Road Cycling

Man of Honour
OP
My P2M uses Rotor 3D cranks that are HTII compatible. I *think* (but may be wrong) that P2M will require the older 5 arm Shimano cranks rather than the newer 4 arm ones, which seem to be incompatible with nearly all PMs.

Man of Honour
OP
Do you bother using a proper torque wrench to fit them, or do you just use a regular pedal wrench? I'm expecting my Vector S set in the post imminently, so I'm wondering whether it's worth picking up a big torque wrench and crow foot adapter.

You went for Vectors in the end? I thought you'd ordered a 4iiii?

Man of Honour
OP
I posted about this at the last minute in the old thread, so you probably missed it!

Probikekit couldn't assure me that the Precision would be delivered this side of never, so I had a quick flick around on ebay and came across a Vector S set on Buy It Now or Best Offer. I offered £330 plus £9 shipping and got it. Boom. They usually go for closer to £400, so that's a great deal. Add on a set of Look cleats for £10 and it comes in at the same price as the Precision.

It's only first edition Vector and only single sided, but you can upgrade it piece by piece if you want, and in any case the original Vector S set reviewed pretty well and has held up well, so I should be OK. The pods look daft, but what can you do.

Ah, awesome. If Vectors came with SPD cleat options I'd certainly have considered them myself :)

Man of Honour
OP
Were you not eating at all during the ride? :/ Don't think I've ridden fasted for more than 2-2.5hours.

There have been studies showing negligible difference between fat burn rates for fed state/fasted CV but I don't think they've looked in to the effects of fat adaption or fuel source adapation.

Yup, aside from some BCAAs at the start it was completely fasted. Tbh it's not something I plan to make a habit of and really it was just to fulfil a couple of aims:

1) See if I could do it :p
2) Kick-start my week given my utter laziness of late. I wanted to do something fairly quick where I'd suffer at the time but not be too badly affected on subsequent days.

My 'fasted' rides for the foreseeable will mostly involve me cycling up to 10 miles to work and then back home (4 miles) for lunch a few hours later. I'm not sure how good or bad that is but it feels like it kind of balances a good approach vs what is practical for me. Happy to be shot down /re that of course ;)

Oh yeah..I might get the odd ~25ish recovery spin in too.

I'll stick them on this evening (and change my cleats too) and get it all set up on the turbo. Fiddling around with my Garmin more than usual whilst on the road is a sure fire way to end up under a bus with a nice set of PM Pedals sticking out :p

Yeah...People joke about that but I've actually had a few close calls myself. The numbers are so hypnotising :eek: Turbo is definitely a good way to get used to it.

Yeah, I can't see a ride being anywhere near that length! Worst case take a small & light portable USB 2,000mah or so to charge it up.

The only benefit of having to plug in to upload rides is that I often forget to unplug and it gets charged in the process. Lights and other gadgets need charging semi-frequently so wouldn't be too difficult to establish a routine, regardless of which unit I end up with.

Buying an 810 with the 820 looming does seem a bit like old tech. Though I've been looking forward to a colour screen but can't actually justify any real need for it, except the price point.

Yeah, for very long rides I just take a portable battery but it's quite rare that I really need one. Useful to have the battery in case my phone gets used heavily in the evening too (boring youth hostels in the Lakes, I'm looking at you).

To be honest I'd seriously consider the 520 if you want a colour screen and BT upload but otherwise similar setup to your 500. A friend of mine has one and it's pretty nifty. The only real issue aside from the lack of touch screen is the limited storage for maps. You can easily cover your regular riding haunts and simply swap out the map files when you go further afield though.

...or just get a 1000 :p

edit: The Elemnt does intrigue me though. The display seems really crisp as madindehead has posted above.

Man of Honour
OP
That sounds perfectly fine to be honest. There's no immediate need to eat post exercise unless it's savagely intense and/or you've not eaten well prior.

I don't think I'd advocate such long rides fasted, though to some extent effort/exertion will come in to play but sooner or later you will hypo. Around 2-2.5 hours of a moderate intensity is ideal I find. A tough start with some steady progress in the middle and then ramp it up again towards the end so you're not a million miles from home if you do start to flag. I'd always take some food with me even on a fasted ride, so I hope you did the same :)

Regardless of if I plan to stop somewhere along the way you never know what could happen so having something can be a god send. On this basis I always keep some water and snacks in the car.

I cycle door to door but yeah...I did have several gels on me and was cycling a mostly familiar route so I had a good idea of where the shops were and such :)

This was very much a "stop myself from pushing too hard" ride, as evidenced by the power. I tried to stay at 160-200W (max) for the whole way...which really isn't much. I could tell when I was being lax about holding myself back as within 5 minutes or so I felt pretty dodgy. Quite interesting anyhow, reminded me of how I felt when I'd bonked before and towards the end of the 200 mile ride (constantly on the edge of bonking, finding the road moving past weirdly hypnotic and having to really put effort in to concentrate, etc).

Anyhow, fun ride...not one I'll repeat any time soon ;) The fasted riding to work and such will be enough for me to dip my toes for a bit. I want to make sure I get some simple carbs in in the evenings and at the weekends so I can push myself a bit more too. I'm not sure how pointless fasted work rides are if I'm also loading up on carbs for my more intense rides but I'm assuming that there's still some benefit.

It has world maps :eek: on it from the off :eek: (bar Russia & China which download once it recognises you're in the country).

I'll do some more reading. Madindehead, has/is turn-by-turn arrived/coming soon. (There's a sentence :p)

You can just use OSM maps with the Garmin (and I presume the Element?) so I wouldn't let maps make your decision for you. I'm not saying that the Element isn't a good choice for other reasons though.

Man of Honour
OP
Ah, that's kind of a shame /re maps. Probably not a big deal but as I've mentioned before, I feel a bit burned (on behalf of the friends I recommend it to) by the Mio debacle. It sounds like Wahoo are a million miles ahead of Mio though.

Man of Honour
OP
I have just got a Garmin 520 through our work fitness scheme, I already had a 1000 (got that last year through the scheme :) )

Battery is equally grim on both once all the sensors are switched on, the only thing that has helped is using GPS only (turning off GLONASS)

The Vivoactive, again through work scheme, beats them both for battery life and is good if you dont require maps, I always take the Vivo to the US so I can record my rides.

That seems a little OTT in terms of GPS devices :p

Back
Top Bottom