• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
If anyone's interested, I messaged EK to ask if they had a rough timescale on when to expect a block. This is their response:

As for the Radeon VII, we're still gauging interest and demand for it before we go into it. It's likely we'll have blocks for them, just not a focus at this time.

so if anyone is planning to get one and wants to watercool it, ask them to show your interest. It looks like it might be a while before we get a block so that puts my plans on hold until then.

Soldato
Petrol romance......do you ever look at your posts before clicking post? Let me guess, it was typed on a phone...like every post you've ever made seemingly. :eek:
To be fair i have the same problem when on my phone. Auto Correct and predictive text on my old windows 8 phone was light years ahead of my android one.

Soldato
It's not a new Architecture though. It's just Vega on 7nm and they have had nearly 18 months to optimise that. The 2080 that it's up against is new.
So was the 390/390x (Hawaii same as the 290 series) vs 970/980, and it held-up pretty well against the latter.

I'm not really going to argue about performance side of things as both cards performance are close enough, but considering both cards are similar price, what people would buy at the end of the day is probably down to what they think would suit better for "their" use and expectation. i.e. People that want Gsync, and RT here and now and keep starring at reflections in BFV and the DLSS when it comes they could go for the 2080; people that want to have sync tech (Freesync) for gaming on 4K on large TV, or at 1080p 120Hz with Freesync on large 4K TV that support it and they could go Radeon VII.

But regardless, both the 2080 and Radeon VII pricing is a joke. And yes I do agree that AMD need to get away from the Vega Architecture soon, and do a more efficient GPU on 7nm- the sooner the better. For a 7nm GPU the Radeon VII is just not impression as a gaming card, especially considering the price.

Soldato
Soldato
AMD's Radeon VII could launch with fewer than 5000 stock
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-vii-stock-issues,38442.html

lol

Are they in Australia or Argentina? :D

http://www.redgamingtech.com/amd-vega-based-radeon-vii-for-consumers-and-gamers-exclusive/

There will be apparently 20k units available for launch and an additional 40k units made later on (likely depending on demand, according to the wording used). The performance of the cards will sit between the GTX 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti, and will feature possibly up to 16GB of RAM. Pricing is yet to be determined, but AMD is aiming at no higher than Nvidia’s RTX 2080 (so around 700 – 800 USD).

Soldato
The 390/390x prove my point. There was no benefit to those cards from newer drivers, they were already optimised.

The release driver had pretty decent increases for the 390/390x. The 290x got the increases soon after. AMD probably held it back to make the 390x look better at launch.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Did they? I had a 290 at the time and I can't remember any performance increase after the 390 cards launched.

I am just going off memory from that time. I remember people saying the 390x had a new driver and some improvements which is why it had a decent lead over the 290x. The 290x never got this driver until a month or so later. I don't know how much the driver was giving or if most of the extra performance was due to slightly higher clocks on the core and memory.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics...rformance-Check-Validating-AMD-R9-390-Testing

The link above shows why people were a little dubious at the time.

From that i can see performance was not boosted much and maybe only a few games were. Still it was weird to give Fury X and the 390x a new driver and not the 290x which is essentially a 390x.

Soldato
The performance will be between 1080ti and 2080ti....could they cast their net of speculation a wee bit wider? Talk about hedging your best ffs. And they will feature upto 16 gigs of ram...umm they're already confirmed to be 16 gig cards, what is this "upto" ****?

:D:D :p

Soldato
I am just going off memory from that time. I remember people saying the 390x had a new driver and some improvements which is why it had a decent lead over the 290x. The 290x never got this driver until a month or so later. I don't know how much the driver was giving or if most of the extra performance was due to slightly higher clocks on the core and memory.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics...rformance-Check-Validating-AMD-R9-390-Testing

The link above shows why people were a little dubious at the time.

:D just posted the same link. Nah there was no performance increase. There was improvements in specific games that came out shortly before the 390 cards were released newer ones, but, you get that with anyway with newer games.

Back
Top Bottom