Worst auto gearboxes on new modern cars

Man of Honour
Though I think it shares more underneath with the 370Z than the GTR the auto on my Navara (3L V6) is reasonably smooth and responsive - no 1-2 second lag pulling away from the lights or clunkiness. The only time I've noticed it struggling is when going up steep hills at around ~45mph or down long hills at ~30mph where it can't quite decide which gear it needs to be in if I'm trying to stick to the speed limit - fine if I go a little faster :|

I'd imagine it's the same Jatco or very similar to the one in the 370Z, the 370Z and Q50 use the same auto box

Man of Honour
I'd imagine it's the same Jatco or very similar to the one in the 370Z, the 370Z and Q50 use the same auto box

Yeah I don't know but the profile feels more like it was designed for something like the 370Z - if you drive quite "briskly" it seems to perform a lot better but that isn't a great idea in a 2 ton pickup hah.

Soldato
Throwing the Merc 7G gearbox in to the 'worst gearbox' bucket. Gearshifts are slow, response is slow, everything is just slow. Trying to set off smoothly is near impossible sometimes as it takes so long to respond, you end up putting more throttle on then it eventually responds and sends you off like you've put your foot to the floor. Mine is also sticking in 2nd and 3rd gears now when having a spirited run in manual mode.

CVT in my wife's Infiniti QX60 is alright, it does judder every now and again though which it's already been in to have fixed as part of a recall. They upped the warranty by another 5-7 years too so can't complain.
This, terrible Merc gearbox.

My WRX CVT wasn't bad at all

Associate
I have recently got a 2014 Honda CR-V Auto, even though is 5 speed it is very smooth and with Sport option and paddles which can be used in Drive or Sport mode which gives me more control

Soldato
The CVT I had in my A6 was actually really smooth and relaxing to drive, albeit very unreliable.

The CVT in my Caliber is a strong candidate for the worst gearbox I've ever driven: it has a horrible dead zone from a standing start, I'd estimate that 0-20MPH it's slower than anything else I've driven, despite having 180BHP. It's also complete luck as to whether it will actually accelerate properly when you put your foot to the floor: sometimes it will genuinely surprise me by how quick it is, other times it'll struggle for no apparent reason. So far it has been totally reliable despite getting constant abuse every day, so I can't complain too much I guess. I'd be terminally miserable if it was the only car I owned though.

Soldato
Daf 44 variomatic has got to be up there with the worst. The only interesting thing was you could drive it backwards as fast as you could forwards, but can't see any fun in going in either direction.
Apparently in Dutchland there is a world championship in reverse driving but the Daf's had to be placed in a separate category because not other car could keep up with them...

Last edited:
Soldato
The CVT I had in my A6 was actually really smooth and relaxing to drive, albeit very unreliable.

The CVT in my Caliber is a strong candidate for the worst gearbox I've ever driven: it has a horrible dead zone from a standing start, I'd estimate that 0-20MPH it's slower than anything else I've driven, despite having 180BHP. It's also complete luck as to whether it will actually accelerate properly when you put your foot to the floor: sometimes it will genuinely surprise me by how quick it is, other times it'll struggle for no apparent reason. So far it has been totally reliable despite getting constant abuse every day, so I can't complain too much I guess. I'd be terminally miserable if it was the only car I owned though.

You own the most miserable car on the planet, this can't come as a surprise :p

Soldato
You own the most miserable car on the planet, this can't come as a surprise :p

If you think that’s the most miserable car on the planet, you’ve obviously never had the pleasure of working your way through the “economy” Mexican rental fleet :p

Bar the gearbox, it’s no worse than any other 1k shed really: I've found that sitting in traffic on the way to work for an hour in a Range Rover is just the same as doing it in the Caliber, only it costs me double the fuel. So unless I go back to working from home, the wonderful CVT will remain a part of my life for the foreseeable.

Associate
The most frustrating one for me is the ZF 8 speed in JLR products.

It's frustrating because we know how good the 8 speed can be ie BMW... but somehow JLR cars just don't get it quite right, massive delays on kick downs and pullaways and jerky slow shifts in the lower gears.

Permabanned
drove a hyundai genesis for a few days, and it was smooth and responsive.
still not sure if it was a tork convertor or a dual clutch

Soldato
everyone has different expectations and a different idea of what is terrible, acceptable, or good
I have a bit more sympathy now, for the poor b***** pulling out at junctions now, at the mercy of their auto-box (and the stop-start too),
is there a hidden insurance premium for them ?

was this, in fact, HRH's problem when he pulled out.

Soldato
The most frustrating one for me is the ZF 8 speed in JLR products.

It's frustrating because we know how good the 8 speed can be ie BMW... but somehow JLR cars just don't get it quite right, massive delays on kick downs and pullaways and jerky slow shifts in the lower gears.

I think the ZF is great in the 3.0l engine cars, the problem IMO arises when its mated to the 2.0l cars Ive found, it always seems to be hunting for the right gear etc. Delays on pull aways happen on BMWs too, it certainly did on my 640d in fact Im almost certain it happens on diesel autos as it doesnt seem to happen on the petrol auto I currently have

Caporegime
Both our JLR ZF 9 speeds are great, we get no hunting for gears etc, however two issues, 1. when pulling away the car can sometimes decide to drop into 1st instead of setting off in 2nd which causes a delay, 2. distinct gear difference when the box is changing between shafts (happens on two changes).

Soldato
Throwing the Merc 7G gearbox in to the 'worst gearbox' bucket. Gearshifts are slow, response is slow, everything is just slow. Trying to set off smoothly is near impossible sometimes as it takes so long to respond, you end up putting more throttle on then it eventually responds and sends you off like you've put your foot to the floor. Mine is also sticking in 2nd and 3rd gears now when having a spirited run in manual mode.

Which version?

Sounds like it needs a new TCU - you can get them reconditioned fitted for around £250-300. The 7G in my CLK350 (2008) was doing the same thing and needed turning off and on again to fix it temporarily. It only got worse once it started it happening. Mine was smooth as after I got it replaced with a transmission oil change, much nicer than the EAT6 I've got in the new Citroen C3, but that could be the engine rather than the gearbox.

I always found S mode better (smoother, better throttle response) than C mode too.

Soldato
Which version?

Sounds like it needs a new TCU - you can get them reconditioned fitted for around £250-300. The 7G in my CLK350 (2008) was doing the same thing and needed turning off and on again to fix it temporarily. It only got worse once it started it happening. Mine was smooth as after that, much nicer than the EAT6 I've got in the new Citroen C3, but that could be the engine rather than the gearbox.
Not sure which version. 722.9 (?). It's in a 2012 CLS550. You are probably right about the TCU update. The car hasn't ever had the maps updated, which I was told was free for the first 3 years, so I guess it hasn't had any TCU updates or anything like that either.

Back
Top Bottom