Customer loyalty, does it matter.....

Associate
Not sure if this is the place to post this, or if I should even be posting this at all, but I need to blow off steam somewhere.

I don't intend to advertise or make known another company or even mention them, as frankly I won't be going back to them so here goes, please bare with me on this.

So I am in the process of trying to build another pc, I need it to do a bit of everything, I am doing it for the kids as I believe they need a hobby that could teach them something, I have an autistic 8 year old son, and a 9 year old son, who loves gaming and both say they want to become youtubers, crazy idea I know, both great young lads.

My problem is as a lot of people we are on a tight budget, lost my job yada yada, so I look around for the best deals, with what I have.

So I am sure all you have heard of this other company, this being the closest computer outlet to me, here is what happened, nothing major but it annoyed me, so I go on Ebay searching for possibly a second hand GPU and any other things I could save money on, and they have listed used parts, as many others do, so I message them on ebay and ask about a GTX 1080ti they had that was used.

The price he had was more than last years brand new, so I offered £500 which is more than reasonable I thought, and a lot of money to pay for a "GPU SO IT SEEMS" anyway he came back with a price of £680. :eek:

So I thought it makes no sense to buy a used card for so much money, especially when for a few hundred more I should be future proofed for years. Anyway so I said or messaged that I have been a customer going to them for many years, I have spent a lot over the years on PC parts with them, you would think that if you always go and buy from that company then you should be given a discount for the loyalty of being a returning customer over the years, and I made this point to the them via ebay, and all they came back with is that unfortunately there is a shortage for GPUs at the minute or some utter nonsense, and that they make very little profit on them, yeah right, like you are not part of a super rich company that has the shop floor worth as much as a Saudi oil prince.

Anyway I am here due to using OC a few times and not being disappointed, although is it just me having hardly any money left, the reason I feel hard done by? maybe or maybe not, or should big computer companies, who will always be in business due to the evolving computer world, give customers discounts if they spend big amounts at a time on building computers?

Sorry for the rant guys, just my ten pence.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wont mention companies.

Proceeds to mention direct competitor to Overclockers.

I also lost interest after that, I feel like you're explaining how to build a watch when all you needed to do was tell us the time.

Edit: fine. I read it. I understand your predicament and it does suck but at the end of the day they're a business, not a charity. Asking for a small discount might return a result but asking for that kind of discount is pushing it.

Associate
Agreed with above, you shouldnt mention the company name, especially as a direct competitor.

You would hope that companies would reward loyalty, but unfortunately this is not normally the case (Apart from the wonderful Overclockers who give their forum members free postage ;) )

If i were on a tight budget and had lost my job, i would not be looking at a 1080ti !

Soldato
When it comes to other companies like Energy suppliers or Insurance companies, then no loyalty is actually a detriment to you as they will try and auto-roll your policy over to a much higher premium year on year, whilst offering preferential deals to new customers.

Soldato
Money tight but looking at spending £500 on GPU alone? doesn't compute.

Was thinking that. 1080ti for a kids to play at making youtube videos?

Some professionals originally didn't have this sort of set up!

Anyway, whoever is running the **** ebay page for **** isn't someone you can haggle down £180 on an item just because you asked. They are a massive retailer and despite using ebay as a platform, have their own set prices. I'd like to see OP waltz into Tesco, demand the manager and try to talk them into giving you over a quarter off the price because Easter is round the corner and lamb normally goes to half price. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Customer loyalty, does it matter.....
No. Welcome to our capitalist reality where money is the bottom line on pretty much everything.

On a nicer note; put yourself in the guys shoes. He's just a cog in the machine - what exactly is he going to be able to do? Go to his boss and say "Oh there's this really nice chap, he says he shops with us all the time. Can we knock off £200 for him because he asked?" Um, no. I'm all for bartering in the right time and place, but don't expect loyalty to come into it.

Associate
OP
I know what it looks like, sorry about that I won't be using them again out of principle that is just my choice, id rather pay more than use them again, however I saved up for over 2 years knowing I would have to upgrade eventually, I worked hours until recently, I also received some money from family towards it over xmas, the kids put there xmas money in, so a small budget, and yes mentioning them is something I did not think I should do, I am not very good at explaining things, I am also autistic and suffer dyslexic, although in favour of OC, OC are much better and have a better customer service, if it was a 2080ti I would understand, but a used card that they might not sell due to the price, or that they fixed is ridiculous. I remember a time when you used to get free OS with builds, now you can't get a free toffee half the time. Yes companies need to make money, but is it nescessary when you can retire for ten life times over? and dont need any more money? it is what it is, the next question, has OC got any used parts that would be reasonable? it is going to take me a long time at this rate to build this new PC.

Again sorry if this offends, I dont think there is anything wrong in me trying to get soemthing for my family.

Soldato
Why would they offer a discount on an item that someone will purchase for full price next week more than likely?

Small, brick and mortar stores where you can build a relationship with people and the business almost depends on repeat business and customer loyalty are much more likely to offer discounts based on this, but big corporate? No chance, they have no shortage of customers so don't care about you.

Caporegime
I know what it looks like, sorry about that I won't be using them again out of principle that is just my choice, id rather pay more than use them again, however I saved up for over 2 years knowing I would have to upgrade eventually, I worked hours until recently, I also received some money from family towards it over xmas, the kids put there xmas money in, so a small budget, and yes mentioning them is something I did not think I should do, I am not very good at explaining things, I am also autistic and suffer dyslexic, although in favour of OC, OC are much better and have a better customer service, if it was a 2080ti I would understand, but a used card that they might not sell due to the price, or that they fixed is ridiculous. I remember a time when you used to get free OS with builds, now you can't get a free toffee half the time. Yes companies need to make money, but is it nescessary when you can retire for ten life times over? and dont need any more money? it is what it is, the next question, has OC got any used parts that would be reasonable? it is going to take me a long time at this rate to build this new PC.

Again sorry if this offends, I dont think there is anything wrong in me trying to get soemthing for my family.

I don't think anyone is offended, and fair play for you wanting to do something nice, I just get the impression your priorities are a bit skewed, and your expectations are unrealistic. Loyalty is a bonus, not a given. You can dislike this practice all you want but the fella who did his job by saying no also has mouths to feed and could be on another forum elsewhere asking exactky the same question as you.

Associate
OP
Was thinking that. 1080ti for a kids to play at making youtube videos?

Some professionals originally didn't have this sort of set up!

Anyway, whoever is running the **** ebay page for **** isn't someone you can haggle down £180 on an item just because you asked. They are a massive retailer and despite using ebay as a platform, have their own set prices. I'd like to see OP waltz into Tesco, demand the manager and try to talk them into giving you over a quarter off the price because Easter is round the corner and lamb normally goes to half price. :p
I am not sure what GPU I would need as I am a total noob when it comes to computers, the only thing I learned was how to put one together by being shown, and loading an OS, but I know that I would want something that would be good for years to come. Any recommendations welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soldato
building machines for your kids you say?

budget builds ftw especially at that age been there done that.
i've done numerous builds over the years from a few hundred pounds. check my build threads in the projects section project hardon which is on my desk atm for a refresh ad mk42 spring to mind as more budget focused builds.

and yes there is loyalty members that have been here a while get free postage and haribo as well as access to the members market where you can get some serious bargains off trusted members, that and the 10/10 section 10k posts and 10 years membership, where you can get some serious offers

Soldato

OcUK only do B Grade products not second hand.

If it's going to take you a long time to build a PC with a 1080ti you're never going to build a PC as by the time you've saved up for it it'll be so out of date. Pick a budget you can afford to spend and buy the best possible machine for that right now. You don't need a 1080ti unless you're planning on gaming at 1440p/4k with high refresh rates and running everything on ultra.

£500 would get an excellent gaming PC which can run "most" games on medium settings at 1080p.

Soldato
I am not sure what GPU I would need as I am a total noob when it comes to computers, the only thing I learned was how to put one together by being shown, and loading an OS, but I know that I would want something that would be good for years to come. Any recommendations welcome.

put a thread up in the new builds section with a budget in mind, some people in there are fantastic at eeking out vfm

Soldato
building machines for your kids you say?

budget builds ftw especially at that age been there done that.
i've done numerous builds over the years from a few hundred pounds. check my build threads in the projects section project hardon which is on my desk atm for a refresh ad mk42 spring to mind as more budget focused builds.

and yes there is loyalty members that have been here a while get free postage and haribo as well as access to the members market where you can get some serious bargains off trusted members, that and the 10/10 section 10k posts and 10 years membership, where you can get some serious offers

Then you've got the 20/20 pr0n forum to aim for after that :p

Man of Honour
You can buy the card on eBay for a lot cheaper, also on eBay if they were open to offers it would say 'Make an Offer' on their listing. I don't see a problem with this at all. It's quite expensive so just move on to some other supplier.

Associate
OP
I don't think anyone is offended, and fair play for you wanting to do something nice, I just get the impression your priorities are a bit skewed, and your expectations are unrealistic. Loyalty is a bonus, not a given. You can dislike this practice all you want but the fella who did his job by saying no also has mouths to feed and could be on another forum elsewhere asking exactky the same question as you.
I see that, and that is why I thought I would see what replies I get on an unbiased forum, as seen from the replies already, people are just saying what they see and now I am understanding a little further, it is not a big deal, I just have to stay patient as I am sure something will work out for the best.

Associate
OP
You can buy the card on eBay for a lot cheaper, also on eBay if they were open to offers it would say 'Make an Offer' on their listing. I don't see a problem with this at all. It's quite expensive so just move on to some other supplier.
That is why I am now here, my last resort is to save the extra and buy the 2080ti, this should be good for quiet some time, and I will be buying it from OC when that time comes, as they are cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom