• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1660TI

Man of Honour
WHAT!, you mean no competition like AMDs Vega56 which hands the GTX 1660 Ti it's backside in every single benchmark I've seen, has more memory and is cheaper than Nvidia offering!
although they're at the same-ish price point, this is AMD's high-end chip vs nvidia's mid-range chip we're comparing here. is this not the very definition of "no competition"?
we've not even mentioned power requirements (and therefore, heat output) of the 1660ti vs the vega yet.
IIRC reading about how AMD makes a loss for every vega64 they sell. at the moment 16gb hbm2 costs $320 (ie 8gb costs $160).
i can't see how this is healthy for AMD, they're making next to no profit per chip 18 months+ down the line at best, or at worst, still making a loss per gpu sold.
so yes, whilst this is good for the consumer, it probably isn't helping in the long-term.

I'm genuinely interested why you bought this card of a Vega56 for £248.99 with 3 free games?
a blower cooler for the vega 56. lol if you'd want to go deaf, of course :p

Associate
What? It is much better than the competition at regular prices.
Is it though? The regular price of the blower Vega 56 seems to be £250,and an extra £10 for the current price (because that is what counts when comparing price vs performance) not to mention free games
Your average Joe is only interested in one thing - Nvidia good, AMD bad.
I am sure when you bought that i5 2500k that had been the casewith CPUs, with Intel being good and AMD being bad, but nowdays AMD is best bang per buck, and unless you have got £800 to spend on a GPU, then AMD stacks up well

Associate
Yes the vega 56 is more attractive at its current price point but you could say the same thing about AMD’s 590 which without the unusually low price of vega 56 would be a better price comparison to the 1660.

The cheap vega 56’s do make both seem like a bad deal but a 2060 can be had for less than £300 and is faster/quieter/cooler/more efficient than vega 56 so one could also bring that into the mix too.

There’s now a lot of choice in the sub £300 bracket but with vega 56 priced so cheaply it starts to make sense to people including me who bought one but it does skew the market somewhat.

Problem at the moment is with AMD so far behind we are having to compare nvidias new energy efficient entry level chips with AMD’s until very recently top cards and it’s not always an easy comparison to make whether it’s on price/performance/efficiency etc.

Where's the sub £300 2060's at?

OcUK Staff
Where's the sub £300 2060's at?

Another retailer did have them for £299.99, and one had an offer today for £303 plus shipping

At OcUK!

Palit GeForce RTX 2060 StormX 6144MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £299.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Pali...DDR6-PCI-Express-Graphics-Card-GX-04N-PL.html

NE62060018J9-161F, Boost Clock: 1680MHz, Memory: 6144MB 14000MHz GDDR6, Cuda Cores: 1920, VR Ready, PhysX/CUDA Enabled, NVIDIA Turing, 12nm Process, Real-Time Ray Tracing, 2 Years Warranty

Only £299.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Associate
Soldato
Sub £300 2060 now with a choice of a game vs cheapest ocuk 1660ti at £40 less and with no game means your would have to be pretty mad or massively budget constrained to think the 1660ti was the better buy.

Associate
I'm totally new to all this, so a few weeks ago when my kid asked if he could upgrade his graphics card. He's got a gtx 770 at the mo. I had a few posts did some research and decided to wait for the 1660. So I've been following this thread and it seems, if I'm understanding correctly that it's a decent card and will be a fair upgrade for him but it's priced to high or to close to the 2060 to make it a worthwhile buy.
The 1660 he wanted was the gigabyte at £270 or the MSI and £309.
I've got no idea on brands .Are there good / bad ones. And is everyone saying ditch the higher priced brand 1660 and instead buy the lower priced brand 2060. For example the one that's £299 or the zotac at £320.

Soldato
I'm totally new to all this, so a few weeks ago when my kid asked if he could upgrade his graphics card. He's got a gtx 770 at the mo. I had a few posts did some research and decided to wait for the 1660. So I've been following this thread and it seems, if I'm understanding correctly that it's a decent card and will be a fair upgrade for him but it's priced to high or to close to the 2060 to make it a worthwhile buy.
I've got no idea on brands .Are there good / bad ones. And is everyone saying ditch the higher priced brand 1660 and instead buy the lower priced brand 2060. For example the one that's £299 or the zotac at £320.
As these are freshly-released the pricing is still high compared to relative performance. If you want better VFM (and performance) go for a similarly priced VEGA 56 (with 3x decent free games) or stretch that little bit forther for a 2060. I personally opted for a VEGA 56 Pulse and cannot be happier.

Soldato
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ess-graphics-card-11276-02-40g-gx-38f-sp.html

Has 3 free decent games!

Man of Honour
@Russ holmes as above few posters have already mentioned, Vega 56 is the better value choice.
BUT only if your current PSU is of sufficient quality to power the card.
The 1660ti sips power. Vega 56, not so much...unless you want to spend time tweaking settings.

Associate
Thanks guys, his PSU is a Corsair 600. The pc is probably about 7 years old, his plan was to give it a bit of a boost with a new GPU then save up and in 12 - 18 month build a new pc using this GPU. I hadn't considered the Vega as he wants to stick with Nvidia. But it's something I'll definitely look into..

Back
Top Bottom