• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Soldato
Lets face it, right now the "newer tech" is an overblown gimmick that is years away from being mainstream. You'll get a few games supporting it obviously but for the here and now it's nothing special in any way.

Vii around the same power as a vega 64 so could likely be tweaked down a bit. Even then the consumption is the absolute max it can pull, i'd doubt it would normally get near that. My vega strix at 1440p according to wattman it's usually in the 150w range or thereabouts.

I can get about 180w from my own undervolted vega but it’s still a hot part compared to the 20 series.

Completely agree on the newer tech but if it’s a choice of having it or not having it for the same money then it’s back to no brainier time.

£100 less mind and I’m sold myself!

Man of Honour
Good point, hadn’t considered that.

More to the point it was blue and that blue has some clever ass story behind it. If you are unaware of the coolness of the blue then I suggest that you google "Radeon Pro WX Series and YInMn Blue" and watch the youtube video as its some really interesting stuff. Did I mention it was blue?

I'll also be replacing a vega 56 ref board :) My one is flashed with a 64 bios which straight away opens up a ton of extra performance. Free performance = win.

Soldato
More to the point it was blue and that blue has some clever ass story behind it. If you are unaware of the coolness of the blue then I suggest that you google "Radeon Pro WX Series and YInMn Blue" and watch the youtube video as its some really interesting stuff. Did I mention it was blue?

I'll also be replacing a vega 56 ref board :) My one is flashed with a 64 bios which straight away opens up a ton of extra performance. Free performance = win.

Thanks... Very interesting video on the pigment.

Was disappointed with the release tbh. Spent money a on a third 4k TV instead and 1000 down on a new car lol.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We don't know at this point if it is "inferior" or not, just have to wait for reviews to see.

AMD' own marketing suggests performance slightly under 2080, and it would be unusual if petrol romance in the real world wasn't slightly lower that AMDs marketing

Once reviews hit performance will be a little above the 2070

Caporegime
I'll hold you to this.

FuryX benchmarks against the 980ti ring any bells.

And as I said, AMD's own marketing suggest it falls short of the 2080.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-first-radeon-7-benchmark-results-in-25-games

At lower resolutions Radeon 7 will fall further behind, as it is only the huge bandwidth helping at 4K maxed out.

So even if we trust AMD's figures are 100% accurate, then by their own admission it is slower than a 2080.

The only question is how much slower.

Soldato
FuryX benchmarks against the 980ti ring any bells.

And as I said, AMD's own marketing suggest it falls short of the 2080.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-first-radeon-7-benchmark-results-in-25-games

At lower resolutions Radeon 7 will fall further behind, as it is only the huge bandwidth helping at 4K maxed out.

So even if we trust AMD's figures are 100% accurate, then by their own admission it is slower than a 2080.

The only question is how much slower.

I had a quick google and I couldn't find loads benchmarks against vega 7 just users like yourself posting junk food. Yeah AMD released numbers but you can not compare early numbers from a product not yet released.

And surprise, surprise only one Nvidia game on that list and its one of the worst for performance let alone known to run least 10fps slower on VEGA 64 vs 1080 now its what 3/4 FPS slower "GROUND BREAKING" All games must be slower D.P said so! The guy that said AMD wouldn't release a VEGA 7nm gaming GPU and wouldn't push performance against Nvidia in 2019.

Only thing AMD has is Navi!!!

Waits for the rubbish reply why am wrong!

Caporegime
I had a quick google and I couldn't find loads benchmarks against vega 7 just users like yourself posting junk food. Yeah AMD released numbers but you can not compare early numbers from a product not yet released.
These are AMD's numbers. If they didn;t think they were representative then they shouldn't; have released therm. But considered the GPU is released in a few weeks what do you really expect to change, especially given the architecture is identical to Vega64.

And surprise, surprise only one Nvidia game on that list and its one of the worst for performance let alone known to run least 10fps slower on VEGA 64 vs 1080 now its what 3/4 FPS slower "GROUND BREAKING"
AMD chose the games to benchmark, they had the free choice to pick whatever they wanted.

All games must be slower D.P said so!
Where did I say that? Why do you have to resort to blatant lies?

The guy that said AMD wouldn't release a VEGA 7nm gaming GPU and wouldn't push performance against Nvidia in 2019.
I repeated what AMD said publicly, I assume the yields of Vega20 are worse than they expected. I admitted I was wrong, so what?

Lets start again. AMD's own official publicly released benchmark figures suggest Radeon 7 is going to be behind a 2080. I have repated AMD's own performance expections, and you are claiming that I am wrong. So is AMD lying?

Only thing AMD has is Navi!!!
As a GPU aimed for gamers, yes that is right.

Waits for the rubbish reply why am wrong!

Well according to you AMD is also wrong about their own performance benchmarks and magically only you know the truth.

Soldato
OP
So rumours suggest there'll be no custom cards and only a limited number of cards available (anywhere from 5k to 60k). As suspected, this card is rather useless aside from as a stopgap for "staying in the game" and so AMD can go down in history as having the first 7nm GPU.

Permabanned
Caporegime
AMD' own marketing suggests performance slightly under 2080, and it would be unusual if petrol romance in the real world wasn't slightly lower that AMDs marketing

Once reviews hit performance will be a little above the 2070

Petrol romance......do you ever look at your posts before clicking post? Let me guess, it was typed on a phone...like every post you've ever made seemingly. :eek:

Last edited:
Caporegime
So rumours suggest there'll be no custom cards and only a limited number of cards available (anywhere from 5k to 60k). As suspected, this card is rather useless aside from as a stopgap for "staying in the game" and so AMD can go down in history as having the first 7nm GPU.

Hate to break it to you, but they would have already have had the first 7nm gpu had they released it as a gaming card or not.

Caporegime
Soldato
It's not bad, but if it's at the same price point as the RTX2080 it's going to be a hard sell, hopefully these are an example of early drivers and things will improve.

Can't see drivers doing much as it's still vega at the core and they've had over a year of drivers for it. Though according to the hardocp interview they say it should trade blows with 2080.
Would have wait and see when they card landed at a reviewer and overclocking it.

There's a possibility that AMD made have made the same mistake as the Vega56/64 where they putting too high stock voltage due to being too conservative, considering it is based on the Vega architecture even if it is on the 7nm.

Also AMD has a long history at first just trading blow with Nvidia's counterparts (i.e. vs 670/680, vs 780/780ti, vs 1060/1070/1080), but as times goes by they pull ahead of them.

But consideration the existence of 1080ti, AMD is definitely way to late to the party with the Radeon VII, but at the moment it is a question of should people buy 2080 or a Radeon VII.

Last edited:
Caporegime
AMD's card has a long history at first just trading blow with Nvidia's counterparts (i.e. vs 670/680, vs 780/780ti), but as times goes by they pull ahead of them.

A possibility but realistically they should have most of that performance available for launch to show the card in its best light. All cards get performance bumps as time goes on but for amd it generally seems to be a case of them initially losing slightly then winning later on when most people have already based their purchase on day one reviews. It's not ideal to say the least when first impressions count for so much.

Soldato
Also AMD has a long history at first just trading blow with Nvidia's counterparts (i.e. vs 670/680, vs 780/780ti, vs 1060/1070/1080), but as times goes by they pull ahead of them.

It's not a new Architecture though. It's just Vega on 7nm and they have had nearly 18 months to optimise that. The 2080 that it's up against is new.

Caporegime
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64501/amd-radeon-vii-less-5000-available-custom-cards/index.html

AMD Radeon VII: less than 5000 available, no custom cards

AMD will also loose money on each card sold, whihc ties well with the earlier news of the RTG Boss:
https://wccftech.com/exclusive-mike-rayfield-amd-retires/

He presented suggestions that werent really feasible such as ‘Radeon VII ‘ which was to be a Vega 20 based consumer facing part that cost $750 to build and would barely tie in with an [NVIDIA] GTX 1080 Ti

That news seems to be spot on. So the RTG manger was forced out for suggesting an infeasible Radeon VII that would cost $750 build, and here we are a couple of months later with a Radeon 7 at $700 that AMD looses money on.

Don't expect the prices to stay south of 700 quid for very long!

Caporegime
It's not a new Architecture though. It's just Vega on 7nm and they have had nearly 18 months to optimise that. The 2080 that it's up against is new.

I think this is often glossed voer due to the prices and Ray tracing, but the Turing architecture is new with significant changes to the back end, so if any GPU is going to gain more performance it is Turing.

Caporegime
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64501/amd-radeon-vii-less-5000-available-custom-cards/index.html

AMD will also loose money on each card sold, whihc ties well with the earlier news of the RTG Boss:
https://wccftech.com/exclusive-mike-rayfield-amd-retires/

That news seems to be spot on. So the RTG manger was forced out for suggesting an infeasible Radeon VII that would cost $750 build, and here we are a couple of months later with a Radeon 7 at $700 that AMD looses money on.

Don't expect the prices to stay south of 700 quid for very long!

You don't know if they're losing money on the card or not, most of that is just the usual "sources" crap that any site can slap up.

Back
Top Bottom