Road Cycling

Soldato
So, who else here is doing the Birmingham/W Midlands Velo next week? I'm in purple 2 phase - absolute dead last group to be released from the starting pens. :rolleyes::(

I'm in Red 1 (cycling for QEHB Charity). I'll need the head start!

EDIT: I'm guessing OcUK beers before the event when we collect our rider packs is not a great idea?

Soldato
29/04/19 - Spin class at the gym pre-nights
30/04/19 - Virtual cycling post nights (spin class on a big screen)
01/05/19 - Virtual cycling post nights
02/05/19 - ?Virtual cycling ?rest
03/05/19 - 70 mile ride
04/05/19 - 25 mile ride
05/05/19 - Wedding
06/05/19 - 35 mile ride
07/05/19 - Spin class/wattbike
08/09/19 - Spin class/wattbike (perhaps an evening ride weather and work schedule depending)
09/05/19 - 11/05/19 - Rest and eat
12/05/19 - VELO

Panic training works only to a degree, so don't expect miracles. It's possible a fair bit of this training won't actually be 'baked in' by the time you come to the Velo - but still, do what you can to get your body accustomed to the stresses of a long ride.

The most important bit of your schedule here is this bit:

If you don't rest you're going to be going into the Velo with a lot of fatigue in the legs. I'd personally train as hard as humanly possible, given the wedding, and even knowing some of it won't/might not even get baked in, make the 8th May the last day of training to really be sure of getting fresh legs. Don't eat any crap for the 2 or 3 days up to the Velo - eat good food, sleep lots, take on protein, do some stretches/yoga.

It's hard to advise on how much water to take as everyone is different. There's plenty of stops so maybe you could factor that it. I'll likely have 3 or 4 gels on me plus easy to eat on the bike type snacks, I don't tend to rely on feed station food as a lot of it I just don't like. I'd take two inner tubes, levers, decent multi-tool, pump or CO2. I tend to prefer a saddle bag than a rucksack but then I don't take spare clothes out - just tubes/co2/tools, food I carry in my jersey pockets. Rucksacks make me sweat.

Soldato
Spin class done. I wasn't the most energetic, not surprising after a 3.5 hour cycle yesterday, but I managed it and then some foam roller action.

@#Chri5# Thanks for the tips, the saddle bag looks great and is about £10 cheaper than an equivalent one that I looked at in Halfords. Will have a browse around.

Any other tips apart from prayer and/or funeral plans much appreciated! I'm planning to get on my bike a lot more this summer, so hopefully this will be the catalyst for some decent rides in 2019.

For longer rides, I pop a small top tube bag (link below) on my bike which lets you me a few more bars or gels without stuffing jersey pockets really full.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-energy-bag-1/

Have you ridden in groups on a club ride or sportive before? If not (apologies if you have), knowing a few of the "rules" can help, especially the hand signals. You can save a lot of energy in a group which can be a big help on a long ride (rather than battering away solo all day).

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/n...-Related-How-to-ride-in-a-group---Ridesmart-0
https://www.amershamrcc.com/club-ri...ish-cyclling-clubs-guide-to-riding-in-groups/

Soldato
Panic training works only to a degree, so don't expect miracles.

My goal is to get round! I think if I give up and rest until the event I'll not be up for it mentally. I will factor stopping at every feed/water station as I think my arse will need a rest!

I'll order some gels and electrolyte tabs to try out Friday/Saturday.

@#Chri5# thanks for the links. I've not ridden in groups much, so that's really useful. I'm hoping that I'll be able to save some energy on the day by being in a group.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Soldato
My very, very slow Dolan build continues and I need to sort out the brakes next. I've e-mailed Dolan but thought I'd ask in here as well...

t5cGU2Wl.jpg

As you can see, the cabling routing through the fork pops the hose out on the outside, yet the Tiagra caliper needs the hose inboard so it's going to need a kink/bend to get round. I'm wondering about sacking off the internal routing and using a couple of cable ties to go down the inside of the fork (allowing for the mudguards it'll be wearing). Any other suggestions?

Soldato
Hi everyone. Some advice please!

I've entered the Birmingham Velo on May 12th which is a 100 mile event. Training has been less than ideal, but I think I've got the legs to get round. It's not going to be fast, it's not going to be pretty, but I'll get round. I've managed to increase my mileage over the course of the last couple of weeks, although I've never ridden for this distance before. I don't think I'll be round in less than 8 hours including stops if I'm realistic.
Training prior to the event is going to be tough, I'm on nights this week and it's my brother's wedding this weekend. A recipe for disaster, but I've got a plan:

29/04/19 - Spin class at the gym pre-nights
30/04/19 - Virtual cycling post nights (spin class on a big screen)
01/05/19 - Virtual cycling post nights
02/05/19 - ?Virtual cycling ?rest
03/05/19 - 70 mile ride
04/05/19 - 25 mile ride
05/05/19 - Wedding
06/05/19 - 35 mile ride
07/05/19 - Spin class/wattbike
08/09/19 - Spin class/wattbike (perhaps an evening ride weather and work schedule depending)
12/05/19 - VELO

Comments welcome. The legs don't feel bad after yesterday's 50 mile ride. The arse and arms are a slightly different matter... any tips to help apart from more cycling? I've got padded shorts.

On the day I'm trying to remember that it isn't a race. I need to stop for food and water regularly. I probably need to stop briefly at every water/food station (there are 8). I'll not have my usual skiing/cycling rucksack with my camelbak in it, so I've got 2 bottle cages with litre bottles. Which electrolyte replacement is good? Any gels/food that I should bring or that you would recommend (my other half thought I might have a pannier with my sandwiches in it!)?

I'll be bringing a spare inner tube, I've got a small pump which I'll probably tape to my frame and some tyre levers and small allen key set. Any recommendations for a saddle bag and a cycling top with pockets? Currently it looks like fine weather, but I won't have any room for spare clothes. Any advice for this?

Sorry for all the questions, thank you for your help. Let me know if there's anything that I've missed. I'm getting my bike serviced tomorrow and will have a new chain and cassette.
As mentioned, you may actually compromise yourself by throwing in lots of late training - you'll be more fatigued and putting yourself under more stress to perform. So even if you pull off a great ride you may not enjoy it!

I'll go through what I used/took with me for a hilly 53 miles on Sunday. I was planning on around 3 hours out (taking it steady and riding with a friend) which actually turned out to be almost 4.5! Was not an issue for me - as although I've not done that many hills recently I have the fitness to ride them paced and with lots of recovery like that (without actually 'needing' to stop).

On bike/saddlebag - I'm carrying everything here I always do (even carry the same amount commuting as I cba to strip things as I then forget to re-add them!). I'll admit I carry too much for general riding/commuting, but it does mean I'm prepared for everything - 2 spare inner tubes. Set of tyre levers. Tyre patch. Combo pump. 1 co2 cartridge. Multitool. Chain tool. Spare battery for PWM. Bundle of cable ties. Wrap of electrical tape. Mini-pliers (has knife & scissors too). Spare 4-5 links of chain. 3 multilink/masterlinks for joining chain. Latex gloves. Various nuts/bolts/valve caps/valve core remover.

Ok I'll go through what I was carrying in my pockets this weekend just gone (so bear in mind this was cool temps, gusty winds with a chance of showers) -
  • Left rear is generally clothing - thinner/fingerless gloves if a cool start, toe covers, packable rain jacket. That's when I'm usually wearing a windproof/showerproof jersey, gilet and overshoes dressed for the cool start to the day (In the summer I'll be wearing knee warmers, arm warmers, ss jersey and gilet, while carrying light waterproof overshoes). So what I was carrying was to dress over what I'm wearing for heavy/constant rain protection while also having the space to strip down slightly if suddenly warmer than forecast.
  • Middle pocket is generally a paper copy of the route, along with some form of ID (usually photocopy of my Driving Licence as that also has home address on it), mobile phone with usually a face buff or something to pad the pocket and stop a phone shaped hot spot on my back. Cold/miserable weather this is a clothing overflow pocket.
  • Right hand pocket is for food and keys. I've found putting all the stuff that's generally loose together works best for me. Keys in the bottom so as I'm frequently using this pocket I can feel them/hear them. They also pad the bottom of the pocket so food is higher up and easier to grab. I'll try and organise my food right->left (outside of pocket to inside) so I'm not fumbling around too much trying to feel the shape of things. Choosing your food 'shapes' is an art form when it comes to eating while on the move in bad weather with winter gloves on!
My current food of choice is as natural as possible (NAKD bars) and I'll eat one every hour at least. If I'm not carrying anything else I'll take an extra 2 or 3. On the weekend I was carrying 6 (and only ate 3), as the 2 food stops both had flapjack and bananas. I'll take enough food so I don't have to rely on food stops to fuel me, but I'll intend for them to, while also only eating what I know is tried and tested - saving my own food for later on/when there are no other options. On longer centuries I'll also be carrying sweets (those haribo packets or jellybabies). For an early start where I've not had time for a large breakfast I'll carry something like museli/nutrigrain bar. Cliff bars are great, but expensive. I try to go as natural as possible as grains work well for me and have less stitches/stomach cramps/'after effects'. I will carry a gels or 2 for emergency 'get me home' situations but have increasingly found they cause me upsets 24/48h afterwards so will avoid at all costs (choosing to carry more other foods). :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers guys. The annoying thing is the second group had 5 icarus riders as they are all old. Still handy to have more bodies to wind folk up though.

My very, very slow Dolan build continues and I need to sort out the brakes next. I've e-mailed Dolan but thought I'd ask in here as well...

As you can see, the cabling routing through the fork pops the hose out on the outside, yet the Tiagra caliper needs the hose inboard so it's going to need a kink/bend to get round. I'm wondering about sacking off the internal routing and using a couple of cable ties to go down the inside of the fork (allowing for the mudguards it'll be wearing). Any other suggestions?

That is annoying! It would have worked fine with the old R785 calipers as they had a banjo fitting on the side of the caliper. I've never used anything that would help your situation tbh.

Soldato
Thanks @Roady, very useful insight! I'll have to see what gloves and weatherproof clothes I've got. I'll pack lots of energy bars/flapjack. While I didn't eat on the move when I did my 50 mile ride at the weekend, I didn't find that I got stomach cramps after eating small amounts. I'm glad I didn't sample the multiple food outlets that were out by the canal in Stratford after all!

I think I'll keep pushing myself, but I'll definitely drop the gym this Thursday, and the week of the event I might drop the gym altogether and aim for an evening ride instead weather and work depending. I'm most worried about the ride on Friday post nights, but this will be my only opportunity for a long ride I fear.

Soldato
As mentioned, you may actually compromise yourself by throwing in lots of late training - you'll be more fatigued and putting yourself under more stress to perform. So even if you pull off a great ride you may not enjoy it!
I have the same issue, I've probably been doing far too much the past few days as Strava has my fatigue level up at 90. With a 100 mile event coming up on the 12th and I'm thinking about lowering the intensity to reduce the fatigue.

Although I don't know how accurate that is.

Soldato
The cramps and stitches I'm mentioning are generally due to digestion - things hard for the system to digest when you're working hard riding. I find the same on the turbo, usually needing to eat a proper meal 30-45mins minimum before. I try to make it an hour and have found sometimes that can not be enough for something solid to digest. Someone more into their nutrition will be able to advise better and give the technicalities why! :D

Much of a longer ride is willpower. It sounds like you're focussed enough for that and it also sounds like you've got the fitness to do it. Time in the saddle there is little substitute for, it doesn't even have to be high training miles, but just having more time sat on the saddle/sit bones. It'll hurt like hell on the day afterwards, but willpower, nerves and excitement will carry you through. But they don't help much with sit bone/saddle pains - time in the saddle will just mean those pains come later, rather than earlier! Of course there are weird people who never experience any discomfort and can wear any type of shorts/pad without any issue. But they're the lucky ones, who we all hate! ;)

Thanks @Roady, very useful insight! I'll have to see what gloves and weatherproof clothes I've got. I'll pack lots of energy bars/flapjack. While I didn't eat on the move when I did my 50 mile ride at the weekend, I didn't find that I got stomach cramps after eating small amounts. I'm glad I didn't sample the multiple food outlets that were out by the canal in Stratford after all!
I'll always err on the side of caution when it comes to weather, generally dressing slightly 'warm'. It does mean sometimes carrying more kit than I'm wearing! I do tend to run slightly cool and don't suffer from overheating hands/feet. I'll use weather apps/forecast (wunderground!) the days before to have an idea of what to wear in my mind, then revise it the evening/morning of. I'll generally dress for wind temperatures, not ambient.

It's worth having a read over some of the 'Ridesmart' type articles on BC. There's some sportive ones too:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...03-Riding-your-first-sportive---Top-10-tips-0
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...repare-your-bike-for-a-sportive---Ridesmart-0
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/sportives/article/sp-Sportive-Tips---Be-prepared-on-the-day-0

Obviously you're a little short for some of the training preparation, but much of the rest can help you know what to expect. It helps to be as organised as possible the night/days before so there's far less stress (a good nights sleep before is important!).

My saddlebags are https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-caddy-saddle-bag-medium/rp-prod24784 - enough space for two tubes, a small pump, tyre levers, multi-tool, couple of quid and some spare chain links.
The Topeak Wedge Medium are a good cheap saddlebag too. Can regaulrly find them in deals for around £10. Loads of room.

Looking at the Halesowen CC Strava feed and not one person has uploaded a ride, so it's more than likely just jersey wearers (people seem to like the purple) rather than full on club members.
Was a guy and his son. Had a good chat with him on a hill after his son really showed me up smashing past me after I'd just done it to a few others. I laughed and then his father riding behind said saying something like 'he's got 30-40 years and at least 30-40kg on us!'. He was great, seemed quite a good rider but had a long day ahead of him chasing a light 14 year old who liked hills lol

Was another few from Stourbridge, like 3-4 of them in club kit. Didn't get a chance to chat to them and they didn't hang around afterwards.

For longer rides, I pop a small top tube bag (link below) on my bike which lets you me a few more bars or gels without stuffing jersey pockets really full.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-energy-bag-1/
That's a good shout, I've also got one of those but not used it for a couple of years. Great little bag!

Although if you're using phone for navigation and want it visible you can get top tube bags with a phone pocket in the top. Well worth getting if you don't use a dedicated head unit.

If you're after a phone bar mount then I love my Quadlock and use it occasionally when out on the roads (it normally spends its life on the turbo). :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Was a guy and his son. Had a good chat with him on a hill after his son really showed me up smashing past me after I'd just done it to a few others. I laughed and then his father riding behind said saying something like 'he's got 30-40 years and at least 30-40kg on us!'. He was great, seemed quite a good rider but had a long day ahead of him chasing a light 14 year old who liked hills lol

That profile could be any of a fair few of people I know - there's a lot of Dads and Sons and Dad's and daughters at the club (me included, 2 girls). It does get to a point where the Dads simply can't keep up with the kids - that's not me quite yet, but, my time will come - my youngest daughter is only aged 9 and on track (too young to be out on the roads imo) she's quite capable of holding 18 mph for 5 miles!

I'm feeling stronger this Springtime than last so I'm really looking forward to the Spring/Summer riding season, starting off with the Velo. Never done 100 miles before - only ever done 74 or so, not quite sure what to expect from the extra miles. Fortunately it's not a particularly lumpy 100. I just hope it's not a windy day, here's the difference between a windy day and a still day in the Midlands:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2303808176 No wind

https://www.strava.com/activities/2292454396 Maximum wind

I can deal with a bit of the wet stuff, no problem, but the wind really can ruin a ride.

Soldato
Pro-tip: Never count down the miles at the end. The last 10/5 go extremely slowly and I've often found myself in excruciating plain from saddle sores/abused sit bones. You're also completely reliant on the map planner/routing softwares judge of the distance and neither are 100% accurate. Both of these are a lot easier if you roughly know landmarks and even better the start/finish location! Knowing the part of the route home is even better as you'll know the approx time/road conditions/directions and be on auto-pilot! Maybe even having the energy for a sprint finish! ;)

Soldato
We're having a terrible time in Mallorca ;)

Weather is pretty good and a solid 18 during the day. It even held up whilst doing the Lluc loop from Porto Pollenca today .

Cheers!

sGe8P8t.jpg

EORc5Du.jpg

Soldato
Pro-tip: Never count down the miles at the end. The last 10/5 go extremely slowly and I've often found myself in excruciating plain from saddle sores/abused sit bones. You're also completely reliant on the map planner/routing softwares judge of the distance and neither are 100% accurate. Both of these are a lot easier if you roughly know landmarks and even better the start/finish location! Knowing the part of the route home is even better as you'll know the approx time/road conditions/directions and be on auto-pilot! Maybe even having the energy for a sprint finish! ;)

I once got home on 99.6 miles with my backside so sore that I didn't even go round the block to tip over 100...

Soldato
[QUOTE="Jonny ///M, post: 32684415, member: 32683"

That is annoying! It would have worked fine with the old R785 calipers as they had a banjo fitting on the side of the caliper. I've never used anything that would help your situation tbh.[/QUOTE]

Dolan sent me a bike of a built bike - once done, the bend in the hose doesn't look like a huge kink.

WPWyHLrl.jpg

Soldato
We're having a terrible time in Mallorca ;)

Weather is pretty good and a solid 18 during the day. It even held up whilst doing the Lluc loop from Porto Pollenca today .

Cheers!

Nice. I was out there 3 weeks ago... Some very variable weather, never really warmer than 20C high. I ended up taking a gilet and arm warmers at least on every ride. This was the scene on Sa Batalla one of the days. Completely empty Repsol petrol station when we got to the top!

1l4QIzH.jpg

Back
Top Bottom