Water useage comparison

Associate
Just had a new bill from Severn Trent and my DD has increased again to £37. We are in a average 3 bed home and take showers and use washing machine most days once a day so standard useage. How does this compare with you all?

Here's my useage for the past 4 years and I can see it goes down considerably between Nov16 and May18 and then shoots straight back up to where it was before Nov16. The only thing I can think of is the wife bought one of these blow up hot tubs last year and we filled it twice. That still doesn't explain the useage drop that started in Nov16 though.

516pBzg.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Only thing I can think of is we changed the washing machine in May15 to an A++ one which would use a lot less water. I cannot think of anything that can account for the useage drop unless the water meter was running slow? When the payment went down to £8.71 a month I was thinking there must be something wrong.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
NBRRQHr.png

Whole year for me, Nov 17 thru Nov 18, almost identical volume usage to you (you used 105, vs my 109).

This is with Thames Water

Associate
Thanks christ you dont live down south west, we're being screwed!
We pay £44 a month, 3 bed house, showers, usual stuff.

Average yearly water bills by company:
  1. South West Water: £943
  2. Wessex Water: £728
  3. Southern Water: £673
  4. United Utilities: £652
  5. Dwr Cymru Welsh Water: £636
  6. Anglian Water: £619
  7. Scottish Water: £600
  8. Northern Ireland Water: £596
  9. Yorkshire Water: £562
  10. Northumberland Water: £539
  11. Severn Trent: £502
  12. Thames Water: £440
Data compiled by Freeflush

Caporegime
£251.64 - a year for water

£291.72 - a year for waste water (sewerage)

this is for unlimited water because no meters in Scotland.

my usage is quite frivolous because it's unlimited. I will wash both cars every other week in summer and use a pressure washer and a hose as well as buckets. water the garden / plants regularly too in summer. the wife will also have baths several times a week. i've yet to have one but keep on saying i will want to see if epsom salts help with tight calves, etc.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
£251.64 - a year for water

£291.72 - a year for waste water (sewerage)

this is for unlimited water because no meters in Scotland.
You make this sound like a good thing. On a Thames Water meter i can assure you that to try and get my bill as high as £543/year would take one hell of a doing. I am not sure that i could manage that even if i started a car washing business :p

Caporegime
You make this sound like a good thing. On a Thames Water meter i can assure you that to try and get my bill as high as £543/year would take one hell of a doing. I am not sure that i could manage that even if i started a car washing business :p

the difference being your water is literally sewage water. whereas Scotland has the cleanest drinking water in the world. it offsets the need to buy thousands of bottles of mineral water every year.

Soldato
Somewhere between a quarter and a third of the average households water use is toilet flushing. Anyone left the household during the lower usage period? Uni student? Booted the mother in law out and she's now returned? :D

The hot tub certainly won't help, jet wash? (I'm not suggesting you jet wash your wife, more do you use one a lot for cleaning paths/patios/cars) do you own a teenager who daydreams for an hour in the shower?

Soldato
The water in Durham / Sunderland is full of limescale and horrid, the water in Cheshire is miles better, so no that doesn't work.

:confused: my water doesn't have limescale!

the difference being your water is literally sewage water. whereas Scotland has the cleanest drinking water in the world. it offsets the need to buy thousands of bottles of mineral water every year.

I don't think I've ever read one of your posts, no matter what topic, where whatever you have/do/use isn't the best thing since sliced bread and anything else is terrible. If your water had given you cholera, you'd still be saying it's as pure as glacial ice harvested by Jean Claude Van Damme.

Associate
OP
Somewhere between a quarter and a third of the average households water use is toilet flushing. Anyone left the household during the lower usage period? Uni student? Booted the mother in law out and she's now returned? :D

The hot tub certainly won't help, jet wash? (I'm not suggesting you jet wash your wife, more do you use one a lot for cleaning paths/patios/cars) do you own a teenager who daydreams for an hour in the shower?

I got my own car in March 2018 and jet wash it occasionally about once a month. Jet wash the patio just once a year so nothing out of the ordinary.

Seems like the water useage has gone back to where it once was (and the cost) so just cannot explain the periods where it went down to just 13m3. I could phone up Severn Trent and query it but I don’t know what that would achieve.

Back
Top Bottom