Sound Blaster G6 able to 5.1 on my HT via Optical?

OCP

OCP

Associate
Hi guys, I've been receiving conflicting info about the Optical out on the G6.
I've been trying to get the G6 to run 5.1 on my Home theatre system via optical but its a no go.

Read a thread here and the guy says it does.

From amazon.com:

Q: does it do 5.1 via the optical out? I'm planning to plug it into a Logitech 5.1 speaker set.
A: No, there is no support for 5.1 via optical out.
By Creative Labs, Inc. on December 31, 2018

Q: As i understand the switch outputs 5.1 ch surround via pcm. will the g6 output 5.1 surround via the optical out port?
A: In order to enjoy 5.1 Dolby Digital Decoding with your Creative Sound BlasterX G6, you will have to connect the audio source to it using the SPDIF jack (mini-TOSLINK cable).
By Creative Labs, Inc. on February 7, 2019

Any one able to chime in?

Cheers.

Soldato
Dolby Digital decoding and encoding are different things.
Since all home theater amplifiers have for years come with HDMI, sound card makers haven't bothered to include encoder in latest cards.

Associate
I seem to have it working.

It's just setup with 5.1 speakers in the connect software with SP DIF as the output and I'm using an old Sony AV amp with 5.1 . Using windows sound menu and running a channel test it correctly plays through the various speakers, also running "test patterns" in Netflix it again gets the right channel outputs. Both the SBX and SPDIF icons are lit up in the software, hope this helps. I'm running connect 3.3.2

Further proof that it's doing encoding/decoding on the fly, while in docked mode (just connected to Sky Q box via optical, not computer), clicking either the SBX profile or scout mode buttons changes the sound going to the AV amp. It therefore cannot just be a straight pass through on the optical signal path.

Last edited:

OCP

OCP

Associate
OP
I seem to have it working.

It's just setup with 5.1 speakers in the connect software with SP DIF as the output and I'm using an old Sony AV amp with 5.1 . Using windows sound menu and running a channel test it correctly plays through the various speakers, also running "test patterns" in Netflix it again gets the right channel outputs. Both the SBX and SPDIF icons are lit up in the software, hope this helps. I'm running connect 3.3.2

Further proof that it's doing encoding/decoding on the fly, while in docked mode (just connected to Sky Q box via optical, not computer), clicking either the SBX profile or scout mode buttons changes the sound going to the AV amp. It therefore cannot just be a straight pass through on the optical signal path.

Yo, thanks for getting back to me. I just did exactly as you said and I'm also using an old Sony HT system. Have you tried using the test button with 5.1 selected in the SB Connect software? When I press the rear channels they come out of both speakers.

Also, do you have 'Apple Headphone Virtualization to Line/Optical Out' ticked?
Also, you have the cable plugged into the optical out of the g6 then into your speakers?
Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
Yo, thanks for getting back to me. I just did exactly as you said and I'm also using an old Sony HT system. Have you tried using the test button with 5.1 selected in the SB Connect software? When I press the rear channels they come out of both speakers.

Also, you have the cable plugged into the optical out of the g6 then into your speakers?
Cheers!

Running speaker test in SB connect, sounds like there is some crossover happening on the rears, the target speaker though is always the louder one.

Where are you seeing the apple headphone virtualization setting, not seeing it atm? I'm using Windows 10 so I'd be surprised to see something apple related?

Connection is USB from PC to G6 then optical out to Sony AV Amp.

Soldato
That Apply Headphone Virtualization... outputs two channel headphone mix from optical output as stereo PCM.
SB Z serie also had option for that.
With Dolby Digital/DTS encoding options in their own setting page.

With patents of original Dolby Digital/AC-3 having expired it could be now used actually freely without licensing fees.

OCP

OCP

Associate
OP
Running speaker test in SB connect, sounds like there is some crossover happening on the rears, the target speaker though is always the louder one.

Where are you seeing the apple headphone virtualization setting, not seeing it atm? I'm using Windows 10 so I'd be surprised to see something apple related?

Connection is USB from PC to G6 then optical out to Sony AV Amp.
Sorry was a typo i mean't Apply Headphone Virtualization to Line/Optical Out. Its located at the setup tab just above Configuration.

I gather you have headphones set to 5.1 with audio effects ticked in SB Connect? What speaker setting(while using headphones) would you use in windows? stereo or 5.1?

Last edited:

OCP

OCP

Associate
OP
That Apply Headphone Virtualization... outputs two channel headphone mix from optical output as stereo PCM.
SB Z serie also had option for that.
With Dolby Digital/DTS encoding options in their own setting page.

With patents of original Dolby Digital/AC-3 having expired it could be now used actually freely without licensing fees.
OH hey, I have a SB Z too. Would you recommend using the optical out on the G6 or on the SBZ? I'm trying to get the best out of my old HT system. I know that the SBZ has DDL and DTS options to play with.
But in all honesty, I'm not very sound setting savvy but I have good ears.

Associate
Sorry was a typo i mean't Apply Headphone Virtualization to Line/Optical Out. Its located at the setup tab just above Configuration.

I gather you have headphones set to 5.1 with audio effects ticked in SB Connect? What speaker setting(while using headphones) would you use in windows? stereo or 5.1?

No not used.

Soldato
OH hey, I have a SB Z too. Would you recommend using the optical out on the G6 or on the SBZ? I'm trying to get the best out of my old HT system. I know that the SBZ has DDL and DTS options to play with.
But in all honesty, I'm not very sound setting savvy but I have good ears.
When using digital output you don't use analog circuitry at all, so SB Z wouldn't be any worser than G6 for getting 5.1 sound out.

Back
Top Bottom