Rice Cooker?

Associate
Definitely worth getting a rice cooker - measure portion out, add correct amount of water, turn on and forget. Will switch from cook mode to warming mode once the rice is finished.

Associate
I bought one from lidl a few weeks ago, it was £13, really good piece of kit, and worth the money imo.
As said you can also use it for other tasks, not just cooking rice, you can use it to steam pancakes for example.

Soldato
The fuzzy logic ones are awesome, my mate lives in aus with his Chinese wife and they have a few Asian brand models , put rice in before work, tell it what time you want it ready for , get home later than expected? No worries , rice will stay warm and good, no clumping , drying out or burning

Soldato
still in my basket from the last thread ~£30
I was looking at the Reishunger Rice Cooker, which is 1.2L. Ideally big enough for 3 or 4 portions but agree that most of the pressure cookers/multi cookers are huge for my needs. I hate taking up worktop space but I cook rice at least three times a week so it would need to be kept out.

how are you getting on with that ?

The fuzzy logic ones are awesome
these are still expensive ~£100 - no ? and I have yet to find a good explanation of what the AI/fuzzy-logic buys. ... just monitoring water vapour ?

...as we discussed in earlier thread, and others concurred, uwave ones are unpredictable

Soldato
how are you getting on with that ?

Went for a Panda Mini Fuzzy Logic Ceramic Rice Cooker for £80 and use it every other day. One of the best kitchen purchases I've made. Wash the rice, throw it in the cooker and walk away. Keeps warm for 12 hours so don't needto worry about when I need to start cooking.

Caporegime
Use one every time, sure you can use a pan but what is nice with the rice cooker is you set it and forget it while you get on with cooking the rest of the dinner.

Soldato
I have an instant pot for pressure cooking a wide variety of foods, including rice.

I love the fact that I can 'set it and forget it', as they say

Was going to recommend this. Literally use my pressure king pro for everything, it's amazing. It can cook rice in about 4 minutes but I've never bothered to use that function so no idea how it would compare to a traditional rice cooker or even a pan.
Have to admit, I've become a microwave rice convert. That Vetee basmati rice is just as good as the tilda stuff.

Soldato
A proper rice cooker, is a kichen appliance, where in addition to convenience, it begs the question of whether the taste/texture will give a new level ?
if many japanese folks have them, that must say something ... a toaster might be the european equivalent appliance.

our uwave'd (raw - LOL) rice, like, I suspect, pressure king in 4 minutes, usually overcooks/macerate it, loss of texture/bite; maybe I need to return to a recipe like this
https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to-cook-rice/
so a pre-soak, the lecreuset they use there, would definitely help it not to stick, and to finish up steaming too, with residual heat.

Soldato
Wash the rice really well.
Pan of boiling water little bit of salt in.
Add the rice, cook until it still has bite then drain.
Add more boiling water simmer for a minute or two turn off the heat and leave.
Drain and serve.

I only have that second step because i prefer the taste of jasmine rice but it can be too sticky.

I don't like the measure the water out method never works perfectly for me, i don't like overcooked rice either.

Soldato
OP
Got one and first attempt, rice was a little sticky but not sure if that was the rice I used or need to tweak the water measurements :D

It stir fried well.

I can see rice becoming a staple in this house :D

The best thing was, I did the batch at around 1pm, took out what I needed.

6pm, take it out, just like it had just been cooked :D

Soldato
me, i don't like overcooked rice either.

maybe I don't pay enough for rice too ... usually waitrose brown - regular(sic) or basmati at ~£1/kg
.. is it just the sweepings off the floor and lowest grade/grain-size, and cooks less cleanly/more stickily, than a more expensive tilda, .... ?

Back
Top Bottom