The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Caporegime
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will get the financial backing to bring success back to Manchester United, says executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward.

Phew. It's not as if the club have had hundreds of millions to 'bring success back'. More of the same if we are just going to rinse and repeat.

Man of Honour
So Man Utd undo all their good work in the window so far by giving Rashford a new contract worth £300k a week! £300k! Are they mad? What an absolutely pathetic decision. Rewarding mediocrity with stupid wages. The guy is barely better than average and you want to pay him that much a week? He's far too inconsistent, his finishing is Championship quality and his specialty is running with the ball very fast in to dead ends. Really don't get the hype, and haven't since that first season under LvG.

All they've done is create a rod for their own back. If Rashford is getting £300k a week, think what other players will be asking for come renewal time

Don
....Sanchez was on 500k+ a week. They just want views.
Tbf, in this case the reports on Sanchez's contract were backed up when Utd released their 3rd (and 4th) quarter accounts for that year. Despite no other noteable additions or contract renewals other than Sanchez and him only being at the club for just over 2 of the 3 months recorded, Utd's wagebill increased by £5.2m (£400k per week) from the 2nd to 3rd quarter. Once you factor in the saving on Mhkitarayan and Zlatan's wages, who both left in that period, it would certainly appear that Sanchez is costing Utd north of £500k per week.

Soldato
Tbf, in this case the reports on Sanchez's contract were backed up when Utd released their 3rd (and 4th) quarter accounts for that year. Despite no other noteable additions or contract renewals other than Sanchez and him only being at the club for just over 2 of the 3 months recorded, Utd's wagebill increased by £5.2m (£400k per week) from the 2nd to 3rd quarter. Once you factor in the saving on Mhkitarayan and Zlatan's wages, who both left in that period, it would certainly appear that Sanchez is costing Utd north of £500k per week.

you may well be right - but Utd are also stung with items like Rooney's wages for a significant time after he left and possibly others too

Some reports seemed to indicate we were still paying WR while he was in the MLS (yep , after the season at Everton) - nothing to back it up mind but there were reports floating around about the time he moved to the US.

Could we still be paying ADM in part - how useless he was for the most part / how he forced his way out I would hope not but with how stupid Sanchez's deal was - even if he had been a hit - I wouldn't be that surprised.

I don't care how much Rashford is on, or to a lesser extent Lingard, both being Mancunians and being United through and through Im delighted to have them both at the club and hope they are both here for years to come.
Rashford especially, simply because of his abundance of natural talent - he deserves a fully functioning defence and midfield behind him supplying him constantly. Hope he stays and plays for the next 10 years!!

Soldato
In pure financial sense you cannot argue with the Rashford deal. He isnt the finished article but has shown at club and international level that he is not out his depth. At 21 he should have years of improvement ahead of him.
How much would it cost United to sign a replacement world level striker? ie one that is guaranteed better. £100m 4 years wages at c£20m a year. Thats £180m less any possible resale which we would be stiffed on so say £50m, Thats £130m cash out over four years
If we are paying the lad £200k a week then thats c£10m year * 4 years = £40m. Arguably could sell him at 25yo for at least £50m. Netto +£10m.

Ok so its a contrived comparison but I think you get the picture. Good luck to the lad - he has always had a decent attitude.

icG

icG

Associate
However the development is not always assured. In my opinion Lukaku's first touch is bad (and don't think it will improve) and United also had Welbeck..
Same goes for Martial - I have faith in him and Rashford but they need to deliver sooner than later.

Soldato
However the development is not always assured. In my opinion Lukaku's first touch is bad (and don't think it will improve) and United also had Welbeck..
Same goes for Martial - I have faith in him and Rashford but they need to deliver sooner than later.

Not like Welbeck cost anything in transfers either - was an academy player that we got a decent price for
Was never one of my favourite players but was useful squad player

Got all the time in the world for Rashford, is always trying to do what each manager wants, and is progressing well - and will play through obvious pain (not always great when this might put him out for longer - but give credit for the "heart")
Martial could do a lot worse than looking at Rashford for someone to aspire to (albeit Rashford is a few years younger)

Back
Top Bottom