• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Used GTX1080TI prices way too high?

Associate
Currently on Ebay GTX1080TI's are fetching around £500 with some going for much more, yet the RTX2080 is selling on OCUK for £640, and come bundled with 3 games Battlefield V, Anthem, & Metro Exodus. There's also a 3 year warranty included as well.

As new games are released and more driver updates too the RTX cards are going to increase their performance and the 1080 is not. At the present time the second hand prices being realised appear to be way to high - a great time to sell but not to buy!

Question is though what should the 1080Ti really be selling for and once people realise the new alternative is a better choice how quickly will those prices fall ?

Caporegime
The 1080Ti does seem to fetch strong prices second hand.

Considering I picked up a high end 1080 last month for £260 a 1080Ti can’t really be worth twice that.

The issue with the 2080 is firstly RTX doesn’t add a great deal of value, and it’s short of VRAM for a £650 card.

Associate
The 2080 has the same performance as the 1080ti, roughly, so unless the prices of the 2080 approach the same as the 1080ti, I cant see the second hand prices falling yet. As already said RTX (and DLSS) dont add anything as they are implemented just now.

OcUK Staff
They are still selling here for £1100 new it’s a card with an incredible reputation and this has held value very well and as it’s become harder to source it’s become more expensive.

Even at £1100 they sell well, of course any sensible person would buy a Vega 7 or 2080 for near half price or for same money get a 2080Ti

Associate
I recently got an Inno3D iChill GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 for £450 off of eBay. It was up for £500 but eBay were doing a 10% off voucher. I feel the price was too high, however, the price of GPUs in general is too high. It drives my 1440p 165Hz screen perfectly so I got what I wanted. I also bought a Vega 56 for the sever so I can play games with the Mrs and friends. This was effectively £230 after selling the games. I've undervolted and slightly overclocked it and it performs really well for the price. It handles all games maxed so it doesn't offer a wildly different gaming experience vs the 1080Ti but cost half the price.

Associate
OP
The 2080 has the same performance as the 1080ti, roughly, so unless the prices of the 2080 approach the same as the 1080ti, I cant see the second hand prices falling yet. As already said RTX (and DLSS) dont add anything as they are implemented just now.

With 3 free games - and a 3 year warranty, plus new games in the pipeline with Ray Tracing & DLSS there's more futureproofing, the prices considering that seem pretty evenly matched.

Associate
plus new games in the pipeline with Ray Tracing & DLSS there's more futureproofing

I have heard of this 'future proofing' before..... https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/275890-why-you-cant-future-proof-your-gaming-pc
also
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/games-support-nvidia-ray-tracing/

By the time the technology is widely supported, if it ever is, there will be faster and cheaper hardware available, otherwise its not worth developers time (money) to aim for that market, unless the coding is remarkably easy to implement.

Associate
OP
I have heard of this 'future proofing' before..... https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/275890-why-you-cant-future-proof-your-gaming-pc
also
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/games-support-nvidia-ray-tracing/

By the time the technology is widely supported, if it ever is, there will be faster and cheaper hardware available, otherwise its not worth developers time (money) to aim for that market, unless the coding is remarkably easy to implement.

I don't think future proofing in the way most people use the term means it will last forever, just that one component will last longer as a viable choice than an other, the web page calls this optimisation, it's a question of semantics. For instance the RTX cards have the new universal socket for VR which you might not want to use now, but somewhere down the line. It give you another option which you lose with the GTX card. Add onto this that the RTX card is likely to maintain its value long after the GTX card has lost it and that is why it is more 'future proof', optimised if you prefer that word.

Soldato
I recently got an Inno3D iChill GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 for £450 off of eBay. It was up for £500 but eBay were doing a 10% off voucher. I feel the price was too high, however, the price of GPUs in general is too high. It drives my 1440p 165Hz screen perfectly so I got what I wanted. I also bought a Vega 56 for the sever so I can play games with the Mrs and friends. This was effectively £230 after selling the games. I've undervolted and slightly overclocked it and it performs really well for the price. It handles all games maxed so it doesn't offer a wildly different gaming experience vs the 1080Ti but cost half the price.

56 is a stonking good card. The grief it gets by some, is ridiculous

Man of Honour
The 1080Ti is an amazing card. The 2080 is basically broken. So I am not surprised. I wouldn’t sell mine as it does everything I need, and probably will for sometime looking at the pathetic pc gaming line up.

Quiet, fast and cool. Best card I have owned for years.

Associate
They are still selling here for £1100 new it’s a card with an incredible reputation and this has held value very well and as it’s become harder to source it’s become more expensive.

Even at £1100 they sell well, of course any sensible person would buy a Vega 7 or 2080 for near half price or for same money get a 2080Ti

Well a RTX is pretty much like playing Russian Roulette unless we've had a official response from Nvidia about the GDDR6 issues and it's been fixed on all newly produced cards.

Associate
I bought my Palit card 2nd hand for £500 6 months ago and regret it not! Not the coolest or fastest card but with some tweaking it runs nicely at 1950MHz with temps maintained at 70°c with the fans at 50% (very reasonable noise level). At this point with 2080's down to £650 with games I'd probably go that route but this card is perfect for 1440p/165Hz.

Soldato
I have a STRIX 1080TI that OCs to 2050 stable on the default cooler. Its not loud and doesnt get over 72 degrees C even in the most demanding of games. Ive owned pretty much every flagship Nvidia card and i can say that i havent been as pleased with a GPU since i owned a 8800GTX. Amazing piece of kit which handles 4K great.

Man of Honour
Don’t you mean the 2080 Ti? I’ve read it’s mostly 2080Ti’s.
correct, but not quite. all Turing cards with gddr6 have the same issue
includes 2080 and 2070 - just that their mem isn't clocked as high as the 2080ti, so the failure rate is less pronounced.
2080 is reportedly the most stable out of the 2070/2080/2080ti as it mostly uses samsung memory - i don't know whether this is true or not, so please take with a pinch of salt
there's also some sporadic reports of 2060s having space invaders too.
1660ti just came out, and its gddr6 is clocked even slower than 2060, so their reliability remains unknown as yet.

Back
Top Bottom