Extremely worried about my insurance claim

Associate
Hello. First time poster, so be gentle!! I had an accident on Wednesday after leaving work. It was dark and wet and I misjudged a corner and wrote my car off on a post. I contacted my insurance company (1st central) straight away and explained to them what had happened. It was about an hour later and I got an email from them saying that as I was travelling from work, I need commuting on my policy, which I haven't got (I sorted my insurance out on a price comparison site and didn't understand properly what cover I needed) I also took the insurance out in a bit of a hurry as I was in desperate need for a car as my new born baby was due to come out of hospital the next day.
On the email it says "
I forgot to inform you that as you were travelling from work, you need commuting on your policy. I will inform customer services and they will be in contact." But I haven't heard anything back from them. The email goes on to say that they will notify their people they use to take the car away and will sort out valuation etc next week. I'm so worried my insurance will be null and void and it's making me sick. Is there any way I could pay the difference of what I'd have paid if I did have commuting on my policy? What advice do people have? I can't stop panicking and shaking. It was an honest mistake

Soldato
There's a chance that they will allow you to pay the difference and youll be covered but at the same time you're essentially uninsured if you haven't notified them of your use. Insurance companies will do all they can to avoid paying, Its going to be a guessing game if they're going to allow you to pay for the proper cover now or not.

Soldato
Often they will allow you to pay the difference on the policy (+ extra) before paying out.

How much was the car worth and what is your voluntary and compulsory excess?

Associate
Hmmmm. In my experience anything and anytime an insurance company can get out of paying they will. I would say it's probably 50-50 they will say you are not covered.

Associate
OP
Often they will allow you to pay the difference on the policy (+ extra) before paying out.

How much was the car worth and what is your voluntary and compulsory excess?
When I bought the car (around 3 months ago!) It cost me £2995. The voluntary excess is £250
So I'm assuming the compulsory is the same. I don't know whether to contact them or not

Associate
OP
You don't have commute.. you took that as it was a little cheaper. You are screwed.
It was an honest mistake. As I said, my new born baby was coming out of neo natal intensive care and I was in such a rush I just clicked the wrong thing. I'd happily now pay the difference if it means my claim will go through. I didn't pick it because it was the cheapest option

Man of Honour
Giving them a call to chase it up will do no harm but as others have said it's 50/50 whether they'll rob you of some more cash or leave you high and dry.

Soldato
Can you get insurance without ti and from work cover? I understand business use as being something hugely different but basic to and from work?
Andi.
Wow this does seem to be a thing and is catching a lot of people out.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Can you get insurance without ti and from work cover? I understand business use as being something hugely different but basic to and from work?
Andi.
I've got social, domestic and leisure cover, but you can get social, domestic and leisure + commute, which I didn't put on mine. I'm so worried right now and don't know what to say to them on the phone

Soldato
Isn't your usual place of work is included in social, domestic and pleasure?

Always used to be. But it's been some time since I've had an SDP policy. Seems they've changed.

Man of Honour
Sadly when it comes to insurance it is all about the small print and cheap is rarely good I'm afraid, it's just cheap. Most of the time it doesn't matter as you are legal and you don't need it, but come your time of need...

Hope it works out for you.

Permabanned
No commute means driving at peak times. The OP chose not to want this. The insurance company will refuse. There will be no pay a little premium why would they when its stipulated on the form.

Caporegime
No commute means driving at peak times. The OP chose not to want this. The insurance company will refuse. There will be no pay a little premium why would they when its stipulated on the form.
Does that mean if you work say 6am-2pm then you don’t “commute”?

Commuting to me means travelling from home to work and back again, regardless of the time of day.

Associate
OP
I don't know if it's worth me ringing the insurers and explaining to them what's happened, explain that I made a silly mistake and would happily pay the extra amount now that I would have paid if I had commuting on my policy? Would that make any difference? I could even change my policy right now to include commuting?!

Man of Honour
Can't imagine it will have saved much. I added business travel to my policy some years back and that only set me back £2.

£20 for me :( but it is what it is but for social only my quotes are often really low so I can't complain too much.

EDIT: I have to say IMO commuting to work should be covered - it is very easy to overlook and I'd bet several people who've read/posted in this thread didn't realise they weren't covered :s

Back
Top Bottom