Cost of watercooling.

Associate
OP
You can watercool PSU's now, what is the world coming to, but yeah i really do only need 6 comp fitting and tube, i already went mad on the Member market and bought a ship ton of things already lol

edit* hmmmm but some 90. fittings would make it look a lot better

And so it begins...

90s are a huge help, even with flex tube they make things much easier and help to prevent kinking or awkward runs.

Soldato
For reference I built a 'budget loop' with the cheapest EK CPU block (£35), 2nd hand GPU block (£60), cheapest rads available (£20 + £40), straight barbs (£40), no drain port or anything. I was gonna use a mixture of fans I already had but they weren't good enough so bought eight Arctic Cooling F12s (£24). Sorta splurged on Mayhems pastel (£10) and Primochill LRT tubing (£15), and properly splurged on a D5 pump res combo (£110). It was surprising the total was still £354 which was more than the GTX 780 + 2500K I was cooling with them.

However, watercooling adds significant inertia to my build which prevents any impulse upgrades cause blocks cost so much and require a few hours to install. I haven't changed anything major in 2.5 years and I still can't be arsed with anything new.

Associate
OP
How'd you know I had a block coming?:rolleyes:
.... and what thermal pads would one recommend?

I read the radeon VII thread as well, I was hoping it would be my next card.
I don't know about which pads but from what I gather the included ones are generally bargain basement so something like thermal grizzly pads would be an upgrade. With that said plenty of people use the included ones without issue, so if the family jewels are on the line using the stock pads might not be so bad. :o

I chose fujipolys because I wanted to have no regrets when trying to overclock or get cool temps. I picked the best I could afford with the assumption that it would get the heat into the loop and away from the card faster. I'm not left wondering if changing the pads will get me the last few points in a benchmark or a nice round number on my overclock. I say that because if I hadn't changed the pads I know I would be buyjng them now anyway to see if they made a difference. :rolleyes:

For reference I built a 'budget loop' with the cheapest EK CPU block (£35), 2nd hand GPU block (£60), cheapest rads available (£20 + £40), straight barbs (£40), no drain port or anything. I was gonna use a mixture of fans I already had but they weren't good enough so bought eight Arctic Cooling F12s (£24). Sorta splurged on Mayhems pastel (£10) and Primochill LRT tubing (£15), and properly splurged on a D5 pump res combo (£110). It was surprising the total was still £354 which was more than the GTX 780 + 2500K I was cooling with them.

However, watercooling adds significant inertia to my build which prevents any impulse upgrades cause blocks cost so much and require a few hours to install. I haven't changed anything major in 2.5 years and I still can't be arsed with anything new.

That last bit is part of the reason why I'm not dissapointed with how much the loop has cost. I feel like the investment is letting me get the best of my current components and giving me a reason to keep them longer than I otherwise would. Sure rads and fittings can be reused, but like you say, blocks aren't cheap so I will be putting off the next upgrade for a while.

Back
Top Bottom