*** It's Show Time *** - March 25th 2019 Apple event

Soldato
I thought I was going to fall asleep before they started showing their TV shows.

Looks like they have some interesting ideas.

Why do Americans go so mad for Oprah? I’ve never understood it

Associate
Disappointed they didn't mention anything about an iPhone SE2, been waiting for ages to see if they are finally going to announce one.
My original SE is hanging on by a thread and I want to get a new phone, but I don't want to get a bigger phone if I can help it :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So we have Magazines... who reads Magazines these days? A credit card that is US only, an updated TV app that allows you to bring pick and choose your cable/subs.. US only. A new subscription TV services that isn't out until the later part of the year, with no pricing info. Strong event.

Soldato
Magazines also appears to be North America focused. It's a shame really, in the US the phone has far more capabilities than here.

Soldato
It's an American company last time I checked, not surprised regional services stuff lands there first and elsewhere in the wold at a later date.

I'm not an Apple apologist by any stretch but we need to make sure our expectations are not too high.

Caporegime
Apple credit card is looking pretty decent, 2% cashback and no fees. Seems like a no brainer.

The US have a higher fee to the retailer so they are able to use this extra income to fund the extra perks and benefits to their US customers.

If you compare the perks for Amex Platnium between the US ans UK you will see a clear difference and the US card have much better perks and much better value for money. The Amex Gold is the same, the US card is much better.

So don’t expect the same 2% and no fee etc benefits when or if it launched here.

Associate
Interesting that the Apple TV app is going to smart TVs , Roku and fire tv .....that’s gotta torpedo sales of the Apple TV box no ? I’m tempted to sell mine now

Associate
Apple seem to be coming late to various things these days and not bringing anything new or revolutionary to the table. I've had a Readly subscription for a couple of years now, well over 2000 magazines, including lots of back issues, for less than Apple want for a paltry 300.

Permabanned
Interesting that the Apple TV app is going to smart TVs , Roku and fire tv .....that’s gotta torpedo sales of the Apple TV box no ? I’m tempted to sell mine now

Won't be yet though there's probably another year for Apple TV then I recon that will be it, this will end same way the Apple Routers have ended. This enables them to concentrate on software and not hardware, something they are good at!

Apple seem to be coming late to various things these days and not bringing anything new or revolutionary to the table. I've had a Readly subscription for a couple of years now, well over 2000 magazines, including lots of back issues, for less than Apple want for a paltry 300.

Does it need to be revolutionary though? Can companies not just bring products out that work and doesn't have any problems. In the tech world we have seen nothing but problems with things not working and it's now nice to know Apple are getting better with things just working correctly. Never in 17 years have I had a single issue with an Apple product.

Soldato
I doubt Apple TV has ever made any money off the hardware, sure there will be profit off the BOM cost but they only sell a poultry amount. The profit centre has always been the content so getting hat content on more devices is likely to lead to more profit.

There is also the fact that most people don’t want set top boxes anymore and smart TVs have powerful processors to handle all the extra apps compared to just a few years ago.

Soldato

It's 300 because they bought Texture last year

https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2018/03/apple-to-acquire-digital-magazine-service-texture/

I imagine once they start getting the Apple subscriber count up they'll use it as leverage to get more magazines on board.

Not watched the keynote yet as it doesn't sound super exciting to us over here. Will pop it on in the background later to see how cringey it really was in accordance with the complainers over on MacRumours :D

Back
Top Bottom