UK made cars or parts made in UK?

Soldato
Ok, so kind of an odd thread.

My uncle who has just sold his business and is now pretty well off has offered to buy my mum a brand new car. She was reluctant at first but my uncle was quite insistent (she takes care of my 96 year old grandma who is in a care home here but my uncle lives several hours away so doesn't get down too often so it would genuinely make him happy to help my mum - brand new car is a requirement). She currently drives a Daihatsu Terios Kiri circa 08/09 which she has had from new and has loved it but it is getting old and isn't that economical, plus we have just moved so its an hour round journey to and from my grandma's care home which she does at least 5 times a week. One of the things she likes about her current car is that she is high up.

One stipulation my uncle gave is that the car has to either be manufactured in the UK OR have parts made in the UK, the Brexit issue affected his business just before he sold it and as such he wants to support UK businesses. Understandable but a bit restrictive, still workable though. Another stipulation my mum has imposed on herself is that the car can't cost over £30k even though my uncle would happily spend more (I tried to convince he to look at a Jaguar E-Pace but she wasn't having it :p).

My general question is are there any cars I haven't considered, she doesn't know anything about cars so has left it up to me to my find suitable cars to test drive. We have test drover the Nissan Juke and Quashqai. I'm not a fan of the Juke but thought the Quashqai was quite nice. I only recently discovered that Ford make engines in the UK so they are on the table, we have test drives booked for Monday in the Ecosport and the new Ford Focus, I did try to get her in a Kuga but she felt it was too big for her, the Quashqai is just about on her limit for size. Although the focus isn't an SUV I convinced my mum to try it as its decently priced, even top of the range and that she owned very small cars before (prior to her current was a Daihatsu Cuore which was tiny) and may just need to get used to them. I will also take her to a Toyota dealership to have a sit in the new Corolla as they are manufactured in the UK. But if she doesn't get on with the Focus due to being lower i'm pretty sure that will eliminate all hatchbacks.

I know the Honda CR-V is made in the UK (although think this may be ending soon) so will try and get her over to a Honda Dealership to try one but are there any other SUV type vehicles that are also UK made or have UK parts in them that I haven't found?

Don't worry if not as I have looked fairly extensively but any other's appreciated.

Cheers.

Soldato
OP

Under £30k brand new?

Thing is, "parts made in the UK" is too vague, and doesnt have a de-minimis (e.g. if a single nut or bolt is UK made, does that count?).

For UK assembled cars have a look at this map: https://europe.autonews.com/article/20140519/ANE/140429957/interactive-european-assembly-plant-map

ps. people think Ford still build here, but it's only engines now.

That map is really helpful, thank you. It needs to be a significant part really so nuts and bolts won't cut it. Ford are acceptable due to the engines being manufactured here but I only found that out after extensively searching, most google searches seem to just come up with cars completely built in the UK so was hoping for another lucky find like Ford.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Honda only comes to mind but so what if the parts/car made here? The £ the company makes is not staying in the UK - it's a Japanese company. Also, aren't they pulling out of the UK? (not 100% sure on this, at least they're considering it post-brexit). CR-V I'm thinking will be too big.
Brexit damaged his business yet has put a requirement on the car being bought that it must be at least part British (parts or car). Is he a Brexit voter who shot himself in the foot or something with his vote?
Personally, I think Mazda make some great looking cars atm with quality interiors too. Nothing to do with British parts but sod that, buy something decent . CX-3 comes to mind as possibly being suitable for mum, a small SUV with prices starting under £20k. In soul red = gorgeous.
Would be better to just buy what mum wants to drive and own :).
The Terios was great btw in its time.
:)

Last edited:
Soldato
For Japanese cars it's a bit of a mix, some are made here but some are only made in Japan and shipped here. That goes for parts too. AFAIK Most Subarus are only made in Japan, Lexus are too I think. Nissan are also moving back to Japan now that tariffs have been dropped.

Many afterkarket parts are also made here and I doubt that will change any time soon.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mini, Honda, Nissan, Ford (engines only AFAIK), Vauxhall Astra & Toyota are the ones that spring to mind. A Civic diesel would be a good choice.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully she will like the Ford Focus she is test driving Monday and prefer it over the Ecoboost which I wasn't keen on but we will see. Aside from that the only other SUV option seems to be the Honda CR-V. The Quashqai was nice but I am not convinced by their reliability looking at several online surveys.

I also appreciate the comments regarding just buy what she wants and it would certainly make my job of finding a car for her easier but end of the day neither my mum or I are paying for it and its an incredibly generous offer despite the restrictions.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully she will like the Ford Focus she is test driving Monday and prefer it over the Ecoboost which I wasn't keen on but we will see. Aside from that the only other SUV option seems to be the Honda CR-V. The Quashqai was nice but I am not convinced by their reliability looking at several online surveys.

I also appreciate the comments regarding just buy what she wants and it would certainly make my job of finding a car for her easier but end of the day neither my mum or I are paying for it and its an incredibly generous offer despite the restrictions.

I don't have huge experience with Nissans but I'm not hugely impressed with them, though my uncle has had a couple of the SUVs that have held up well my personal experience is a lot of things like the rubber in the doors, etc. after just a couple of years are in worse condition than 10+ year old VWs and all of the Nissan SUVs I've ridden in have had horrific body roll.

Soldato
I liked Nissan back in the 90s when they made totally bomb proof, but also really good stuff like the Skyline and 200zx. Apart from the 370z and GTR they are a bit crappy now.

Back
Top Bottom