100mm hole through wood....deep

Caporegime
The need has arisedto cut a 100mm hole through some wood at our house, trouble is it's probably double that in depth!

A time have any pointers? We do have adiamoned core drill bit but it's somewhat useless on wood

Soldato
How accessible is it? Can it be approached from both sides?

If it's something that can be moved and worked on at a bench or similar?

Not really got an idea but those questions might help the next person along

Caporegime
OP
How accessible is it? Can it be approached from both sides?

If it's something that can be moved and worked on at a bench or similar?

Not really got an idea but those questions might help the next person along

No, it's for an extraction fan - but it can be approached from both sides technically

So there's render one side (which the core drill will be great for) then pretty much just wood the other for some bizarre reason

Soldato
If it's 200mm or more thick I would imagine the first question would be "is it it OK to drill a hole that big through it?" For a timbers of that size it may well be weight bearing. Where is this 200mm thick piece of timber?

For joists, I thought the rule of thumb was not to notch more than a 1/8 of the width, or 1/2 if you drill on the centre of the width. (id check that)

Caporegime
OP
If it's not one single piece of paper timber then using a hole saw shouldn't be too difficult?

We wanted to go through in one go rather than cut a bit, chip it out, cut a bit, chip it out etc.

We've already pruchased loads of bits and bobs and in the run-up to Christmas it's adding up, so I came here for for answers :)

We may need to just coughup and buy the larger hole saw

If it's 200mm or more thick I would imagine the first question would be "is it it OK to drill a hole that big through it?" For a timbers of that size it may well be weight bearing. Where is this 200mm thick piece of timber?

For joists, I thought the rule of thumb was not to notch more than a 1/8 of the width, or 1/2 if you drill on the centre of the width. (id check that)

It's more than one piece of timber.

It's above the external door from the kitchen on the side of the house. Essentially the kitchen needs an extractor fan put in to comply with building regulations.

Normally, we'd of expected a frame around the door, a gap of 20-30cm then the frame to the top floor, but this just appears to have multiple pieces of wood stuck in this gap.

Soldato
It's above the external door from the kitchen on the side of the house. Essentially the kitchen needs an extractor fan put in to comply with building regulations.
Are you just refitting a kitchen or is this part of a build that will be inspected by a building regs officer?

Soldato
Find a better place for it just through masonry and use ducting to the extractor. Personally I wouldn't want to be exiting a building above a doorway anyway due to lintel and load stresses there anyway.

Caporegime
OP
Find a better place for it just through masonry and use ducting to the extractor. Personally I wouldn't want to be exiting a building above a doorway anyway due to lintel and load stresses there anyway.

No other option as the kitchen is in the 'middle' of the house (at the side)

Ducting is going to be used from the cooker hood to the wall,ducting through the wall.

Back
Top Bottom