Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I know they always have decent sales on by some incredible offers on the SIS website (also 12% cashback through TCB)

For reference this was £43!

Marathon Bundle

1 £39.50
1 x Isotonic Energy Gels (30 Pack)
1 x GO Isotonic Energy Gel - 30 Pack (Pink Grapefruit) £0.00

1x Energy + Caffeine Gels (6 Pack)
1 x GO Energy + Caffeine Gel - 6 Pack (Citrus) £0.00

1x GO Electrolyte (1kg)
1 x GO Electrolyte - 1kg (Lemon & lime) £0.00

REGO Rapid Recovery (1kg)
1 x REGO Rapid Recovery - 1kg (Vanilla) £0.00

2 x GO Hydro Tubes
2 x GO Hydro (Berry) £0.00

Bottle
1 x 800ml Bottle £0.00

BCAA Shot - 6 Pack

Flavour
Lemon
1 £3.50
FREE - REGO Rapid Recovery - 500g (Strawberry)

1 £0.00
FREE - Energy Gel Bundle

1 £0.00
FREE - Team Sky Fly Bottle - Yellow Edition

Last edited:
Soldato
Argh, is there anything worse than your watch battery dying (Well probably lots of things but this is pretty bad)

Went for a run yesterday with the intention of increasing to 8miles. Realised at the start i was low on battery so had to monitor it to try and actually track it all. Saved my run at 6 miles when i had 3% then recorded the last 2 using my phone.

Felt good during the run and was tempted to take a slightly different route to get around 10miles done but decided to stick to 8 as didn't want to overdo it and cause injury. Was happy with that as i'd spent all of Saturday helping a mate move out of a flat with lots of stairs involved :(

Definately need new trainers as my arches have started aching towards the end of a run which i've not had before but seems more common at the moment.

Associate
When I was using my old watch (Forerunner 610) it decided to warn on low battery at the marathon. The warning was about 5 or six miles from the end. At that point decided to just leave it and see how it went (forgot that it would just stop and lose everything). It managed to stay on and work with the GPS etc all the way to the end and then in watch mode until about 11pm when we got home.

Looking at your figures there, I reckon it would have worked for all of it :)

Associate
So I've averaged about 40-45 miles/wk for 5 months now. Run 6 times a week and feeling very good, better in fact than when i was running half as much. Pb on 10k and half mara by a long way during this time.

Going to try run commuting to get mileage up a bit more, starting tomorrow. It's 9 miles but I'll only run one way to start off....may be able to hit 50-55 miles in this way.

Otherwise,routine is one tempo interval session a week, one longer run,and the rest somewhere in zone 1 or 2.

Will report back how the commuting goes...

Soldato
How long does it generally take to get fit / see improvement. I am by no means unhealthy but averagely fit.
I can run a 5k in just under 30mins but it's grueling. I am aiming for 10k but after 20mins I feel like I'm gonna give up and die.
Want to achieve the 10k in an hour but after 12 weeks of training once or twice a week. I just feel God damn awful during the last 40mins. Losing the will to live by about 7k.

Maybe I'm eating badly before or not enough water but whatever it is I never remotely enjoy running. I have some half decent running shoes, so joint pain isn't the issue, it's just all over exhaustion.

Caporegime
So I've averaged about 40-45 miles/wk for 5 months now. Run 6 times a week and feeling very good, better in fact than when i was running half as much. Pb on 10k and half mara by a long way during this time.

Going to try run commuting to get mileage up a bit more, starting tomorrow. It's 9 miles but I'll only run one way to start off....may be able to hit 50-55 miles in this way.

Otherwise,routine is one tempo interval session a week, one longer run,and the rest somewhere in zone 1 or 2.

Will report back how the commuting goes...

Great stuff, keep it up. You could drop the quality session while you increase the volume, then slowly add it back in.

Caporegime
How long does it generally take to get fit / see improvement. I am by no means unhealthy but averagely fit.
I can run a 5k in just under 30mins but it's grueling. I am aiming for 10k but after 20mins I feel like I'm gonna give up and die.
Want to achieve the 10k in an hour but after 12 weeks of training once or twice a week. I just feel God damn awful during the last 40mins. Losing the will to live by about 7k.

Maybe I'm eating badly before or not enough water but whatever it is I never remotely enjoy running. I have some half decent running shoes, so joint pain isn't the issue, it's just all over exhaustion.

Typically pretty quickly, within a month. running just once or twice a week is probably just not enough. Start adding additional run days.

It also sounds like you are doing your runs far too fast, so you are effectively racing each training run./ that is the only way you can feel awful after 20 minutes. Slow things right down, add walking breaks as necessary. Running should be easy and enjoyable.

If we assume your 5km in 30 minutes was close to race pace, then you probably should be running about 11:30 to 12 minutes a mile, or soemthign like 11 minutes a mile but walk for 3 minutes after every 8 minutes of running.

Soldato
Yeah definately sounds like running too fast, even if it doesn't feel like it.

@D.P. I went for a gait analysis last night at a new place and he agreed with your stance that lots of places recommend stability style trainers to anyone with even a slight requirement. He also added how there were different levels of stability and just going for a "stability" shoe isn't right.

He recommended a couple of pairs of brooks, but when i mentioned the marathon in April he suggested picking up the Asics GT2000 as they'd last me until the marathon rather than me needing to likely replace before then (assuming around 100m/month)

Caporegime
yeah, I think only in the most extreme cases does stability shoe help in any way.

I run with lots of shoes. I have about 5 new road running shoes, 3 older running shoes that are end of Life, then 3 trail running shoes. they all tend to serve different purposes, some more cushioned for long slow runs, some slighter and faster for speed work and races, older shoes get used on recovery runs. I also like to have a choice, sometimes it feels good just tip have a slightly different foot shape and cushioning. I also believe you get a slight reduction in injury risks swapping shoes so different areas of the foot and associated ligaments/joints get slightly different wear and tear. I also like to transition into new shoes before the old shoes become too worn out. The old shoes can be used for shorter easier runs and the new shoes for longer and harder efforts.

The up-front cost is higher of course but the total cost is the same, if you have 3 running shoes then each one will last 3 times longer. I look at the sales, often buying last years models at heavy discounts.

Soldato
Yeah i think i might pick up another pair in the sales in January (plus my 50% Vitality discount will kick in again). My current pair probably still have some life left for short runs and it's only since i've done a few longer runs that i've got some aches.

Associate
Yeah definately sounds like running too fast, even if it doesn't feel like it.

@D.P. I went for a gait analysis last night at a new place and he agreed with your stance that lots of places recommend stability style trainers to anyone with even a slight requirement. He also added how there were different levels of stability and just going for a "stability" shoe isn't right.

He recommended a couple of pairs of brooks, but when i mentioned the marathon in April he suggested picking up the Asics GT2000 as they'd last me until the marathon rather than me needing to likely replace before then (assuming around 100m/month)

How is training going so far? I am still considering pushing the button on the Chester Marathon for next October. It would certainly help with my motivation :)

Soldato
It's not too bad. As you say it's helping me keep motivation and i've been going around 15-20 miles per week for the last month or so which feels like a decent level.

I did 8 miles on Sunday and felt pretty good. The plan was to go for 10 this weekend, but it's my works Christmas do on Friday so my body will likely still be broken on Sunday! I've not got a specific plan but in my head i'd aiming for

12 miles by the end of December
16 miles by the end of January
20 miles by the end of Feb

Figure then if i keep long runs around 20 miles until mid March, then limit to around 15 for the last 2 weeks of March i'll be ok for the marathon. Issue, as with anything will be finding the time for those long runs each week. The weekend would be best but thats family time for me and finding the time to get out for 3-4hrs might be tricky.

The main thing for me will be to try and keep training to a decent level through December and not just drink/eat to excess like i usually do!

Associate
I know what you mean. In the end, my long runs ended up being 8pm on Sunday evenings. That usually matched up with some sort of period drama that I had no interest in at all :)
The trouble was that this ended up with me finishing between 10pm and 11pm!

Soldato
Yeah i think i can see those kind of things happening, which is a bit rubbish as my days are usually spend on dog walks/DIY so already getting tired towards 8pm.

I've actually been meaning to go over your Strava history and look at your runs in the months leading up to the marathon, as it's a similar time of year and i'd say you're similar in speed to me. Did you do much in the way of interval work/non running exercise?

Associate
I won one my clubs two London Maraton places :)

So distance training will start again in Jan. I'm not entirely sure how I should train, having done a marathon back in September, I don't know where my endurance is. Maybe I'll go out over the Christmas break and see how I get on running for 2 hours+

I ran a decent half the other week and took a few mins from my PB, so now 1:31:30 according to Strava. Met BlastRadius at the end as well who'd finished a few mins ahead of me.

Associate

So distance training will start again in Jan. I'm not entirely sure how I should train, having done a marathon back in September, I don't know where my endurance is. Maybe I'll go out over the Christmas break and see how I get on running for 2 hours+

I ran a decent half the other week and took a few mins from my PB, so now 1:31:30 according to Strava. Met BlastRadius at the end as well who'd finished a few mins ahead of me.

Congratulations! I had a fantastic day there. I said at the time that I wouldn't do another, but I am thinking exactly the opposite now.

Do keep us updated with your training and race numbers etc. :)

Caporegime

Congrats, see you in London!

Don't wait to January, start building volume now, all easy runs. Hardworking now is what will pay off race day. As you get closer you can add a little quality, but also cut volume a little to help recovery from the workouts. Quality runs now can be hilly runs or trails to build strength without impact.

Back
Top Bottom