Thoughts on the 2009 Ford 2.3 Litre Petrol Engine (I Don't Think It's an EcoBoost)

Soldato
Hello

I've looked in 2009 Mondeos and I've seen a few that are 2.3 litre petrol engines. They output 159 bhp.

What are your thoughts on these engines? Are they the EcoBoost variants? Are they reliable?

Many thanks

Caporegime
Hello

I've looked in 2009 Mondeos and I've seen a few that are 2.3 litre petrol engines. They output 159 bhp.

What are your thoughts on these engines? Are they the EcoBoost variants? Are they reliable?

Many thanks

Nothing to do with the ecoboost, it's from a duratec engine Mazda reworked and put in the 3 MPS with a turbo. Just get a 2l one.

Soldato
It's slow and inefficient, especially considering the only transmission option is a conventional slushbox automatic. I'd avoid it. If your budget won't stretch to an Ecoboost model then you're better off with the 2.0 Duratec. Its performance is equally unimpressive but it will at least be more economical.

Soldato
OP
I thought it looked fishy. Stats state its a 2.3 litre N/A petrol engine outputting 159 bhp and only 21 mpg urban :eek:

I thought there might have been a redeeming quality I'm missing somewhere

Soldato
The output on the turbo'd 2.3l MPS is 256BHP...while great fun to drive and I love mine, it always feels like it's not enough power for the engine size.

Associate
Does this have any relation to that of the Focus RS? - obviously producing a hell of a lot less power with many different parts, in a similar way to the 3.0 engine used in the BMW lineup is used across all, from the 325 to the 140M, cheaper and easier to produce one for all than many different perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom