RAM issues?

Associate
Not sure where to put this, in this section or in Memory section but since it's related to overclocking (on memory side), I'll go ahead and put this here.

As of few months ago, my RAM no longer can run at 3000MHz or higher. (I tried with 2 different set of RAM, TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000Mhz and TeamGroup 8GB 3200MHz, when set to RAM's max speed, system either fails to boot, it power cycles, I get a kernel panic or system completely freezes if I'm logged in, as long as I run it at 2933 MHz (or lower), it's fine.

But for months before it happened, it was running at their max speed, had no issues, what changed? Haven't touched anything in BIOS, it's like it just suddenly happened and since then it's been like that.

CPU's always been OC'd to 3.8 GHz (Ryzen 5 1600), but even at stock with RAM at 3000/3200 MHz, it still freezes.

Soldato
I ran 2400MHz rated DDR3 at 2400MHz for two years no problem on my Intel Haswell system. After two years, started getting BSODs. Took me a while (two weeks) to think of also removing the overclock on the RAM as I'd already done with the CPU, and that sorted it out. Then I was able to push it from 1600 to 2133MHz and it's been fine since. Was told it's likely to be weak IMC on the CPU. It was able to handle fast-er memory, but only for a time.

Soldato
Not sure where to put this, in this section or in Memory section but since it's related to overclocking (on memory side), I'll go ahead and put this here.

As of few months ago, my RAM no longer can run at 3000MHz or higher. (I tried with 2 different set of RAM, TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000Mhz and TeamGroup 8GB 3200MHz, when set to RAM's max speed, system either fails to boot, it power cycles, I get a kernel panic or system completely freezes if I'm logged in, as long as I run it at 2933 MHz (or lower), it's fine.

But for months before it happened, it was running at their max speed, had no issues, what changed? Haven't touched anything in BIOS, it's like it just suddenly happened and since then it's been like that.

CPU's always been OC'd to 3.8 GHz (Ryzen 5 1600), but even at stock with RAM at 3000/3200 MHz, it still freezes.

If it freezes at stock then that suggests it is hynix and not Samsung bdie based ram. Hynix based ram on ryzen typically runs at below its rated speed, i used to have 3200c16 corsair lpx ram (2 x 8gb) and its max stable speed was 2933. The newest bios updates can sometimes improve things. With 2 x 8gb of my current ram it was stable at 3333c14 and 3466c15.

Associate
OP
Yeah, but as I mentioned, they ran at their rated speed for months without a single issue and then suddenly they no longer can do that, regardless of what RAM (G.skill 2x8GB 3000MHz or 2x4GB TeamGroup 3200Mhz, tested with either) I use, which suggests the issue is probably with the CPU or motherboard or something else.

Associate
Yeah, but as I mentioned, they ran at their rated speed for months without a single issue and then suddenly they no longer can do that, regardless of what RAM (G.skill 2x8GB 3000MHz or 2x4GB TeamGroup 3200Mhz, tested with either) I use, which suggests the issue is probably with the CPU or motherboard or something else.

Just because you ran it at +3,000Mhz for months, doesn't mean it was stable (did you run some Memory Stability tests before settling for that frequency?).

When you set your TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000Mhz and TeamGroup 8GB 3200MHz to their 'stock' frequencies, did you leave the Timing on Auto or did you input the correct timings for that RAM, at that frequency?

Have you tried it with a small voltage bump just above what they were rated at?(if 1.2v, try 1.22-1.25) or (if 1.25v, try 1.25-1.3v).

I have a similar specc'd system, and if I run Ryzn 1600 @4Ghz alone, it's fine.
If I OC my RAM to 2933Mhz (from stock 2400Mhz), it's also fine.
But if I try both together without tweaking a few more settings (LLC + voltage bump).

What motherboard are you running?

Danny75 is right about the IMC, but DarkHorizon472 is spot on about the Hynix VS Samsung B-die RAM types..

Associate
OP
I did memory tests at 3000/3200 MHz for either set of RAM, no issues, for months I did various things, gaming, mining, rendering, etc, PC's been on pretty much 24/7.

8GB @ 3200 MHz for couple of months, then I needed more RAM, so I upgraded to TridentZ 16GB @ 3000 MHz, ran fine for another couple of months, doing same things I mentioned, then system started freezing when I do anything CPU demanding, so I dropped it down to default/2133 MHz, which was stable for a bit, then upped it to 2933 MHz to gain a bit more performance, still stable and left it at that ever since, but that's after I swapped back to 8GB RAM because RGB lights on 16GB RAM was annoying me, no way to control them on Linux or in BIOS/UEFI, I've only ran Linux (Xubuntu 16.04 then 18.04, to be specific) exclusively on this system.

Everything's on auto, except for CPU, which is set to 3.8 GHz @ 1.325v (3.8 GHz seems to be the ceiling for my CPU, anything higher and it won't boot, no matter what voltage I give it, but that's not the issue here, unless it's somehow related and I'm missing something, just curious, what settings are you using for 4 GHz?).

Motherboard is ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac, haven't done any BIOS update, it's running at whatever it came with, but it's one of the versions without support for Ryzen 2xxx series.

Associate
I did memory tests at 3000/3200 MHz for either set of RAM, no issues, for months I did various things, gaming, mining, rendering, etc, PC's been on pretty much 24/7.

8GB @ 3200 MHz for couple of months, then I needed more RAM, so I upgraded to TridentZ 16GB @ 3000 MHz, ran fine for another couple of months, doing same things I mentioned, then system started freezing when I do anything CPU demanding, so I dropped it down to default/2133 MHz, which was stable for a bit, then upped it to 2933 MHz to gain a bit more performance, still stable and left it at that ever since, but that's after I swapped back to 8GB RAM because RGB lights on 16GB RAM was annoying me, no way to control them on Linux or in BIOS/UEFI, I've only ran Linux (Xubuntu 16.04 then 18.04, to be specific) exclusively on this system.

If I was in your shoes, the first thing I would do would be to completely forget the fact that it did work at some point and tackle the issue as if this was a brand new system, going through all options 1-by-1 with a clean-slate.

I don't know much about running Linux (always wanted to try, though..) but I did a quick google search last night, for your board, and I found a forum post talking about a specific option you have to enable on that board's BIOS, to allow for higher RAM Frequencies (+3000Mhz)...thing is, I can't remember what it was called :/ sorry.

The fact it did work for months and then stopped, does seem strange but I recommend starting from scratch and going through every single setting to ensure nothing got reset, that could be stopping you from using stock RAM speeds.

Just to cover all bases, what about your PSU? Is it a quality one? If not, have you made sure you haven't lost a significant amount of voltage on the 3.3v 5v and 12v rails? (are they reading 3.28v, 4.8v and 11.7v respetively {or any lower than that?}), obviously there will come a limit when you won't be booting at all (or get serious instability issues) if it was lower than what I quoted above, but it's worth checking that variable in the equation, just to be sure nothing out of the ordinary isn't skewing your attemps to set 3000-3200Mhz RAM Frequencies.

Also, what I am most curious about is: what would happend if you tried increasing the voltage on your RAM to improve stability?

Good RAM sticks will run at a rated 1.2-1.25v (check your RAM specs to be sure), but for DDR4 in general, I understand that it can run up to 1.4-1.45v and you don't realliy want to go above that (not like DDR3 which could run up to 1.5-1.65v (I definitely wouldn't take it above 1.4v myself).

So, if you're trying to run 3200Mhz at 1.2v, maybe increasing the RAM voltage to 1.25 or 1.3v may help in stability, perhaps.

Also, I know that for Ryzen, increasing the VCCIO voltage can help with RAM stability (be careful with this one, though, and raise this very-very slowly IF you have the option to do so...normally it starts at 0.9v and you don't really want to go about 1.2v max).

[So, my RAM is 2400Mhz CL16, 1.2v // and I am running it at 2933Mhz CL18, 1.35v and VCCIO at 1.1-1.125v]

Everything's on auto, except for CPU, which is set to 3.8 GHz @ 1.325v (3.8 GHz seems to be the ceiling for my CPU, anything higher and it won't boot, no matter what voltage I give it, but that's not the issue here, unless it's somehow related and I'm missing something, just curious, what settings are you using for 4 GHz?).

Interesting because I can hit 4Ghz with 1.32v, but I have disable certain power options (the auto-turbo one, disabled the Global C-state), and I have LLC on High.

If you do have the option for controlling LLC on that board, by all means, post what you got, see if we can't tweak it further.
Ryzen can take safe voltages up to 1.4v but I avoid going over 1.38 to be safe (I am on the stock cooler for that CPU, so for stress tests at 1.32v/1.33v I am hitting 75-76C max, and gaming is under 60C.
I also have a case with 6 Fans for maximum, and optimal, air-flow.

Here is one of my UserBenchmark scores: https://userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13559136

Motherboard is ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac, haven't done any BIOS update, it's running at whatever it came with, but it's one of the versions without support for Ryzen 2xxx series.

With regards to your board, if someone can correct/educate me on this... I thought it strange that it doesn't support Ryzen 2xxx series...oh well.

Back to the issue at hand: Definitely try to see if a small bump in RAM voltage (+0.05v) and a tiny bump in VCCIO voltage (but not going above 1.1-1.15v total VCCIO), may help with stability.
The other option would be to try to loosen the timings the bit, from their stock timings, but if you're not used to this, I wouldn't recommend it without a thourough reading session of what the timings actually mean..so you get an idea of how to set them.

Hope this helps.

Associate
OP
Hmm, I'll get around to resetting everything and redoing all OC settings.

My PSU is Corsair SF450 gold, neither CPU or GPU consumes a lot of power, GPU is left at stock, no OC at all and my SSD is a m.2 form factor that's slotted in under the motherboard.

My motherboard does support Ryzen 2xxx series but I'm running a BIOS version that doesn't have the support for them and I haven't updated yet.

Also, that thing you mentioned that allows RAM to run at higher freq, you mean XMP? It's what I'm using to run at higher speeds.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, I'll get around to resetting everything and redoing all OC settings.

My PSU is Corsair SF450 gold, neither CPU or GPU consumes a lot of power, GPU is left at stock, no OC at all and my SSD is a m.2 form factor that's slotted in under the motherboard.

My motherboard does support Ryzen 2xxx series but I'm running a BIOS version that doesn't have the support for them and I haven't updated yet.

Also, that thing you mentioned that allows RAM to run at higher freq, you mean XMP? It's what I'm using to run at higher speeds.

It was something to enable, before being able to select an XMP Profile.
You know, XMP Profiles are simply recorded settings the RAM Supplier tested and put on there...sometimes setting the XMP Profile manually (and then just changing 1 or 2 small settings) can really help.

But if you're happy with 3.8Ghz and 2933mhz OCs..then mught as well stay satisfied.

Funny though, when I read (450w PSU) I did immediately think k
(maybe too low), if it works then it's all good, I've just been taught differently when it comes to PSUs I guesss (the PSU rule I live by is: calculate total estimated consumption in Watts, then select a PSU that is 120-140% higher watts than the total power consumption...that way the PSU is never running above 50-80%...80% bein where you start to lose on efficiency and PSU working harder in general). But yoursnis a good PSU..So it's all good. ;)

See whether or not you have VCCIO/SOC Voltage control..it might help.

Otherwise any other questions, feel free to ask.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I was thinking about just leaving them at 3.8 GHz / 2933 Mhz, it works and I'm happy with how it performs, 2933 MHz isn't far from 3000/3200 MHz anyway.

I'll do a reset and check everything if it no longer can do 2933 MHz stable.

Associate
Yeah, I was thinking about just leaving them at 3.8 GHz / 2933 Mhz, it works and I'm happy with how it performs, 2933 MHz isn't far from 3000/3200 MHz anyway.

I'll do a reset and check everything if it no longer can do 2933 MHz stable.

Hey..if you're happy, then you're happy. :D

Best of luck with any future attemps.

Back
Top Bottom