• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti owners: what's in your basket?

Soldato
I'm still running (quite happily, I should add) my venerable 980ti, and even at 1440p it's doing just fine... But. I have the itch.

Nothing looks quite right for scratching it right now though, so I'm wondering what other people in the same boat are thinking. Are you eying up 2nd hand 1080tis, looking with jealous eyes at the 2060 info coming out, or are you considering the r7 card? Or are you sitting on your hands like me?

Soldato
If they are coming out in a month (as I've been told on here) then I'd wait for Radeon 7 to see if it has any effect on prices.

Which it probably wont as initial indication is they are priced high.

Soldato
I'm still running (quite happily, I should add) my venerable 980ti, and even at 1440p it's doing just fine... But. I have the itch.

Nothing looks quite right for scratching it right now though, so I'm wondering what other people in the same boat are thinking. Are you eying up 2nd hand 1080tis, looking with jealous eyes at the 2060 info coming out, or are you considering the r7 card? Or are you sitting on your hands like me?
Kinda in the same boat but nothing in the price/performance bracket really worth upgrading too.

Soldato

Tbh I feel the same way as you, but I game at 4K and with a worse card (RX 480). Eyeing the Ra7 atm but it's hard to say. It's just that the jumps aren't that meaningful between the cards at also the visual jumps to make it worth it. So in games that I want visuals, I need at least a 2080 to up things considerably past 4K 30 High/V High (e.g. 140% scaling). In games I want more frames I can just drop to 1080p 120hz and run it without issues. Mind you I mostly play SP games, and the MP ones are easy enough to run already at either 4K 60 or 1080p 120 (DotA 2, PoE etc). That's a problem too, running out of new games that I want to play which also need more power. Hence still with the 480.

Problem with 2080 is that it's at a higher price than I'd like AND has too little vram, so meh. 2080ti even dumber than that. Eyes on Ra7 for now, if oc & cooler performance checks out then I'll make the jump.

Soldato
OP
None! I'm just looking at everything and thinking "what's my next move?". I just don't see the bang for buck anywhere though. It seems like everything that would provide a good improvement is £700+. Which is an absurd amount to pay to play games.

Soldato
None! I'm just looking at everything and thinking "what's my next move?". I just don't see the bang for buck anywhere though. It seems like everything that would provide a good improvement is £700+. Which is an absurd amount to pay to play games.
Realistically speaking, if you can find a 1080ti for blow £500 that would be the only sensible option you could consider; everything else are overpriced.

Best to brave-on with that 980ti and hold-out for the true next gen with 7nm, rather than the rushed cash-grab the 20 series are. Clear some backlog of older games you own that you never got round to play while you wait :p

Associate
Same as you and sitting on my hands, just not convinced that any of the 20XX cards offer any value for money.
I'm on a gsync screen so think I'll either try and pick up 2nd hand 1080Ti off MM when I get my 1000 posts or just wait out this generation entirely.

Associate
Same, except sat on a 1070ti instead. Nothing really makes sense if you step back and look at the situation properly.

Even more so these days where the power hungry pc game changing exclusive has disappeared.

Soldato
980 Ti to 1080 wasn't enough of a jump for me to switch so 1080 Ti was the logical choice though my 980 Ti is still running all my sim games perfectly fine in a 2nd PC.

So 1080 Ti level of performance without the RTX tax so as above maybe wait and see what's just round the corner or a decent 2nd hand 1080 Ti for now.

Soldato
OP
Here's the other consideration: GPUs aren't going to get cheaper. So maybe we'll see 7nm pump out a real monster GPU (maybe), but even so it'll cost a bomb. I think realistically we 980ti owners are looking at 2nd hand unless we want to spend over £700. Failing that, I imagine I'll have to wait until a cheaper mid range card offers a good enough performance jump at a palatable price.

Associate
I've been running 2x 980ti in SLI for the last few years, but I've recently had issues with my PSU so had to drop back to using a single card whilst it goes through an RMA. My plan was always to try and replace them in the future with a single, better card. A single card still performs well and it's nice to play without all the issues that SLI brings, I do have the itch at the moment though as SLI is just a waste for a lot of titles these days.

I'd love to go to a single 2080ti, but every time I start comparing prices I convince myself not take the plunge, they're just too much at the moment. I looked at my old order for the 980tis back a few years ago and I paid the same amount for both of them as you would have to pay for a 2080ti today. It's mental how much the prices have increased.

A second hand 1080ti is also tempting, but I'm not sure I want to go down that route at the moment. I'll probably stick it out a while longer and see what happens.

Soldato
OP
I've been running 2x 980ti in SLI for the last few years, but I've recently had issues with my PSU so had to drop back to using a single card whilst it goes through an RMA. My plan was always to try and replace them in the future with a single, better card. A single card still performs well and it's nice to play without all the issues that SLI brings, I do have the itch at the moment though as SLI is just a waste for a lot of titles these days.

I'd love to go to a single 2080ti, but every time I start comparing prices I convince myself not take the plunge, they're just too much at the moment. I looked at my old order for the 980tis back a few years ago and I paid the same amount for both of them as you would have to pay for a 2080ti today. It's mental how much the prices have increased.

A second hand 1080ti is also tempting, but I'm not sure I want to go down that route at the moment. I'll probably stick it out a while longer and see what happens.
Yeah the ridiculous 2xxx pricing has kept the 1080ti from depreciating, so even 2nd hand they cost as much as I paid for my 980ti new.

Caporegime
Like you, I'm quite satisfied with the performance I get from my current card so my next move will be a new motherboard/CPU/ram, etc. I may also switch to a FreeSync/G-Sync compatible monitor in due course so I have the best of both worlds.

Associate
Same situation myself - I have an MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB. It boosts consistantly to 1420mhz on it's own, giving a bit extra performance.

Almost went for a 1080ti when they were on sale, but missed out. Don't intend to go for current top tier cards given the prices.

Been using my rift a lot, which the card is just about coping with.

Extra performance would be nice, but unless anything happens to the card I'm likely to use it until I do a full system replacement.

Associate
Apologies for the slightly off topic post, I currently have a MSI 980ti and a old 1080p 60Hz monitor, would my best upgrade path be to keep the GPU and get a 1440p 144Hz monitor? Can I use a G-sync compatible monitor with a 980ti?

Caporegime
would my best upgrade path be to keep the GPU and get a 1440p 144Hz monitor? Can I use a G-sync compatible monitor with a 980ti?

I did the same a few years ago and have no regrets. And yes, you can use G-Sync with a 980Ti. What's the rest of your system like?

Back
Top Bottom