Mac Mini + eGPU = gaming?

Man of Honour
I'm looking for a new workstation that can also double up as a gaming machine with an eGPU. Would the Mac Mini be capable of this, either natively in macOS or bootcamp into Windows 10? It would need to support my Logitech wheel and be used for racing sims.

Soldato
Man of Honour
OP
Hmm odd. I take it you followed all the guides about getting the eGPU to work? As I believe it’s not supported officially and there’s a workaround.

Soldato
Well, I think I've gotten everything set up and it seems to work in the most part!

Project Cars 2 with my Fanatec pedals and T500RS wheel works great. I get the same performance as before (overclocked Ryzen 1600, 16GB) and my wheel and pedals are found and work without an issue which I'm extremely happy about as this is my primary game.

Apex Legends is a bit hit and miss, I seem to get rubbish performance compared to Project Cars 2 and I'm not really sure why. Perhaps driver related?

Setting everything up was fairly simple. Uninstalled all AMD drivers in safe mode in Windows and installed the latest AMD drivers from the Bootcamp website.

My Vega 64 was found perfectly

Soldato
Still running well James? Finding any issues/limitations in either MacOS or Bootcamp?

I see Radeon 7 is working in 10.14.5 Mojave Beta ;)

Not so far! The only game I am still having issues with is Apex Legends but I'm not sure if that is a game issue or performance one.

I'm hoping is just continues to get better. I plan on trying some new games and stuff soon but I've only got the 512GB drive ideally wanted to run my steam games off an external drive.

Will report back if I have any issues.

Soldato
@JamesM - any further updates on your experience with the mini?

Haven't got a mini, using a 15" MacBook Pro - 6 core, 16GB and 512GB.

Still no issues and all working ok. Don't regret selling my gaming machine and heading down this path, it's been perfect for what I wanted which was MacOS for work and Windows for the odd game.

Toying with upgrading my Vega 64 to the 5700XT but for the amount of gaming I do it's probably not worth it plus I'd need to wait for driver support.

Back
Top Bottom