Poll: Who is the best overseas player in Premier League history?

Who is the best overseas player in PL history?

• Suarez

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Going to throw Zola and Bergkamp into the mix. In fairness, I wouldn't say either were in fact the greatest, but they were both pioneers who changed the way people viewed the league. I still don't think I've ever seen a footballer as technical as Bergkamp.

Soldato
Yes Ronaldo was no where near the best player in the league during the years he spent at Utd, what he went on to achieve at RM is irrelevant as it's the best Premier League player not the best player who once played in the Premier League for a bit.

I would say Henry or Schmeichel but Bergkamp is a good shout as he brought on a new wave of professionalism with him.

Caporegime
Aguero's scoring record is mightily impressive.

TBH it's easy to just think about strikers and overlook other positions but I think Vidic was one of the best CB's in PL history, Kompany for City as well when he wasn't injured.

Soldato
I still think that its Ronaldo given he won a CL and EPL double while at Utd which has to be taken into consideration.

From a technical aspect I adore Bergkamp and if he had been in his pomp 8 - 10 years later, I would probably vote for him over Ronaldo just because I think the EPL had moved on so much in the intervening time and from a personal level he dropped off considerably in the early 2000s

VDS is probably my favourite gk (even while he was at Fulham) absolutely outstanding.....DDG has been let down too many times by those infront of him ...midfields always make me think of Viera / Keane coming togethers two brothers from another mother as it were - so miss those explosive coming togethers that so rarely happen these days.

Where ever he played I will also always had a soft spot for Sherringham , wonderful to watch every time.

Don
There's some shocking suggestions in this thread. I should have left it in the banter thread.

If you're talking about who was the best over a long period then it's Henry but there's been at least a few that had single seasons at a higher level than he ever reached.

Soldato
Doesn’t help that he was a thug who took delight in setting out to injure people.

Sportsmanship and respect comes into it too.

Ask an Irish fella about Henry.

Does winning loads of trophies constitute being the 'best'? No, you're just part of the best team.

To an extent...however United havent had a better midfielder since and that speaks volumes.

Back
Top Bottom