• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

games constantly crashing after upgrading to RTX2080ti

Associate
So I installed my palit 2080ti earlier today, everything seemed to be running ok, started up black ops 4 and I cant finish a match without my the GPU usage spiking to 100% and then the game freezes up, pc still runs fine, just the game that's frozen but sometimes the whole computer freezes if force shutting the game fails. All the temps are just fine and with a 750w psu I dont see that being the issue either. Tried running the game on lower settings, same issue but a larger spike up to reach 100% and freeze.
I tried running battlefield to see how that went and I get a similar issue except its the cpu spiking and then the game freezing again which is just confusing me further. CPU spike isnt to max though, more like 95% unlike the GPU spikes which would only ever cause the game to freeze at 100% load. Haven't changed any settings relating to the CPU unless I've messed with something whilst trying to fix this and forgotten about it.

Its a Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Dual with an i7 6700k CPU, motherboards an asus z170.

Any ideas or potential fixes? Thought it might just be call of duty messing with my GPU but then battlefield doing strange things to my CPU threw me a curve ball.

Caporegime
Try underclocking your card a little (say -100/150), then you may be able to tell if it's a card issue (it's boosting too high at stock) or maybe a power issue.

Same as above too, make sure you have a clean set of drivers in.

Associate
OP
ah, no I didnt think to that since both cards had the same driver version, I'll give that a go then try underclocking.

Soldato
All the temps are just fine and with a 750w psu I dont see that being the issue either.

What PSU have you got? Just because it powered your 1070 ok means nothing as the 2080ti requires more power. The PSU could have been right at the threshold before, you just never knew. I've seen even respectable branded PSU's cause issues like you're experiencing.

First things first though and I'd be making sure the software side of things is up to scratch before swapping out hardware. Clean driver install first and then if still no good a fresh install of Windows just to be certain.

Associate
Had similar problems with my brothers RTX2070. worked great for a week then games started crashing and the black screens after bios post. A fresh install of windows worked lovely until the drivers were installed. RMA'd the card and it has been proven faulty. Done some some looking around and seems early batches of RTX referenmce design cards may of had a batch of dodgy GDDR 6

Spent ages diagnosing the problem as was certain it was dodgy Drivers/windows or worse case PSU. Might be best to just RMA the card

Associate
OP
Well the clean driver install didn't pan out, didnt even make it into a match before freezing this time. I'll try the other things mentioned here then contact overclockers about returning it if I still haven't got anywhere.

Associate
What was the outcome to this problem?
I have the exact same cpu and motherboard as you, I also have a 750psu and bought the same gpu.
I've upgraded from a 980 ti and have never had a single issue until I upgraded in January to the 2080 ti.

I've seen loads of articles saying the RTX line is plagued with problems, I can't believe this can happen with a £1000 card.

Soldato
Agreed, it's a lottery it seems with 2080 ti's, I got super lucky with mine, great OC'er and even better temps with said OC. But a friend got one and had the same as you, constant crashes, instability and eventually RMA'd it and hasn't had a problem since.

Soldato
So I installed my palit 2080ti earlier today, everything seemed to be running ok, started up black ops 4 and I cant finish a match without my the GPU usage spiking to 100% and then the game freezes up, pc still runs fine, just the game that's frozen but sometimes the whole computer freezes if force shutting the game fails. All the temps are just fine and with a 750w psu I dont see that being the issue either. Tried running the game on lower settings, same issue but a larger spike up to reach 100% and freeze.
I tried running battlefield to see how that went and I get a similar issue except its the cpu spiking and then the game freezing again which is just confusing me further. CPU spike isnt to max though, more like 95% unlike the GPU spikes which would only ever cause the game to freeze at 100% load. Haven't changed any settings relating to the CPU unless I've messed with something whilst trying to fix this and forgotten about it.

Its a Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Dual with an i7 6700k CPU, motherboards an asus z170.

Any ideas or potential fixes? Thought it might just be call of duty messing with my GPU but then battlefield doing strange things to my CPU threw me a curve ball.

Welcome to a rma world mate lol I hope it’s something silly cos the thought of rma sends me nuts lol.

Soldato
Welcome to a rma world mate lol I hope it’s something silly cos the thought of rma sends me nuts lol.

As most of you no I had to rma my card and it wasn’t good for a 1000 quid card but the zotac has been nothing but amazing .

Op check with CPUZ and see what ram it has I think maybe micron.

You know theres an edit button right? Or are you aiming for MM with all those posts? lol

Back
Top Bottom