Latest Gillette ad suggests their customers are broken, toxic and need "fixing" through feminism

Permabanned
The message of "Don't be a Jerk" is in itself not the problem. But it's the execution, tone and inappropriateness of it that got everyone railed up.

I just don't understand what there is to be offended by... They're not targeting me specifically because I'm not a womanizer or a bully... Yeah, perhaps they're trying to encourage men generally to speak out against examples of that type of behaviour, which seems more then totally fair to me.

It strikes me as hugely ironic that some in this thread are often seen in others bashing those (often women and millennials) for being offended too easily, or that society is being made far too comfortable for everyone these days, yet are in here whining about a promotional video for a mens shaving product that makes some reasonably valid points (though I'll admit, the direction and tone is way too heavy handed).

Caporegime
(though I'll admit, the direction and tone is way too heavy handed).
So you're agreeing then. What would your opinion be on 'nothing to be offended by' if the subject was nasty little girls and husband-beating women?

What would you like to see in a female version? We live in a patriarchal world, women on the whole don't sexually assault/rape men, men are paid better than women for doing the same jobs, Westminster make up is 68% male to 32% female even though women in the 2006 census were 32m to men 31m.

Some of that is because some women actually...want to stay at home and raise their children? And men 'on the whole' don't do that either :confused:.

Associate
Can't imagine the same advert with husband-beating women being tolerated by anyone, let alone the people criticising the men in this thread.

I must have seen the wrong advert - can you link to the one with the wife-beating man? Or is it possible you are just tilting at windmills?

God, lol, the people getting offended by this need a reality check, the messages the advert conveys seems to be influenced by self-projection. I didn't pick up on any of the things people have been frothing about, if you feel it is an attack on you/men/masculinity, then it just proves the advert's point in a way.

Exactly. If you can't see any positive male role-models in there, you really haven't paid any attention at all.

Caporegime
I must have seen the wrong advert - can you link to the one with the wife-beating man? Or is it possible you are just tilting at windmills?

Exactly. If you can't see any positive male role-models in there, you really haven't paid any attention at all.

Would your attitude be exactly the same if you swapped all the men for women? I hope someone makes that advert. The reaction would be apocalyptic butthurt compared to what we're seeing from the Gillette one :D.

Caporegime
What would you like to see in a female version? We live in a patriarchal world, women on the whole don't sexually assault/rape men, men are paid better than women for doing the same jobs, Westminster make up is 68% male to 32% female even though women in the 2006 census were 32m to men 31m.

We'll you could throw in any number of things that don't apply to the majority of women and then just make the same arguments that have been made in support of this advert.

Maybe some gossiping teenage girls can reduce another teenage girl to tears but someone steps in. Perhaps some woman on a hen do can grab a guy's arse/sexually harass some young guy and is corrected by a female friend. Perhaps a young girl can start a fight with a young boy at a BBQ and the boy is in trouble, "don't hit girls". Perhaps a woman deciding she can't be bothered dropping the kids off at their Dad's/her ex-husband, but threatens that he'll never see them again if he complains...

Soldato
So you're agreeing then. What would your opinion be on 'nothing to be offended by' if the subject was nasty little girls and husband-beating women?

Some of that is because some women actually...want to stay at home and raise their children? And men 'on the whole' don't do that either :confused:.

I find nothing offensive in that video because it isn't aimed at me. Boys are just as nasty as girls but girls tend to do it psychologically and boys physically. As for husband-beating wives, what is the percentage of domestic abuse, worem on men compared to men on women? Domestic abuse is a only a small percentage of the abuse/assault that happens, though all abuse/assault is wrong!
Those women that don't want to stay at home still don't earn the same as men doing the same jobs. As for the bit I highlighted, my choice of word was wrong. I should have said women don't sexually assault men, men do sexually assault women, sadly it has/is far more prevalent than some might care to admit. I'm 48, I've had 2 girlfriends that were raped and 5 of my female friends were sexually assaulted and that is just the ones that have told me about it. I don't know of a single male friend that was sexually assaulted by a woman.

Soldato

Men ‘on the whole’ dont sexually assault/rape women either.

Permabanned

Not at all, I'm just saying that subtlety would perhaps be more artistically agreeable, in whatever medium it might be utilised in.

As to your second point, I don't even know how to answer that. Not everything has to be as black and white as 'offensive' or 'appropriate'... It would depend entirely on the cultural standing of women in general at the time. This video is more prevalent because we're at a tipping point in society where men aren't the only power players anymore, not too mention all the stuff that's come out over the last few years about how men can be seen to abuse that power for sexual gain.

If 'mankind', 'mensaid' or 'refuge' etc. came forward with a campaign video, I would absolutely back that to the hilt. But if it where as you originally suggested? I don't know... ask me when it happens. Shades of grey. All is contextual.

Caporegime

Men on the whole don't sexually assault women.

It is illegal for men and women to be paid differently for doing the same jobs.

If there are more women then why aren't they voting in female mps? Perhaps it's because they're voting for the most suitable person regardless of their gender?

Soldato
Men on the whole don't sexually assault women.

It is illegal for men and women to be paid differently for doing the same jobs.

If there are more women then why aren't they voting in female mps? Perhaps it's because they're voting for the most suitable person regardless of their gender?

MODS! MODS! Someone’s using common sense in GD!

Soldato
Most of us don't have the luxury of our votes mattering for **** (safe seats etc). And most of us aren't part of the selection process for candidates. There could be 90% women in the population and it wouldn't matter if the people selecting cadidates are mostly male or biased towards men.

Soldato
I'm amazed at the number of people who still watch adverts. Outside of film trailers I cannot actually recall when I last did, including the one being discussed in this thread.

Caporegime
Most of us don't have the luxury of our votes mattering for **** (safe seats etc). And most of us aren't part of the selection process for candidates. There could be 90% women in the population and it wouldn't matter if the people selecting cadidates are mostly male or biased towards men.

Then do some research to prove your assertions. To me we have a free and open democratic process thst mostly elects morons regardless. Safe seats are only safe because people vote for the same person/party. Those people are made up of men and women.
Worth pointing out that just under 50% of my candidates last time around were female. One of whom I voted for. Not because she was a woman but because I liked her policies.
Probably the same way the bloke who won it won. Because people liked his policies not his penis.

Back
Top Bottom