Replacement for akg k92.

Soldato
My k92 are getting a bit iffy. Right speaker keeps going out, had them open, all connections seem fine, so I guess it's the speaker, so need a replacement. No idea what to replace with though.

Usage is mostly games and some youtube. I want closed back (noisy enviroment), over the ear, rather than sitting on it and that's about it. Never used outside, so bulk doesn't really matter. Have a modmic, so not looking for a headset.

I use onboard sound. Budget £60ish, but can probably stretch to £100 if it's really worth it. Thanks.

Soldato
Might be failing cable.
Though it would be often easy to notice how moving cable around stops sounds/brings it back.
Voice coil wiring has lot let chances for intermittent problem.

80 ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 would be available for ~100.
(250 ohm one has coiled cable instead of straight)

It has notably flatter frequency response for better upper mids/lower treble. (those are important for details in gaming)
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80.php
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/akg-k92.php

Soldato
OP
Between making last post and this, right speaker has gone completly dead :(. I checked all the connections again with a meter and continuity between the tip of the cable and the speaker connection is fine. Even tried moving it all around and giving the cables a tug, still fine continuity wise. Tried it plugged in with audio playing as well, and no matter what I move, no sound from right. Not sure what else it can be when everything seems to be connected ok :(. Using my spare headphones at the moment, so no rush, can take another look later, but not sure what else it could be. It wasn't really a thing over time either, was fine until yesterday where it started to intermittently not work and now it's completely dead on that side.

Will take a look at the 770s. Seem to get overall good reviews, comfy (important for long gaming sessions) and the bar across the center will be perfect for the modmic to stick to.

Thanks.

Soldato
If you have left side "cup" open for measuring cable, you can measure it easily if there's something open circuit for right driver.
Though there's also some wires from ends of head band's wires to actual driver in right side cup which could be the cause.
Fast complete failure is what should happen in case of break down in "internal wiring".

Again cable would most likely keep working intermittently for weeks.
Had myself skinny cable wearing down twice in Sennheiser HD590. (my first full size headphone)

Soldato
Creative Aurvana Live are a good shout for about £55, if less is preferable.

They have gone up a bit though, so not quite the fantastic £40 bargain that they were; but are still one of the best choices for a closed lower budget headphone.

DT770's are worth the extra though. They have larger cups than the CAL's and are likely better built. CAL's are mainly if not all plastic; Beyerdynamic headphones are known for being pretty tough. Velour pads too compared to pleather on the CAL's. Beyerdynamic headphones are also known for having each part being replaceable, so easier to replace something if need be.

Soldato
OP
If you have left side "cup" open for measuring cable, you can measure it easily if there's something open circuit for right driver.
Though there's also some wires from ends of head band's wires to actual driver in right side cup which could be the cause.
Fast complete failure is what should happen in case of break down in "internal wiring".

Again cable would most likely keep working intermittently for weeks.
Had myself skinny cable wearing down twice in Sennheiser HD590. (my first full size headphone)

Thanks, fixed :).

I had the whole lot open, both sides. It did end up being the wire from the band in the right cup, to the speaker. Went back to check after your post and it was a bit dodgy. Cut it back, scratched the enamel off the wire and resoldered it, right side is alive again. I'm sure that exact connection had continuity earlier when I checked it, but guess not.

Creative Aurvana Live are a good shout for about £55, if less is preferable.

They have gone up a bit though, so not quite the fantastic £40 bargain that they were; but are still one of the best choices for a closed lower budget headphone.

DT770's are worth the extra though. They have larger cups than the CAL's and are likely better built. CAL's are mainly if not all plastic; Beyerdynamic headphones are known for being pretty tough. Velour pads too compared to pleather on the CAL's. Beyerdynamic headphones are also known for having each part being replaceable, so easier to replace something if need be.

Thanks.

k92 are fixed now, but will still probably take a look at swapping over to the dt770 as they do look good and review well. £100 is no problem is they are worth the extra, which it seems they are. I'm always playing something or other, so should probably have something nicer anyway :).

Soldato
k92 are fixed now, but will still probably take a look at swapping over to the dt770 as they do look good and review well. £100 is no problem is they are worth the extra, which it seems they are. I'm always playing something or other, so should probably have something nicer anyway :).
Beyerdynamic has basically all parts of DT770-990 serie available as spare parts, so those are easily repairable if something wears down.
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/service/spare-parts

Back
Top Bottom