Asus Rog Swift PG278Q - power supply broken, will this one work...

Associate
Sparing the long story, will a Delta power brick from a laptop with the following specs be safe to use on my Asus Rog Swift PG278Q?

Delta ADP-40PH
19v
2.1A
40W

The Rog Swift power brick is rated :

Asus ADP-90YD.B
19v
4.7A
90W

The lower powered laptop charger seems to be powering the screen fine for now browsing the web, but will it cause any damage being lesser spec? Whats the worse that could happen?

Soldato
I wouldn't, as looking at the specs for that monitor it has a power usage of 38.7 W.

For me that's too close to the rating for the Delta. The chances are you will be getting higher spike power draw given they are supplying a 90 W power unit.

So maybe a a very temp usage, but keep a good eye on it. Delta are a good make so if it is overloaded it should cut out.

And don't use the USB hub feature as I'm assuming it's powered hub and will draw more power.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply/help.

I tried to reduce the power draw of the monitor as much as I can by reducing the brightness and turning off the flashy glowing red base.

It seems to be alright for now, and was just a stop gap until I get paid so hopefully holds out at least until Christmas is over!

Man of Honour
With turning down the brightness you should be able to get it within those specs but I highly recommend atleast 4amp/19V so as to be able to handle current spikes due to things like capacitors charging and other features.

The stock power brick for those monitors is absolute junk - I've stuck a couple of them on an oscilloscope and the regulation is very poor - infact you are probably in no worse position using that Delta than the stock one hah - the amount of ripple and voltage jumping around under load can't be good at all for the monitor.

Man of Honour
But isn't that exactly the purpose?
To get buyer have need to buy another gaming trinket after few years...

It wouldn't surprise me at all - same as has been mentioned recently about some circuits specifically designed so that the heat from one component ensured a shorter lifespan for another despite it being possible to design a PCB to avoid that.

Back
Top Bottom