eBay question (no I haven't been scammed... Yet!)

Soldato
PayPal would pay it in that instance I believe.

Don’t be so sure, this is a risky transaction. What happens if he says the wheels are damaged and wants to send them back? I think PayPal returns only cover you up to a certain amount, not the full £66 will cost you.

Based on the message he sent you and your posting history on these forums, my gut feeling suggests this isn’t a good deal. Can you not sell them locally for £50 less and not have the hassle of having to send them? Don’t forget you will pay eBay fees (likely to be £1 if you used to offer at the weekend otherwise £50) plus PayPal fees (about £18). Is it worth the hassle?

Caporegime
Only way I can see a scam is he has a set. Of damaged/buckled ones and would send you his back.
If he claimed damage it would be your word against his unless pics are proof

Caporegime
OP
I've not had any offers elsewhere. Only on eBay. And only from people in Ireland. :p

And they were inserted on Sunday the 6th of Jan.

PayPal took £18, eBay should take £1, delivery is £66, leaves me with £416. I wanted £400.

Soldato
This could be a hacked account.

Just recently I got an email from eBay out of the blue saying "Congrats on selling your item!" Opened it, and i'd sold a Furby for £8 :p Was also another 3 auctions for the same item in my account.

So having known I do not own any furbys (Furbies? Furbi?), I got in touch with eBay and within 30 minutes they'd confirmed my account had been compromised, any trace of the auction deleted from my account and the buyer refunded with no cost to me.

Reset EVERY password and set up two step authentication on everything that offered it and no issues yet!

OR

This could be genuine, but personally I wouldn't take the offer and would wait it out tbh. Not worth the risk as I can't afford to flush £500 down the toilet.

Soldato
PayPal would pay it in that instance I believe.

Not true, if the buyer opens a dispute and says that you sent him a load of house bricks and is clever enough to take pictures his own pictures, i'd bet PayPal side with him. PayPal are known for siding with the buyer more often than siding with the seller.

And even if the money clears into your bank account PayPal can still claim the money back from you. Even if you unlink all your bank accounts and delete your account, you'll still owe PayPal the money and they'll take steps to get it.

Caporegime
OP
My account definitely isn't a hacked account ;)

And if his is, why would someone hack an account with 2 feedback? You make no sense man. :p

I'll send it all insured etc and will take pictures of them packed up and labelled.

Can't see they siding with someone with 2 feedback over someone with 200+, when there are messages between us where I raise this concern, and I have pictures of the items packed up, and tracking etc.

Soldato
My account definitely isn't a hacked account ;)

And if his is, why would someone hack an account with 2 feedback? You make no sense man. :p

I'll send it all insured etc and will take pictures of them packed up and labelled.

Can't see they siding with someone with 2 feedback over someone with 200+, when there are messages between us where I raise this concern, and I have pictures of the items packed up, and tracking etc.

Glad you’re confident, will probably be fine but personally I’d never post anything of value after selling on eBay.

Man of Honour
"Yes I’m new to eBay, but I am genuine I can pay now though eBay, if you want me to do anything else please let me know?. I would like too be able do this deal. Thanks Sinclair"

Does that really sound like someone new to eBay ?

Cut and paste english phrases tacked together.

' I would like to be able to do this deal ' Really?

Kiss good bye to your money

Soldato
You asked for advice.

Then proceeded to ignore it all and say it'll be fine.

Why did you bother asking?

I hope it works out for you, but next time don't bother to post a thread about it if you're not going to take any notice of those who have taken the time to respond to your call for help.

Caporegime
You asked for advice.

Then proceeded to ignore it all and say it'll be fine.

Why did you bother asking?

I hope it works out for you, but next time don't bother to post a thread about it if you're not going to take any notice of those who have taken the time to respond to your call for help.

Acme 101

When he posts a thread he's never looking for advice. The decision has already been made, he wants people to tell him it's gonna be ok.

Soldato
Does that really sound like someone new to eBay ?

Cut and paste english phrases tacked together.

' I would like to be able to do this deal ' Really?

Kiss good bye to your money

So he offered you the full amount, no haggling and a guy named Sinclair writes in dodgy, broken English? Yeah, sounds legit.

@Acme, if you aren't writing this as a wind up, personally i would not be proceeding with this transaction. You can have all the proof in the world, but i have seen it many times where the buyer has claimed a hacked account and you are left to refund AND you have lost your item.

Proceed with caution.

Caporegime
OP
Tbh none of the advice has been backed up with any evidence, even anecdotal. Just people saying "it's ebay its obviously a scam" which isn't helpful.

I asked if there is any way I can actually lose money with these precautions, not what the liklihood is that it is a scam.

And the responses to my actual question have been inconclusive, with both sides having no evidence to back up their thoughts, not even anecdotal.

I can't see someone hacking an account with 2 feedback either. Not exactly a good target.

Acme 101

When he posts a thread he's never looking for advice. The decision has already been made, he wants people to tell him it's gonna be ok.

Its true, I have a problem. The problem is that I'm always right. :(

(Kidding)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have plenty of evidence of what your selling, how its packaged, sent and by the right methods with appropriate insurance, then the chances of losing out are minimal

Back
Top Bottom