women drivers

Soldato
Guard a BMW ? -- You cannot be serious :eek:

I did sit in the cab of my van once watching a woman with a Vauxhall trying to find reverse - After 20 min I did get out and asked if she wanted help. You have to pull that little knob on gear stick up. She was so grateful - This was well before mobile phone days so she couldn't ring for help.

Now you would be accused of "mansplaining". So best to just leave them to it for the rest of the day :p

Caporegime
I think the problem for me is it’s quite difficult to tell that the engine is running, yes I could look at the rev counter but when fumbling around to exit I sometimes do forget. Should emphasis that this isn’t a regular thing but have done this I think twice to date, both occasions when I’ve arrived and parked up at the works car park.

Curious one, I know if you're vision impaired you have to inform the DVLA, do you have to do that if your hearing is also impaired?

Soldato
Women in general make crap drivers, you can't possibly dispute this.

I do however think the woman in the OP might have been driving someone else's car or something.

More than 11,900 male drivers died in U.S. traffic accidents in 2009, compared with just under 4,900 women drivers, according to a study by the InsuranceInstitute for Highway Safety. Based on miles traveled, men died at a rate of 2.5 deaths per 100 million miles traveled, vs. 1.7 deaths for women
Men vs. Women: Who Are Safer

This is a quick Google search I am totally willing to be proven wrong.. I though this would be correct however as women are generally quoted lower insurance premiums... Also anicidital evidence (worthless I know) I rarely seem a woman driving in a Manor I consider dangerous..

Soldato
More than 11,900 male drivers died in U.S. traffic accidents in 2009, compared with just under 4,900 women drivers, according to a study by the InsuranceInstitute for Highway Safety. Based on miles traveled, men died at a rate of 2.5 deaths per 100 million miles traveled, vs. 1.7 deaths for women

This is a quick Google search I am totally willing to be proven wrong.. I though this would be correct however as women are generally quoted lower insurance premiums... Also anicidital evidence (worthless I know) I rarely seem a woman driving in a Manor I consider dangerous..

Playing devils advocate here, because I try not to subscribe to the "woman = instant bad driver" theory, but he didn't say they were dangerous...he said they were crap. I've seen the same argument in young driver vs. elderly driver arguments, where someone will try to claim that the elderly are better drivers by presenting accident statistics proving that young males are statistically more dangerous and involved in more accidents.

However it misses the point, which is that when people talk about crap driving, they don't have to be referring to dangerous habits...there are plenty of driving traits that can be considered the mark of a "bad" driver, without necessarily being dangerous. Therefore the reasoning for these opinions tends to be from anecdotal experience.

Last edited:
Soldato

Much less women spend their work days travelling 100s of miles a day up and down the country. So yea.

It's like saying more men get killed in the army, so women must be better at it...

Soldato
If I'm doing 1000 miles a year just going to the shops and back I'm a lot less likely to have a fatal crash than doing 1000 miles at 70mph.

You're aware that the statistics are from the US, yes? Just checking because that feels like an opinion based on your experience in the UK. When I was in the US, even just "driving to the shops" would often mean driving much further than you would in the UK, not just pottering down the high street at 30mph.

Back
Top Bottom