Want to build my own, but unsure on parts needed

Associate
Hi,

I'm new to building my own PC, but have always been a bit of a PC gamer. However i am tired of trying to get games to run on my laptop! So want to have a go at making a decent gaming PC.

I understand the basics, but struggle with configuring certain components against each other. Also since the introduction of multi core CPU's I sometimes struggle to understand which are the most powerful.

Anyway there is a specific game I am trying to play on my current machine which is struggling. So my minimum benchmark would be something capable of this game. The game requirements are this:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz / AMD FX-8300
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 270X or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
  • System Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Storage: 4 GB Hard drive space
I understand what those components are, but can anyone recommend a motherboard to connect them all to?
Also, in gaming terms, are they fairly basic components? Would I need something much better to make it reasonably future proof?

In addition to this, I also like to play retro games through Dosbox. I have those old games on floppy discs, which I currently use through a USB Floppy Drive. I would like an internal floppy on my new machine. Do they still make motherboards with built in Floppy support?

Soldato
I'd suggest that the best place to start is by giving us a budget - then it's a case of identifying which components you already have (if any) so we can work that into your budget!

For example, if you are starting completely from new you are going to need a keyboard, mouse, monitor and operating system, so it's not just a case of putting together the physical parts in the machine itself!

Associate
OP
I'd suggest that the best place to start is by giving us a budget - then it's a case of identifying which components you already have (if any) so we can work that into your budget!

For example, if you are starting completely from new you are going to need a keyboard, mouse, monitor and operating system, so it's not just a case of putting together the physical parts in the machine itself!

Budget - I would be looking at around £800.

I have no components at the moment, so this is for everything

Soldato
Might be wrong but I think the external USB floppy drives were/are faster than the old internal ones, which you might be hard pressed to find these days. Plus I wonder if it isn't time to find a way to transfer those games you're fond of to another medium.

The i5-4460 and 270X/760 are outdated. You'll be able to do a bit better with that budget, especially if you avoid paying full retail price for Windows 10, and read up on downloading the OS from Microsoft onto 8GB+ USB drive and then purchasing a cheap key.

Associate
OP
Might be wrong but I think the external USB floppy drives were/are faster than the old internal ones, which you might be hard pressed to find these days. Plus I wonder if it isn't time to find a way to transfer those games you're fond of to another medium.

The i5-4460 and 270X/760 are outdated. You'll be able to do a bit better with that budget, especially if you avoid paying full retail price for Windows 10, and read up on downloading the OS from Microsoft onto 8GB+ USB drive and then purchasing a cheap key.

Thanks, I know I can probably download most of those old games from abandonware, but I kinda like using the old tech to load them!

Useful advice re Windows 10

Soldato
Floppy controller plugs into any computer's USB port and enables you to attach a 5.25" floppy drive

http://www.deviceside.com/fc5025.html

Couldn't you use this - and then route the cable internally and install the drive in a front bay in your case? :) :)

mm....or get a usb one and route the cable internally (maybe extension lead)...and place it in the front drive bay on a case.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I know I can probably download most of those old games from abandonware, but I kinda like using the old tech to load them!

Fair enough. Retro has its appeal. :)

Find yourself a case with a 5.25" optical bay (don't restrict yourself to very limited choices with a 3.5" floppy/HDD bay) and you can always use a 5.25"-to-3.5" converter for a few quid if you get your hands on an internal floppy drive.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

You'll need a PSU that still has a floppy connector (some don't now but many still do).

And this:

Duttek (2-Pack) 10CM USB 2.0 Type A Female to Dupont 9 Pin Female Header Motherboard Cable Cord (AF/9Pin 0.1M)

And this:

USB Cable to 34 PIN 34P Floppy Interface Adapter PCB Converter Board Driver Board

Along with the internal floppy disc drive such as:

3.5 "Floppy Drives Samsung SFD-321B Floppy Disk Drive Internal 1.44mo Black

or

ALPS Electric 'Floppy Drives Alps Floppy Disk Drive 06p5226 76H4091 3.5 Internal 1.44mo

Just saw that VortexA1 posted something similar (though for 5.25" floppies). The Duttek adapter cable will help route it all internally.

Last edited:
Soldato
Possible issue is whether that PCB adapter requires its own power separate to the floppy drive, or if it can power the drive at the same time (doubtful). So better add another cable to the list:

Cable-Tex Molex to 2 x Floppy Drive FDD Power Splitter Cable

Good thing is you don't have to worry about a PSU with a FDD connector anymore.

Associate
OP
Thinking about the Floppy, I'll just keep my existing USB floppy drive.

As for the rest of the spec, how does this look?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage: Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Toshiba - P300 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card

Case: NOX - Coolbay SX Blue Edition ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Cooler Master - MWE 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Pioneer - BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Soldato
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
You could get a 2600 for the same price/very similar to the 2400G - and would be preferable as you're getting a discrete GPU.

Ideally, 16GB if possible - and the MSI Tomahawk/Carbon would be better choice as you're getting a midi tower. Do you need WiFi?

What is your overall budget?

Are you Stateside? - looking at your component choice.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You could get a 2600 for the same price/very similar to the 2400G - and would be preferable as you're getting a discrete GPU.

Ideally, 16GB if possible - and the MSI Tomahawk/Carbon would be better choice as you're getting a midi tower. Do you need WiFi?

What is your overall budget?

Thanks, I will look at that.

Don't need WiFi as I have a wired connection

Overall budget is between £600 & £800 but I need to include a monitor in that

Associate
OP
Ok, so had a little go at reconfiguring, and come up with this:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage: Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Toshiba - P300 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card

Case: NOX - Coolbay SX Blue Edition ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Cooler Master - MWE 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Pioneer - BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

How does that now sound?

Soldato
Thanks, I will look at that.

Don't need WiFi as I have a wired connection

Overall budget is between £600 & £800 but I need to include a monitor in that

Just a guide - shop around. You would still need to add a monitor and optical drive.

You drop to a 240Gb SSD, but i would keep the quality PSU - also the RX 580 is very close in price to the 570 and comes with 2 free games which you could sell on to offset costs - the case is a place holder:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £716.05 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Soldato
If you're not going to fill up more than 1TB storage right away, recommend getting a 1TB SSD (Crucial MX500, WD Blue 3D NAND something like that). Can add more later. Small SSDs tend to become useless as time goes by and you upgrade, which is a pity as they tend to last a long time.

As far as monitor, the AOC 24V2Q might interest you. 1080p 75Hz IPS with Freesync, and not too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom