Veganuary?

Soldato
Getting sick of all this nanny state nonsense.

I will eat/drink/smoke/do want I want to. As long as it does not interfere with others what's the issue.

I think the idea is that - on some level - it does interfere with others. If not now then certainly in the future.

Not a vegan myself, but have cut back a lot on meat the past few months and feel all the better for it.

Soldato
I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian, but am actively trying to cut down. I have moral issues with eating meat, and also the thoughts that it doesn't seem like the healthiest food choice. Cancer causing bacon anyone? Probably hilarious until you get it...
Pocessed meat, processed vegetables.

Just think pesticides.

Soldato
I think the idea is that - on some level - it does interfere with others. If not now then certainly in the future.

Not a vegan myself, but have cut back a lot on meat the past few months and feel all the better for it.
Bloody hell breathing affects others, where do you stop?

Soldato
that vegan burger above looks tasty,

surely science can make it taste and smell decent too? when that day comes i'll happily convert until then bacon butties ftw

and in regards to nanny state its all Jamie Olivers fault, annoying *****

Soldato
Possibly the worst choice of month to be try being a vegan no? Why not a month in summer when varied and plentiful fruits and vegetables are around instead of turnips

To be fair after Christmas lot of people are fed up of meat. :) We're cutting down meat to once a week, twice at most for a while. I agree though that from availability and freshness of fruit and veg it is a weird choice.

Caporegime
Getting sick of all this nanny state nonsense.

I will eat/drink/smoke/do want I want to. As long as it does not interfere with others what's the issue.

It does interfere with other people though, doesn't it? The state has to spend billions dealing with people that either can't look after themselves when it comes to food or give themselves a whole load of nasty diseases by smoking. So sure, if you want to sign a form to indemnify you from being someone else's problem, the 'nanny state' will continue to exist. Like it or not, we live in a welfare state.

Soldato
How is this conclusion reached exactly? I'm not saying it's false, it just seems like hyperbole on first impression.

For this reason basically.....

indisputably.

Raising livestock for meat, eggs and milk generates 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emissions, the second highest source of emissions and greater than all transportation combined. It also uses about 70% of agricultural land, and is one of the leading causes of deforestation, biodiversity loss, and water pollution.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...mental-impact-james-cameron-suzy-amis-cameron

And to everyone saying, "to hell with everyone else on the planet, I'm going to do what I want and eat 50 steaks a day because I can!" go on then. Saying such things doesn't make you clever, its not like youre going to follow through on it, your health will suffer and its just as obnoxious as a militant vegan jumping down your throat about eating a burger from time to time.

I also don't see why eating meat always seems like some god given right which stands above all others. No one burns tyres or all their plastic waste in their back garden, just because they can. Most people don't leave their engine running all the time, just because they can. I imagine this is partly because there is an economic and environmental cost to these things. Well eating meat all the time is no different. No one needs to eat meat for every meal, and the only reason to do so seems to be a lack of imagination and habit. Ultimately its more expensive than veggie only meals, worse for your health, worse for the environment, worse for animal welfare, worse for a lot of reasons. Really there is no problem with having meat from time to time, but all the time is unnecessary and damaging. This campaign is just raising awareness of the costs of dairy and egg production (which are horrendous by the way).

No one is taking your steak away, but if everyone just ate a little less meat, eggs and milk products, then everyone else would be all the better for it.

Soldato
I'll stick to my steaks thanks, something on the BBC now about it.

Surely the cultivation of crops for vegans are as harmful to the environment as cattle farming.
Not even close, I'm afraid. The environmental argument for going vegan is actually a pretty strong one. Not strong enough to make me give up my steaks though - I just have to own the fact I'm being selfish.

Caporegime
Gf is doing veganuary. I'm tryingvegetarian for a month.
I do worry that at some point she may resent me if she does go full vegan, she brings up I eat 'meat' some times, but it's only really when we eat out /takeaway. She says she won't, I believe her. But it can become a stronger need over time.

I do think that vegans are 'better' for the planet.
And I do think she's right in her justifications.
But it is a growing trend. Which is good for the planet.

Soldato
Not even close, I'm afraid. The environmental argument for going vegan is actually a pretty strong one. Not strong enough to make me give up my steaks though - I just have to own the fact I'm being selfish.

Is the environmental impact as strong as they lead you to believe? Soy farming is one of the biggest contributors to deforestation of the Brazilian rainforest amongst other places, coconut oil is no better in asia, then there's the impact of processing and transporting the large quantities halfway across the globe.

Animals tend to be sustained by less fertile/arable soil so even if you replaced cow/chicken farms and the corn fields that support them your not necessarily going to grow anything like enough of a varied diet you need to sustain a vegan population. so you need to maintain massive monoculture farms in areas that can provide suitable growth destroying that area in the process.

im not against veganism and these are just observations from my limited agricultural knowledge, I just don't think its the holy grail its portrayed as, its the lesser of 2 evils by far. im all for cutting down our meat consumption though. I just think we should be leaning towards promoting local sourced food over an international diet - turnips all round :D

Now pescatarians, there the weird bunch!

Soldato
Four of the first five posts were either people being annoyed, lying or aggressive. Not great.

I've got no problem with veganism. It's better for the planet. They're not stopping me from eating meat, and I've never had a vegan be 'militant' to me either.

My response was to being conned into signing a sponsor form that was going round the club. A - because it wasn't a charity, just a group wanting money for campaign leaflets and stuff and B - because they didn't even do the sea dip properly.

I've nothing against vegan and I'm actively cutting down my meat and dairy intake.

Back
Top Bottom