Costs of owning an older 'supercar'

Soldato
That has zero benefit on the consumable costs.

I have an Audi warranty, I would NEVER run a supercar (sorry, TT) without one, it would be to be crazy. It is £1200 which is superb value I thought for such a car. To add many 3rd party warranties put ridiculous value limits on parts because they are built for mundane cars not ones with 10K parts.

Out of interest Housey do you know the prices/criteria for the Audi warranty? They don't have a quote thing online like BMW.

Associate
How many people on this forum do you think can afford £20k-£25K per year cost of ownership? Not a willy wave, but I think most people who are not doing this have little idea.

Depreciation £12K a year
Services £1K a year
Tyres £1K per year
Warranty £1.2K
Fuel £2.5K
Insurance £1K
Stuff

Add in things going wrong and other consumables (pads, set up etc). We are talking a different league in costs to a fast M car or 911 for example.
with the R8 out of the way. now show us the real eyewatering numbers of the polo gti ownership :o

Soldato
Ahh yes dont forget the "special" cars, man what id give for a widow maker! Would probably trade in the wife if that was an option :D Not sure on her trade in value mind.
That would be kind of ironic lol. I remember when I got my 996 turbo the gt3 was only 10 grand more:(. There's a decision I regret (although not sure how I'd be able to get the kids in the back).

Man of Honour
That would be kind of ironic lol. I remember when I got my 996 turbo the gt3 was only 10 grand more:(. There's a decision I regret (although not sure how I'd be able to get the kids in the back).

You would have to make that decision, the one where you walk outside and it's like, what do I drive today? With that car on the driveway the kids are left on the kerb every time :D

It's mad when you think about it, 10k more back then but 30k more now (I haven't checked the figures but this feels about right)... The OP should probably know though that the 996 bar the mezger engine cars are a very possible liability, i've spent so much on mine I wouldn't even want to get the receipts out to tally it up. Right now it needs an engine rebuild and for roughly half the cost of what that costs to do properly (with some choice upgrades) you can buy 2 of the car I bought to rock around in while I save the funds (56 plate mk2 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro) with a couple of grand change.

You see the thing is, at least for me, is that the 911 gets under your skin. Sure there are faster cars, more desirable cars, cars that are technically better in many, many ways but for me the 911 is always that car I can't stop thinking about and never really get bored with, be that an old car, 964, 993, 996, 997... It really doesn't matter. I just can't help but love them.

Soldato
You would have to make that decision, the one where you walk outside and it's like, what do I drive today? With that car on the driveway the kids are left on the kerb every time :D

It's mad when you think about it, 10k more back then but 30k more now (I haven't checked the figures but this feels about right)... The OP should probably know though that the 996 bar the mezger engine cars are a very possible liability, i've spent so much on mine I wouldn't even want to get the receipts out to tally it up. Right now it needs an engine rebuild and for roughly half the cost of what that costs to do properly (with some choice upgrades) you can buy 2 of the car I bought to rock around in while I save the funds (56 plate mk2 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro) with a couple of grand change.

You see the thing is, at least for me, is that the 911 gets under your skin. Sure there are faster cars, more desirable cars, cars that are technically better in many, many ways but for me the 911 is always that car I can't stop thinking about and never really get bored with, be that an old car, 964, 993, 996, 997... It really doesn't matter. I just can't help but love them.
I did read about somebody that converted a GT3 to a 2+2:D, but not till after i'd bought my car:mad:. They are fantastic to drive, and especially the turbo is so quick, moving to my e92 M3 felt like a step down in terms of pretty much everything apart from practicality. The only thing is i seem to remember GT cars don't have any sort of underbody protection on them, so something to be wary off (i used mine as a daily). In terms of perforance and general handling, for the cost i don't think many things touch a 911 (especially a 996 on the cost side). Having said that i wouldn't mind a nice gallardo, but slightly different price bracket to a 996:p.

Soldato
Back in the day 911s were ahead of the competition. They were cheaper and better built. I'd much rather run a 996 every day than a Ferrari of that age :p

Last edited:
Soldato
The turbo was never affected by IMS issues, the engine that does is the m96 which is in all 986 and 996 cars bar the turbo. The turbo runs a mezger engine which is basically indestructible.

A full turbo refurbishment would seem to come out at about the same price as a M96/7 rebuild anyway! They don’t score the bores or bend the valves but can still produce eye watering bills!

Man of Honour
A full turbo refurbishment would seem to come out at about the same price as a M96/7 rebuild anyway! They don’t score the bores or bend the valves but can still produce eye watering bills!

All very valid points, I just think that the Turbo cars will take a bit more abuse and probably last a bit longer than the m96/7 lump. They are just more hardy! Don't get me wrong they still absolutely can and will eventually empty even a deep wallet :)

Soldato
A turbo won't last as long as the engine though. Just got to hope it doesn't go with a bang and destroy other stuff as well :D

Soldato
Depreciation £12K a year
Services £1K a year
Tyres £1K per year
Warranty £1.2K
Fuel £2.5K
Insurance £1K
Stuff

Add in things going wrong and other consumables (pads, set up etc). We are talking a different league in costs to a fast M car or 911 for example.

Seems ok considering the mileage you're doing.

A Golf R or Hyper Hatch will probably depreciate in a similar way for the first 2years (Vs 3) anyway.

I did see a nice R8 V10 manual a few months back at RE Performance, which look tempting around £48k, with the Mag dampers replaced and plenty of tasty bits/re-map.

But I'd want a decent warranty so would probably stick with more expensive Audi Dealer cars.

Porsche 2yr AUC warranty is a nice draw, similar with BMW (via a haggle). Current fun 2nd car heirachy:

Cheapest - Used M2
Middle ground - Used 981 Cayman S
What are you thinking! - 991 just bcos :p

Soldato
I think if you don't own anything too exotic it's fairly reasonable for an older 'supercar' especially if it's been decently looked after. I keep a bucket with 10-15k aside for stuff that might go wrong. Granted, if it's a gearbox or engine then that's bad luck but a warranty here wouldn't cover that expense anyway.

General consumables on an R8 are reasonable I've found, as are the services. On the R8 i expected an oil change to be far more given all the drain plugs and labour but it was about <500. I've paid for a couple of corroded hoses too which were about 1500 with labour. Things like brakes are also reasonable if they are steel at around 2k a set and I'd probably fit those myself. The mag shocks can also be rebuilt too these days for less than 500 a corner.

I imagine a fair few people will have these types of cars in a company structure too of some sort (myself included) so any associated costs including depreciation have the sting taken out of them considerably.

Back
Top Bottom