• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Merry xmas my 980ti hybrid just died what now

Associate
Hi all,

I am not going to lie i was happy like a pig in S with this card its been a beauty, just a month over the 3 year warranty its just decided to nearly catch on fire the smell was unreal luckily i was in and turned the pc off. Swapped out for old old old card pc is ok.

The 980ti was running 4k ultra on bfV getting 50 to 60 fps, i was not happy with the new cards so was going to skip this expensive crappy gen that has just come out, unfortunately i have my hands tied and do not know what to go for i want it to play bfV full at 4k ultra can anyone recommend what to go for i do like my hybrid cooler and quite how do the 2080 and 2080ti fan cards run cool/quite ?

What do i do boys help can afford the ti but just dont want to give it to them LOL

Forgot to say i got Gysnc

RIP

Last edited:
Soldato
I still see 2080Ti's for nearly £1500. I'd use FE as a guide and those haven't dropped and probably won't for some time. Some of the AIB cards will drop, but the prices have been exceptionally high in some cases.
Bit of a difficult decision for OP. Ideally they should skip the last gen (coming from a 980 Ti) so that really means if they don't want to sit it out for a while they will need something from the 20 series, unless they're willing to "tolerate" :) an AMD card.
I'd say 2070 or 2080 personally, especially if they want to upgrade again to a better RT card next gen. The Ti would be the best choice given their 4K requirement.
Another option could be to get a 1080 Ti used, if they can find one for a decent price.

Associate
OP
I still see 2080Ti's for nearly £1500. I'd use FE as a guide and those haven't dropped and probably won't for some time.
Bit of a difficult decision for OP. Ideally they should skip the last gen (coming from a 980 Ti) so that really means if they don't want to sit it out for a while they will need something from the 20 series, unless they're willing to "tolerate" :) an AMD card.

Great timing hey LOL, yeah heads done in unfortunately i have got the predator 28-inch Gysnc so am stuck with Nvidia scared of going to the fans again this system i have been using is so quite not sure how the new cards are running temp and quite side

Soldato
Great timing hey LOL, yeah heads done in unfortunately i have got the predator 28-inch Gysnc so am stuck with Nvidia scared of going to the fans again this system i have been using is so quite not sure how the new cards are running temp and quite side

Wow, that's unlucky!

If it was me, I'd just bite the bullet and buy an MSI Armor 2070.

Or a s/h 1080Ti for around the same dosh.

Should do you for a couple of years.

OCUK have dropped their price to the same most other etailers are knocking it out for, £470.

Hexus have a good review of it.

Soldato
Apart from the fact they have already started falling?

They ain't going up from here.

2080ti now below £1k and 2080 below £650.

Minor correction... as expected, and prices were inflated out the gate (way above MSRP). Hardly indicative of prices "tumbling". Besides, the majority of cards are still at crazy prices, and plenty of people are buying them.

Associate
OP
Would definitely ping the manufacturer just in case - for it to catch fire is pretty excessive :/ You never know, they might be willing to put some money towards a replacement? :)

Nearly caught fire LOL but yeah something was burning out, plate at the back was red hot to touch doubt they will be interested with it over the warranty.

Associate
OP
Wow, that's unlucky!

If it was me, I'd just bite the bullet and buy an MSI Armor 2070.

Or a s/h 1080Ti for around the same dosh.

Should do you for a couple of years.

OCUK have dropped their price to the same most other etailers are knocking it out for, £470.

Hexus have a good review of it.

This is a possible move just reading about the benchmarks etc cheers

Soldato
Nearly caught fire LOL but yeah something was burning out, plate at the back was red hot to touch doubt they will be interested with it over the warranty.

if it has warranty you are entitled to it and they will repair it. If they don't i am sure a strongly worded email and smalls claims court in one sentence should bring them to their senses. If they are selling an item that is a fire hazard, well that is all sorts of nonsense they don even want to go down legally.

in terms of what card

a second hand 1080Ti will give you great performance for £400-£450 and if you get lucky you should fine one with lots of warranty left. Look for EVGA, gigabyte, ASUS or MSI they all do warranty from date of manufacture if you dont have original receipt or owner.

Associate
OP
if it has warranty you are entitled to it and they will repair it. If they don't i am sure a strongly worded email and smalls claims court in one sentence should bring them to their senses. If they are selling an item that is a fire hazard, well that is all sorts of nonsense they don even want to go down legally.

in terms of what card

a second hand 1080Ti will give you great performance for £400-£450 and if you get lucky you should fine one with lots of warranty left. Look for EVGA, gigabyte, ASUS or MSI they all do warranty from date of manufacture if you dont have original receipt or owner.

You know what i suppose i have not got nothing to lose, will send an email and see what happens yeah the 1080ti is what i was happy to get then the cards prices rocketed in the wrong way.

Soldato
I still see 2080Ti's for nearly £1500. I'd use FE as a guide and those haven't dropped and probably won't for some time. Some of the AIB cards will drop, but the prices have been exceptionally high in some cases.
I'd say 2070 or 2080 personally, especially if they want to upgrade again to a better RT card next gen. The Ti would be the best choice given their 4K requirement.
Another option could be to get a 1080 Ti used, if they can find one for a decent price.

How is looking at the most expensive version of something the way to measure the price?

EVGA 2080Ti can be bought for less than £1K.

Soldato
How is looking at the most expensive version of something the way to measure the price?

EVGA 2080Ti can be bought for less than £1K.
I said that the comparison should be the FE cards. Few really want the cheapest version, while the £1500 cards are quite commonly found and there's a supply/demand premium in those. FE cards IMO are the baseline for price comparisons.When NV drop the price of those, then it's clear it's across the board.

Last edited:
Associate
Back
Top Bottom