And the police want more money...? Sheesh.

Permabanned
Yet another total disaster from the police who must have wasted millions of tax payers money on an absurdly long investigation they have comprehensively failed to administer properly. Early retirements on a full and hefty pension incoming? Couldn't run a drinking session in a brewery comes to mind, no wonder they squander time and resources trawling the social media sites for people calling others names, it's about their mark. As Nick Freeman, the solicitor who is famous as Mr. Loophole for getting celebrities off driving charges says, it's not rocket science, I just find the sloppy casework and none adherence to protocol, and often it's remarkably easy to find this.

A speeding offence brought by traffic cops, who are often far from Inspector Morse's or the sharpest knives in the drawer is one thing, a huge case like this? Disgraceful. Totally incompetent. Risible.

I await them blaming the government cuts or "Brexit".

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/new...umbria-police-failings-grooming-gang-15939049

############################################

Police failings have led to the dramatic collapse of a series of trials against a group of men accused of trafficking, grooming and raping girls in Newcastle.

A number of people were charged with extremely serious offences as part of Northumbria Police's Operation Optic, which involved allegations of vulnerable girls being sexually exploited and abused.

Reporting restrictions have meant we were unable to report anything about the cases until a series of three trials were complete.

The first trial has been taking place at Newcastle Crown Court since January but, we can now reveal, has been beset with problems and five separate juries have been sworn in to try the case.

However, it has now emerged that police failings on how evidence was recorded, secured and disclosed to defence teams left prosecutors with no alternative but to drop the case against all defendants.

As a result, all of those who were standing trial or were due to stand trial, have been acquitted of all charges and walked free.

It is estimated the police blunders will have cost taxpayers huge sums after the four-year investigation ended in embarrassing failure.

Police said they have apologised to the complainants in the case and are carrying out a review.

Chief Superintendent Scott Hall, head of Northumbria Police’s safeguarding department, said: “First and foremost, I want to acknowledge the bravery of the victims in these cases and we remain committed to ensuring they receive any support they may require.

"We have visited each to apologise for police failings which resulted in the cases not going ahead at court.

"These centred around how some evidence had been secured without meeting strict guidelines governing investigations.

"We will now conduct a review to understand how the failings occurred and it would therefore be inappropriate to comment any further at this stage.”

It is understood that, independent of the wider review, Northumbria Police's professional standards department are conducting an investigation and if any misconduct issues are identified as a result, these will be addressed appropriately.

Operation Optic came about as a result of Operation Sanctuary, for which seventeen men and one woman were jailed in 2017 for the sexual abuse and exploitation of girls and young women in Newcastle.

The case against the men who had been on trial since January collapsed on Monday but we had to wait until the charges were dropped against the other defendants before we could report what had happened.

On Monday, trial judge Robert Adams told jurors: "There has been a significant development in this court.

"The prosecution have a duty to review the case continually during the trial, against each defendant.

"In respect of counts where there is no evidence at all, you have already returned not guilty verdicts.

"In respect of the remaining counts, there was some evidence given by the complainant to you but in respect of each allegation, you may have concluded there were some problems concerning the evidence given by (the complainant).

"During last week a number of officers were cross-examined about the investigation process in relation to the recording of inquiries made, or, as the case may be, not made.

"The investigation must be transparent and must be fair.

"There must be integrity and the process must be able to stand up to scrutiny.

"Very properly, prosecutors have reviewed the case and concluded there is no reasonable prospect of a proper conviction in respect of any individual."

###############################

Permabanned
OP
They can't even run their recruitment section safely, as the paedophile Market Drayton copper showed, they don't need more money, they need to show some basic competence from the staff they already have:

"Naude, who served in Afghanistan as a machine gunner with the Royal Irish Regiment, had been due to join Cheshire Police in January 2017 but the recruitment process was halted following an allegation he raped a woman in neighbouring Staffordshire.

When no further action was taken in the case, a decision was made by the vetting department to allow the process to continue and Naude was appointed to the force in April that year.

But when police began to investigate Naude following his arrest, they found he had also been a named suspect in two child grooming allegations – reported to Staffordshire Police and West Mercia Police in January and February 2017."

Caporegime
The police are stretched thin and with regards to the cps scandal (last year?), clearly can not operate correctly.

This is what you get when you vote in the tories and expect unicorns to fly out from the police when they’re forced to deal with massive rise in homelessness, massive cuts to both funding and personnel, forced to adhere to new rules by said government that’s caused all the ruckus in the first place.

This isn’t the polices fault, if an investigation concludes that it was, I’ll change my mind.

Soldato
The police are stretched thin and with regards to the cps scandal (last year?), clearly can not operate correctly.

This is what you get when you vote in the tories and expect unicorns to fly out from the police when they’re forced to deal with massive rise in homelessness, massive cuts to both funding and personnel, forced to adhere to new rules by said government that’s caused all the ruckus in the first place.

This isn’t the polices fault, if an investigation concludes that it was, I’ll change my mind.
THE TORIES THE TORIES THE TORIES.

Have you ever thought of applying to join the BBC Question Time audience? It sounds like you'd be a good fit. What are your views on bankers bonuses?

Caporegime
THE TORIES THE TORIES THE TORIES.

Have you ever thought of applying to join the BBC Question Time audience? It sounds like you'd be a good fit. What are your views on bankers bonuses?

The same bbc that is run by Tory grandees and constantly brings on Tory plants for agendas?
You’st be joking.

The bankers can do as they please.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If they'd arrested the gangs 5-10 years ago when the grooming/rapes were happening rather than covering it all up so as "not to give oxygen to the people trying to expose culturally sensitive issues" they wouldn't be needing to waste money investigating something that happened years ago with hardly any physical evidence, they could have sperm samples for easy convictions if they had done their jobs properly to begin with. I wouldn't give the police any more money until they get back to policing actual crimes rather than being the political correctness enforcement arm of the left.

It still boggles my mind that they are wasting resources on "non crime hate incidents" and then have the cheek to complain about a lack of resources.

Bonkers.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
The case would almost certainly have had a dedicated team working full time, or near full time, on it, there's no excuse, it was shear inability or unwillingness to follow well documented protocol. Heads should roll, you can't blame the government for such incompetence.

Caporegime
This isn’t the polices fault

"Chief Superintendent Scott Hall, head of Northumbria Police’s safeguarding department, said: “First and foremost, I want to acknowledge the bravery of the victims in these cases and we remain committed to ensuring they receive any support they may require.

"We have visited each to apologise for police failings which resulted in the cases not going ahead at court.

"These centred around how some evidence had been secured without meeting strict guidelines governing investigations."

First post...head of the department apologising for the police failings. He seems to think it's their fault.

Caporegime
"Chief Superintendent Scott Hall, head of Northumbria Police’s safeguarding department, said: “First and foremost, I want to acknowledge the bravery of the victims in these cases and we remain committed to ensuring they receive any support they may require.

"These centred around how some evidence had been secured without meeting strict guidelines governing investigations."

First post...head of the department apologising for the police failings. He seems to think it's their fault.

It’s easier to eat **** than throw it onto the real culprits.

Again if investigations find them wholly responsible with zero extenuating circumstance, I’ll change my opinion on the matter.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . "non crime hate incidents" . . .
You do realise that there is such a thing as "Hate crime" don't you?
Citizen's Advice said:
Any criminal offence can be a hate crime if it was carried out because of hostility or prejudice based on disability, race, religion, transgender identity or sexual orientation. When something is classed as a hate crime, the judge can impose a tougher sentence on the offender under the Criminal Justice Act 2003.
Perhaps you would just rather that the police not investigate crimes which happen not to bother you?

Soldato
To pay compensation claims you mean?

Simply to do the job correctly. I'm not going to sit here and cast aspersions at any political party or areas of the government, but the police are stretched and dont have the resources needed. As such, the quality of the output is going to go down and mistakes will be made.

The case would almost certainly have had a dedicated team working full time, or near full time, on it, there's no excuse, it was shear inability or unwillingness to follow well documented protocol. Heads should roll, you can't blame the government for such incompetence.

An easy assumption to make, but do you really have any idea? Sounds like a perfect world you're projecting.

I wont pretend to know the ins and outs of everything police related, but I do have a very close friend who has recently left the police (CID) and this is where my view has come from. There's so much red tape and paperwork to trip them up and they don't have the manpower to cover everything effectively.

Associate
It appears from the judges summing up that enquiries that were done were not recorded and presented in the disclosure, which leaves it open to scrutiny. There also seems to be some enquiries that were also not completed, my guess would be forensic examination of mobile devices that undermine the credibility of the complainants.

To be honest it's not surprising, digital forensic evidence has become so complex most CPS lawyers don't understand it, experienced detectives have been pushed to breaking point and are burned out, new officer training has been cut by almost half and inexperienced detectives in training are given too much responsibility without the necessary skills.

Back
Top Bottom