Veganuary?

Soldato
The name offends me, ffs at least movember only changed 1 letter veganuary stretches that logic so far it breaks.

Must be a lack of some essential protien screwing with their heads to make them think thats a good idea, bit of steak should cure that right up.

Soldato
Going full vegan seems excessive, but if everyone thought about what they ate, and ate a bit less, then it would really help everyone. I never get why everyone gets so angry in threads like these. Essentially the human consumption of meat is partly killing the planet and any effort to reduce it can only be a good thing, however every time anyone suggests cutting down at all people nail their steaks to their chest and cry, "over my cow's dead body". Baffling really.

nobody likes to hear about their bad habits, folk go into defense mode :p

Soldato
The whole debate from each camp is just ridiculous, especially as it comes from so called adults.

Can't stand the vegans who preach it like a holy grail, can't stand those who feel they are superior because they eat meat, pretty ridiculous.

Caporegime
Tbh I've seen more people boldly declare their love for flesh than I've seen declare their love for eating grass so they're as annoying as preachy vegans.

I've been having less diary and meat, I still love both and enjoy both but there's nothing wrong with cutting down just to be a bit healthier.

Associate
I'm 48 and have lived around vegetarians all my life (my brother is a vegetarian, I was with my 80 year old uncle yesterday who has been vegetarian since he was 16). Around half the people I regularly associate with are vegetarian. I do voluntary work in an organisation that has a cafe. The cafe manager is a Vegan, the cafe serves meat dishes.
I have never been preached to by a vegetarian or vegan, and nobody has ever tried to make me feel uncomfortable about eating meat. Preachy vegans/veggies is not a stereotype I recognize.

This thread is the first I have heard of Veganuary. Well done for promoting it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Essentially the human consumption of meat is partly killing the planet and any effort to reduce it can only be a good thing

There have been 5 mass extinctions in the history of our planet that we know of, we're not killing the planet, we're just potentially killing ourselves and other life

Eventually when the sun dies and burns the planet in 1 and half billion years, none of what we've done will matter anyway if we've not figured out how to travel faster than the speed of light and colonised other star systems

I'm going to enjoy meat in my short existence though

Associate
Eventually when the sun dies and burns the planet i

The sun will become too hot during its present hydrogen burning phase for complex life to exist on Earth, and that process will begin in about 1.1 billion years, culminating in 3.5 billion years as all the water boils and evaporates into space. But the sun won't be in its death phase at that point. The sun will end its hydrogen phase in about 5.4 billion years.
But yes, what's the point eh? Let's do nothing about anything.

Last edited:
Associate
We're going to to have to replace the notation of "how do you know some one is vegan - they'll tell you" with "how do you know some one is vegan - there is someone raging at them" going off this thread.

I try and eat less meat and never really got the whole I can't live without Steak thing, can't think of a worse food. Unfortunately went through a packet of pigs in blankets tonight oops xD

Soldato
Getting sick of all this nanny state nonsense.

I will eat/drink/smoke/do want I want to. As long as it does not interfere with others what's the issue.

Soldato
I think it is quite a good idea. It raises awareness that there's an alternative diet available, and people can try it if they want. There's no nanny state or anything being forced down anyone else's throat. Some additional awareness about what it entails, how to maintain a healthy and enjoyable diet while making the choice - that's all fine. I don't see it as any different to Dry January or Stoptober etc. If you don't want to participate or find out more about it, just move on.

Soldato
Getting sick of all this nanny state nonsense.

I will eat/drink/smoke/do want I want to. As long as it does not interfere with others what's the issue.

What Nanny state nonsense? Veganuary was proposed by a charity, not by the government. No one is forcing you to eat or not eat anything.

Caporegime
Soldato
I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian, but am actively trying to cut down. I have moral issues with eating meat, and also the thoughts that it doesn't seem like the healthiest food choice. I spent a couple of months meat free last year and felt a lot healthier for it. Cancer causing bacon anyone? Probably hilarious until you get it...

Back
Top Bottom