Stanley said.

Or the overpriced and poor delivery of the product Sherlock :D

There is a $500,000,000 worth of Pascal stock still in the warehouses. (more than 2 million GPUs)
Is the reason of the main beating of the share, along wise the slowdown of sales on the Datacenter and AI markets where AMD is chewing market share fast.

Man of Honour
I mean sure nVidia is seeing a drop but people seem to have forgotten the stock market in general is plunging right now - Dow Jones index for instance shows 2018 gains wiped out in the last little while.

Goldman Sachs has downgraded almost everything across the tech sector.

Man of Honour
FTSE 100 is about 10% down from peak to where it is now... Nvidia is down 50% from 295 to 150 ish :D

Some are getting hit a lot harder than others....

Not trying to defend the nVidia decline but not everything the FTSE, etc. represents has seen a drop (though markets generally are having a tough time at the moment) but tech stocks are one of the ones seeing some significant hits - Apple for instance is weathering a bit of a storm at the moment in that regard as well.

People are getting a bit orgasmic about nVidia going down the toilet as if it is something that is happening in isolation.

Soldato
OP
Agree... You have to laugh.. Crisis in the board room at Nvidia.. We just realised we cant keep charging 50 - 100% markups year on year based on marginal gains and vaporware... People are asking questions like "whys it twice the price"... What are we supposed to say?!

Tell them it does raytracing!!!!!

Although no game out there supports it at the moment, but don't mention that, they are so stupid these people they will buy it anyway!!!

Soldato
Tech stocks do get hit harder, generally. While NVidia is down a lot you have to look at where it was some years ago - < $18. I've been expecting the end to the bull run at some point. It's been hit harder than I expected and dropped very quickly but it's still a solid company. Companies rarely grow so quickly and mistakes are eventually made that causes a hiccup. Look at Apple for example.
I'm not giving advice but if you bought now and the price returns to near $300 in a few years, that's a new GPU covered :). Look at the bigger picture, not the fact that right now their 20 series are making people sad :)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
There is a $500,000,000 worth of Pascal stock still in the warehouses. (more than 2 million GPUs)
Is the reason of the main beating of the share, along wise the slowdown of sales on the Datacenter and AI markets where AMD is chewing market share fast.

I was going to mention Quartz' observation in addition to yours Panos as I read down. Thing is if there is all this surplus stock then why is Gibbo saying that some models are drying up, I mean when are they going to firesale all that or is it the recalls taking priority - I doubt it?

Could they also be pricing in a possible recall of the 2080 Ti GPUs?

Man of Honour
I'm not giving advice but if you bought now and the price returns to near $300 in a few years, that's a new GPU bought :). Look at the bigger picture, not the fact that right now their 20 series are making people sad :)

Until you factor in the fees :s stock like nVidia isn't really worth it unless you are buying in like blocks of $3000 worth or something.

FTSE 100 is not relevant stock market........

Course they are - indices are used as a benchmark which has an influence and also reflect what is going on in general.

EDIT: Unless you mean relevant to stock like nVidia which is kind of true but also as above an indication of general movement.

Soldato
Until you factor in the fees :s stock like nVidia isn't really worth it unless you are buying in like blocks of $3000 worth or something.

Course they are - indices are used as a benchmark which has an influence and also reflect what is going on in general.

EDIT: Unless you mean relevant to stock like nVidia which is kind of true but also as above an indication of general movement.

FTSE100 is in UK. Nvidia is trading in USA stock markets.

Soldato
Depends on the broker, it's usually a % with $ denominated stock. With any stock, unless it's really low priced, there's a minimum many would want to buy. Tech stocks do carry more risk hence a return to $300 is not guaranteed. NV are now much, much cheaper than they were and getting close to that of Intel.s AMD is the one way out there at the moment on valuation, deservedly so as the expectation is that they're going to outperform. As long as the expectation is met then the earnings will rise to bring the valuation inline with earnings.
Many analysts consider Intel cheap atm at 14x earnings, although as we know, they do have some issues. Nvidia are now 19x. AMD is 59!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
FTSE100 is in UK. Nvidia is trading in USA stock markets.

That is why I mentioned Dow for instance (which has a smattering of US tech) - but still it all represents that there is a trend there as well as any issues nVidia might be going through - some seem to be trying to represent it for their own interests as if nVidia is going through massive troubles all of its own.

AMD is 59!

Annoying thing is I've recommended AMD at opportune moments a few times to people who've seen good money from it but not actually got organised into put any of my own money that way.

Back
Top Bottom