Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
It depends when you ask them to downgrade you from, it can be from near instant to 30+ days time depending on what you asked for/what you have, either way hub reboots won't make any difference or all people would do is just avoid rebooting them post downgrade.

I reboot the hub last night, hub download new profile setting then reboot again, now running stable at 100mb. Not really missing the extra download speed apart from downloading games, but do wish to have more upload speed.

Its that time of year...Virgin renewal due 12th of March, so under a month.. Will be calling them later
Currently on TV (M), Vivid 100 and Talk more anytime phone. Currently on £43pcm, going up to £58.

When I called last week, they can see I rarely use TV but use a lot of broadband so they offer me: Mix TV/basic phone plus broadband (350mb for £60pm, 200mb for £50pm and 100mb for £40pm). At the end I took the cheapest package.

I wish I can use thinking of leaving virgin to see if they offer better deal but in my area only virgin offer fast broadband, other ISPs only can provide around 15mb.

Soldato
Been nosing around and now have a spreadsheet put together laying out my options.
Basically:
I dont care about TV (amazon fire stick, netflix and freesat covers all our needs)
I slightly care about home phone, but would happily bin it off and use mobile for calls.
BB matters.

I can get BT here, upto 50mb. Happy to move to them if push comes to shove.
With current quidco/prepaid mastercards etc I can average out to ~£28 PCM (inc setup costs, cashback etc) for an internet only package at 50mb

Cheapest virgin new customer offer is 50mb BB and talk weekends, looks to be £29 PCm (all costs taken into account).

Would rather have faster, as we do hammer it sometimes.. 100mb of the same shows as £42 pcm (all costs taken into account)
Then bumped into Virgin Business (VOOM!).. 350mb for £41 pcm (all costs taken into account)... Which looks pretty good to me.

Will have a conversation with them tonight and see what they offer. End of the day I am happy to walk and go elsewhere, but I do like what they offer.. Would rather stay if they can get the price right. Not going to agree to anything on the call tonight, other than to tell them they are too expensive.

Soldato
Hi all,

Just taken delivery of our self install virgin media pack, all connected up. Just got a flashing green bottom light. And a message in the hub saying '' access denied"

I can see a downstream channel sync of 835000000Hz and everything else says scanning/updating etc.

VM support said they reckon we have the wrong cable??? All I did was plug the hub into the wall socket as described in the instructions....

Any ideas?

TIA

Soldato
Well... That went well (not).
Spoke to someone, explained that contract goes expensive in about 30 days time due to end of contract and that I have been looking around to find what the competitors charge.
Explained I dont really need TV or Phone, but if having them gets me a cheaper deal that happy to keep them.
Whats your best and final price I ask.
"£40 a month on a 12 month contract, no tv, basic phone and dropped to 50mb (from 100)."
Point out that if I was a new customer I could get that for £27 a month with a £25setup, so about £29 a month.
"Okay, Just found a better deal for you.. £29 a month"

So £40 wasnt your best.
Right.

Mark me as leaving please, I will find somewhere else to go.
After that she was quite short/bit grumpy sounding (might just be me hearing it, but felt that way). 30 days notice, we will send you an envelope to get the equipment back and you MUST return it.

Just had an email from them, and it states that the agent will have told me the exact date service ends (she didnt) and exactly how final billing will work (again, she didnt). Have gone back to them querying these points.

Not cool.

They know the best price I have found elsewhere is £28 for 60mb broadband and free weekend calls... Lets play the waiting game and see what they come back with.

Also going to have a chat with Virgin Business, as I like the look of what they offer and have heard good things.

Soldato
Did you phone the activation line to get the modem activated on the network? There should have been a letter with a phone number to call.

The Superhub doesn't plug in - you should have to screw in the coax cable from the wall box with a "F-connector" screw connector.

Soldato
Yep texted and activated. And the guy on the phone confirmed it had been.

Came with a coax cable without a thread and instructions not to screw. The plug on the wall does have a thread though, but the cable does seem to push onto it ok?

Soldato
Yep texted and activated. And the guy on the phone confirmed it had been.

Came with a coax cable without a thread and instructions not to screw. The plug on the wall does have a thread though, but the cable does seem to push onto it ok?

I've never seen one that doesn't have a f-connector screw at each end. One goes into the connector/splitter in the wall box, one gets screwed into the back of the Superhub. The screws hold it on and make a good connection. I know the newer installs can be fibre to the house, but you should have coax indoors. Maybe post some pictures?

Otherwise you are going to have to get a tech out, and they will probably charge you for that.

Soldato
Yep, both the wall socket and the hub have female f conndctors with threads. The cable has male connectors with no thread but the same style as a coax cable. Will try and get some pictures up

Soldato
Yep, both the wall socket and the hub have female f conndctors with threads. The cable has male connectors with no thread but the same style as a coax cable. Will try and get some pictures up

Exactly! You should have male f-connectors that you can screw in. You won't get a connection without being able to screw the connectors on.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
My install wasn't standard f connectors, rather a cross between aerial and f connector, where the connector is pushed on with a slight series of ridges to grip rather than screw. The sticker on it said DO NOT SCREW and to push on only.

SH3.

Soldato
The cable supplied with the hub doesn't have a thread to screw on and specifically says on the cable "just push me on don't screw me"

That is so weird - are you sure they are not for fibre installs? It's like they are desperate not to have techs come out and properly terminate the cables with F-connectors.

Edit: Looks like VM are now using push fit connectors on stuff. Seems pretty lazy to me, but there you go. If your broadband hasn't come up by now, you'll have to phone up support and ask them to try pushing the configuration file to the modem. It can normally take up to half an hour, but support can also manually get a modem on the network straight away. If not, there's a more significant problem that might need a tech.

Last edited:
Soldato
Retentions rang.. 'Best' they can do right now (under 12 hours after putting in my cancellation) is £22 pcm for 100Mbps with no tv/no phone and first 2 months free on a new 12 month contact. Not bad, nearly bit... But told them its 'about the going rate' and that I will add them to my spreadsheet. She said they will be back in touch if anything better comes along.

Associate
Retentions rang.. 'Best' they can do right now (under 12 hours after putting in my cancellation) is £22 pcm for 100Mbps with no tv/no phone and first 2 months free on a new 12 month contact. Not bad, nearly bit... But told them its 'about the going rate' and that I will add them to my spreadsheet. She said they will be back in touch if anything better comes along.
looking forward to what you can get I am on 200 for £36 a month up in a couple of months so will follow this

Soldato
Anyone here run OpenVPN or WireGuard on their home network. I have been running into a ton of issues with it and I think its coming down to the port forwarding. I have read conflicting things of if the SuperHub is either capable/terrible/broken in terms of doing it but I am just looking for anyone who runs it at the minute that might be able to advise.

All the forum posts etc I have found are quite old and so I am wondering it its maybe a firmware upgrade thats killed the SH3 in terms of port forwarding?

Associate
I cancelled about a week ago on cost grounds. Been with VM for several years on this last stretch, have chopped and changed previously but been a bit lax of late. Still, paying 60 per month for basic TV, anytime phone and 70mb bb. Think it was 37 last time I started a contract. Retentions called back within 24 and offered a better deal with a speed bump but still more than I'd like to pay.

Annoying thing is I've not planned properly. I am thinking of switching to plusnet or talk talk, but we're not going to be able to be in for an installation when the current service ends. Will have to live without it for 3 or 4 weeks.

So, if VM can offer a reasonable deal I'll probably take it. They have been spamming my mobile the last 3 days but we're on hols so not answering now.

Would be needing to get small TV, anytime phone and at least 100mb bb for less than 40. May be willing to pay a bit more for faster but don't really need to. Also, would need them to update the hub and tivo as I think we're on mark 1 versions. We'll see what they offer.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Had no problems here, it's a roll of the dice. My guy was great, I'd moved the TV to the other alcove and was worried about the cable looking a right state. Without asking, just thought I'd leave him to it he connected it all up taking care, clipping cables making it look great, not just leaving the splitter wobbling around and properly mounting everything etc.

Back
Top Bottom