• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte Vega 64, what would you do?

Soldato
I had a Gigabyte Vega 64 for around 4 months now, which has been nothing but trouble.
It's taking a long time to troubleshoot, but it looks like it's the reason behind my crashing in games. It seems I'm not the only 1 with this problem, other users and reviewers have reported problems and say that the card needs to be undervolted/underclocked.

To be honest, I'm quite finished with this card and am thinking of selling it, even at a huge loss.

I'm aiming to spend around £400 again, I've heard good things about the Sapphire Vega 64, but I'm wondering if there's anything worth picking up on the AMD side of things.
Or is there anything in the pipeline? Is there a new product coming up which will cause a drop in price on these cards, is it worth hanging onto this Gigabyte card for a few months?

Associate
Go into the AMD settings click to make chill enabled. Then go into wattman and set the card to power save and apply. Is your power supply 750watts if yes fine if not that could be a problem. Let us know how you get on. I would also enable v sync to make sure you are not refreashing faster than your monitor which is a waste. AMD call it enhanced sync. I would also use DDU to completely remove the driver and reinstall. Is your motherboard on the latest bios ? If not get that sorted as well. The card should not crash if it's working ok. When vega gets too hot it will just throttle back down. Install superposition and let it run. If your system crashes there is something wrong and needs further investigation.

Last edited:
Associate
I can get the card tested internally, ask them to test for 48 hour burn over a weekend. Let me know if you need that arranged, if you do I assume this is all at the stock settings the card ships with?

Soldato
OP
Damn thing has crashed twice today.
I've tried undervolting it, but I can't find a guide for this specific card.

I can get the card tested internally, ask them to test for 48 hour burn over a weekend. Let me know if you need that arranged, if you do I assume this is all at the stock settings the card ships with?

I've tried running it at stock.
How long does testing take? I only have the 1 PC.

Soldato
Your card is faulty let gigabyte deal with the rma ( their warranty is excellent)

Dont waste money buying another card, specially the same card, V64.

Have you tried the card in another PC, could also be a PSU problem.

Soldato
OP
On another note, should I get getting these sort of temperatures?
Using GPU-Z to monitor while running Furmark.

GPU Temperature 70 °C
GPU Temperature (Hot Spot) 106 °C
Memory Temperature 84 °C
SOC VRM Temperature 97 °C
Mem VRM Temperature 94 °C

Soldato
That temperature for the HBM is really pushing it, though still should be technically okay. The cooler you keep it, the better it runs though. Buildzoid said that anything above 80 is where instability starts creeping in, so it could be what's causing your crashes. The VRM temperatures are also really not great, but again "acceptable".

Gigabyte's AMD cards are absolutely wretched though and have been for as long as I can remember. They don't appear to give even the slightest of ****s about them and do the absolute bare minimum.

Associate
On another note, should I get getting these sort of temperatures?
Using GPU-Z to monitor while running Furmark.

GPU Temperature 70 °C
GPU Temperature (Hot Spot) 106 °C
Memory Temperature 84 °C
SOC VRM Temperature 97 °C
Mem VRM Temperature 94 °C

I RMA'd my strixx based on the VRM's hitting 106c. The card itself was throttling like crazy, causing frame drops when playing in VR etc. . Get it sent back.

Soldato
OP
I have to agree with this,the Vega cards require tinkering to get the best performance.

I don't mind tinkering with them to get a performance boost, but should I have to tinker with it to get it to work? :p

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to look into returning the card.

Back
Top Bottom