When do experts stop being experts?

Permabanned
Experts don't all agree. You can always find an expert with whatever view you want to push. That's why experts don't add anything to the credibility of an article.

Soldato
It's bizarre isn't it

We know intelligence has a strong inherited component

And we know that different geographical population groups* have varying ranges of attributes that are based on inherited characteristics (height, athletic ability etc)

So it would be rather expected that we would see some variance in intelligence, by average and or distribution, between different longstanding geographical population groups*.

* I have deliberately avoided using the word 'race' as it inevitably turns into a silly argument over how a race is or isn't defined.

None the less there are differeces between different geographical population groups....

For example it's not a coincidence that a disproportionate amount of the best sprinters have recent heritage from the Caribbean and long distance runners from parts of East Africa.

Last edited:
Soldato
What evidence is there that black people aren’t as clever as white people? Because that’s basically what he’s saying.

You won't find a reputable study that gives you a simple answer to the question one way or another. No scientist or university that wants not to instantly achieve pariah status would seek to undertake such a study so directly. You have to read around a few different studies I would suggest to form any informed opinions on this.

https://news.sky.com/story/dna-pion...-honours-after-reckless-race-remarks-11606108

This just highlights that so called expert opinion is in truth not worth listening to.

Should we listen to his expert based on his years of experience and knowledge even if it's reprehensible? Or are we to discount it based on our modern enlightenment?

Is it reprehensible because its politically taboo or entirely untrue? I can't say I have ever seen a study that could suggest that there isn't any variance in distribution or averaged inteligence between different geophraphical population groups with all differences having to be explained by some combination of nurture, educational opportunities or social constructs.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem i've always found with any expert is that there's always a vested interest, no matter how small. The science community, for example, has a lot of interest in keeping it's funding so is always going to back things that would support that.

It's a shame but just indicative of how things are nowadays. If you ever come up with a way to sort through it let me know (i'm not even 100% certain peer review is enough these days, it's still just more people with vested interests :().

Caporegime
Disclaimer - not saying I agree with him, IQ is a very flawed measure.... but this sort of area shouldn't be taboo or shut down by extreme virtue signalling whenever anyone highlights any potential differences.

genetics.jpg

Soldato
This always reminds me of a South African friend of mine and some of the stories he had, high tech farms taken from white occupants and given to blacks for reparation. They are then stripped of any copper and left to ruin. This will someone end up being the fault of white farmers for building industry that has a requirement to be maintained.

Riches waiting to be exploited everywhere on that continent and yet their nations have just gone backwards.

I think it's fairly well accepted that east Asians do better academically than others, how much of this is due to culture vs genetics is an interesting subject. It's not racist to point this out. Is African failing cultural or genetic?

Caporegime
This always reminds me of a South African friend of mine and some of the stories he had, high tech farms taken from white occupants and given to blacks for reparation. They are then stripped of any copper and left to ruin. This will someone end up being the fault of white farmers for building industry that has a requirement to be maintained.

Riches waiting to be exploited everywhere on that continent and yet their nations have just gone backwards.

I think it's fairly well accepted that east Asians do better academically than others, how much of this is due to culture vs genetics is an interesting subject. It's not racist to point this out. Is African failing cultural or genetic?

None of which has anything at all to do with intelligence, in the slightest.

What you're describing is situations. Poor people with bad education and a peoples who were oppressed for decades, hundreds of years really, who wanted to take back their land. What happened was stupid, but you had oppression and white people taking land and then having the rewards of the oppression by keeping the land. People who didn't farm not knowing how to farm well isn't indicative of intelligence, it's indicative of poor people who weren't trained. it doesn't mean they can't be trained, it doesn't mean they are too stupid to learn, it's that the people who lived there spent a lifetime farming and those who took the land (back) hadn't spent a lifetime farming.

A potential measure of intelligence would be comparing a black farmer who owned land for the same amount of time as the white farmers and if they were all incapable of farming. I mean, if you went and took over a farm today... would you instantly be as successful as the people you took the farm from, no, of course, does that mean you're stupid, no, because it's got nothing at all to do with a measure of intelligence.

AS for asians doing well academically, again no not really, culturally they are pushed harder in general and their society/culture place a higher emphasis in academic study. Again people studying harder is not a measure of intelligence, but knowledge, culture, personal decisions. intelligence would be if one set of kids couldn't learn to the same level given all the same teaching, education to that point, etc.

There are few studies anywhere that can measure racial differences in intelligence, because schools in south africa and schools in England aren't generally comparable. There are too many differentiating factors in different cultural groups, in how much education their parents had, in how early they are expected to start working to help support the family, in how high an emphasis their society places in education, in the quality of education available, etc, etc.

Soldato
To the above comment, does it not require intelligence as a group in any race to see that longterm plans outweigh short term gains. Which is exactly what the Chinese man is saying with both the state of the farms and the analogy of them drinking their money in a day and asking for handouts.

Back
Top Bottom