Urgent help with new build pc no video output and possible not booting!!

Associate
I just built a new pc with the following specs;

Case-Corsair Obsidian 750 Full Tower ATX

Motherboard-Asus ROG STRIX AMD Ryzen X470-F GAMING AM4 ATX

CPU-AMD AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Gen2 8 Core AM4

Memory-Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 16GB 3200 MHz DDR4

PSU-Corsair HX850i 850W Full Modular

GPU-AMD Radeon RX 590 Red Devil 8GB GDDR5

Liquid cooler-Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB

SSD-Samsung (MZ-V6E500BW) 500GB 960 EVO PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe

HDD- Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA 3 Hard Disk Drive/HDD ST1000DM010

Optical Drive-ASUS x24 DVD/CD Re-Writer with M-DISC Support

Monitor-Samsung C27F390 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor – HDMI

BIG problem;

On power on all fans and all RGB on the motherboard, AIO and RAM and the light on the GPU all light up. The motherboard does not seem to have a speaker so cannot determine if there are any beeps or the motherboard boots up to the post as I cannot get any video from the AMD Radeon RX 590 graphics card or from the onboard graphics card, hence Windows is not installed, just trying to get to the BIOS without success and don’t know if the motherboard even boots up. I have tried two different monitors without success using an assortment of cables on the relevant monitors DVI-D to DVI-D, HDMI to HDMI, HDMI to VGA.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Associate
OP
The manual says there are LEDS at the top right of the board but I can't see any or they don't come on but there is one LED at the bottom right hand corner which is orange or near dam to.
2019-01-09-00-53-05.jpg

This LED lights up to indicate that the system is ON, in sleep mode or in soft-off mode according to the manual.
No LEDS light up when powering on or at anytime.
2019-01-09-01-13-56.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Build it out of the case, you might have something shorting it between the mb and the case, a riser in the wrong place for example.

Deffo this, try breadboarding the whole thing. Do you have a spare GPU at all? Maybe try switching the GPU and seeing if anything changes.

Soldato
CPU ATX12v power connectors in?

Just a thought; I've done it...

And me, also the GPU power connections

Another thing to think of is depending on your connection to the monitor it may not show a picture till it gets to windows.

If I use displayport I get black screen until windows log on screen, using HDMI I see bios splash screen as normal

Associate
OP
CPU ATX12v power connectors in?

Just a thought; I've done it...
Good observation, did not connect the 8 pin ATX power connector, totally my ignorance:eek:

Now that the 8 pin ATX power is connected the four LEDS at the top right corner that @PiKe mentioned above go into their sequence which is first Yellow then Red then White and then Green but the White and Green remain on which according to the manual “if an error is found, the corresponding LED remains lit until the problem is solved”
2019-01-09-11-03-01.jpg

Yellow is for the DRAM, Red for the CPU, White for VGA and Yellow Green for the BOOT
@MeatLoaf I have tried both the GPU and the onboard graphics card via HDMI and still no display.
@Threepwood I will try and test it with another monitor that I know works as I'm using it now and the I will take it all apart and do then build it out of the case as you suggest.
It may take me a little while to come back and post the results.

Thank you all for your help.

Associate
Good observation, did not connect the 8 pin ATX power connector, totally my ignorance:eek:

Now that the 8 pin ATX power is connected the four LEDS at the top right corner that @PiKe mentioned above go into their sequence which is first Yellow then Red then White and then Green but the White and Green remain on which according to the manual “if an error is found, the corresponding LED remains lit until the problem is solved”
2019-01-09-11-03-01.jpg

Yellow is for the DRAM, Red for the CPU, White for VGA and Yellow Green for the BOOT
@MeatLoaf I have tried both the GPU and the onboard graphics card via HDMI and still no display.
@Threepwood I will try and test it with another monitor that I know works as I'm using it now and the I will take it all apart and do then build it out of the case as you suggest.
It may take me a little while to come back and post the results.

Thank you all for your help.

Ooh that doesn't sound promising... I only say that because I had the EXACT same problem with my PC around a week ago, white LED was staying on and there was no display or boot. Turned out the problem was my CPU because a switch with another CPU for the same socket worked fine, so I sent it for RMA. I hope it isn't the same problem in your case.

Edit: Just realised the 2700X doesn't have integrated graphics, so it may not be the case for you.

Have you attached the power connectors to the graphics card too?

Associate
OP
Well that confuses me as to why there are a HDMI port and a DP port on the rear I/O panel.:confused:
One more question when connecting the power to the GPU which has an eight pin connection and a six pin connection can I use the same cable which has both plugs at one end and the PCIE at the other or do I have to use two different cables for example one for the 8 pin and one for the six pin?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that confuses me as to why there are a HDMI port and a DP port on the rear I/O panel.:confused:
One more question when connecting the power to the GPU which has an eight pin connection and a six pin connection can I use the same cable which has both plugs at one end and the PCIE at the other or do I have to use two different cables for example one for the 8 pin and one for the six pin?

you can use a single cable that has dual 6+2 pcie pin on them :)

that unit is fine to use just one cable with 2 plugs

Associate
OP
Just to clarify my ignorance I can use just one cable as the one shown from the PSU to the GPU use the 6+2 for the 8pin connection and use the 6pin from the other 6+2 end for the 6pin connection :confused:
2019-01-09-13-16-05.jpg

Associate

So the reason there is an HDMI and a DP port on your motherboard is because IF your CPU has integrated graphics, then you can plug your cable directly into the motherboard to use the CPU integrated graphics instead of having to use a separate graphics card. Your specific CPU doesn't have in-built graphics which is why it won't work when you plug the cable into the motherboard. However if you happened to have a 2200G or 2400G CPU instead, then plugging a cable into the motherboard would work just fine.

Associate
OP
Now the White LED has gone off as I changed the display connection from the I/O back panel, as a couple of you have pointed out the 2700XI does not have onboard graphics, I then reinstalled the GPU back and reconnected to the monitor via HDMI, the only change is that the White LED does not stay on anymore but still have no splash picture and no BOOT! The Green light is still on indicating a BOOT problem!
2019-01-09-14-11-53.jpg

Back
Top Bottom