At what age should sex education be taught?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well my nephew is 13 and by all accounts its the rage for everyone to send out pictures butt naked of themselves, fair play to em nothing to be ashamed of so lets go with 12

Soldato
Unable to make a judgement or even have an opinion without knowing exactly what they are being taught.

Yes, and surely it's up to the experienced professionals within the education system to decide what should be taught and when. After all, parents don't decide when we should be teaching trigonometry or languages, so why get involved in this?

Caporegime
They're being taught that some people are boys, some people are girls. Some people aren't girls or boys. Some people who used to be girls might not be anymore and some people who were boys might not be any more.
Some girls love boys, some boys love girls. But some boys love boys and girls love girls.
Which will be fairly meaningless at that age.

Heck they don't even know the type of "love" that is being referred to. In fact describing it as "love" could well just confuse matters. "Daddy loves Mummy. And Daddy also loves you, and your brothers..." Awkward!

Also the people who are genuinely intersex are like 0.01% of the population. "Some people aren't boys or girls" is 99% of the time a total load of old horse. "Boys who mutilate themselves and end up committing suicide" doesn't quite have the same ring to it tho...

Caporegime
I don't think it matters what age. The education is likely to be incredibly biased anyway, with people pushing children in certain directions to suit their agenda.

Soldato
Which will be fairly meaningless at that age.

Well some is, some isn't. Learning that some men live with other men isn't learning anything inaccurate or confusing. But in that list is also "some boys are girls, some girls are boys" and that is. It's teaching gender conformity and that if a girl likes "boy" things, she's not a real girl. You should see some of the Mermaids presentations which are all pretty princesses at one end, GI Joe at the other and instructions that if you don't fit your stereotype you're "on the spectrum". It's damaging stuff. I know so many women who say that if the Trans lobby had been around when they were a young girl they'd have been picked up and diagnosed as "trans".

gender-normative.jpg

jack1.png

jack2.png

Soldato
OP
Well some is, some isn't. Learning that some men live with other men isn't learning anything inaccurate or confusing. But in that list is also "some boys are girls, some girls are boys" and that is. It's teaching gender conformity and that if a girl likes "boy" things, she's not a real girl. You should see some of the Mermaids presentations which are all pretty princesses at one end, GI Joe at the other and instructions that if you don't fit your stereotype you're "on the spectrum". It's damaging stuff. I know so many women who say that if the Trans lobby had been around when they were a young girl they'd have been picked up and diagnosed as "trans".

And people wonder why there is such insecurity these days with younger people in general. They have that this education pushed on them before they had a chance to naturally discover themselves.

Soldato
The modern sex education syllabus contains lots of political nonsense that shouldn't be taught, period. But I see sex education as something that kids should be taught throughout their educational life, just at different levels of course.

I think it's quite reasonable to explain to 4-5 year olds the different type of family structures that might exist and why. But I'd stay clear of the sexual aspects specific to humans until the teen years really. A ten year old doesn't need to to know about AtM.

Soldato
Why do we see this aspect of education as ours to dictate, yet we're generally happy to leave all other subjects for the schools to decide? Surely this has been discussed and decided by education professionals, so why should parents interfere? What's the risk?

Caporegime
Why do we see this aspect of education as ours to dictate, yet we're generally happy to leave all other subjects for the schools to decide? Surely this has been discussed and decided by education professionals, so why should parents interfere? What's the risk?
Because it's quite obvious that this "education" is agenda driven. The power of lobbying is influencing what kids are being taught.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but parents can still opt their kids out of religious education at schools?

Soldato
Because it's quite obvious that this "education" is agenda driven. The power of lobbying is influencing what kids are being taught.
Seems to me, the 'agenda' is more in the anti-sex-ed lobby. Like, there's this facade of "think about the children" when, really, it's about withdrawing education to entrench their own worldview.

Soldato
For me, relationships from as soon as they can learn. Sex/reproduction from around 6.
Why shouldn’t they learn about relationships and learn what’s healthy from a young age? Relationships are the basis of society and poor relationships are directly responsible for some many of societies ills.

Schools should also be providing free condoms, and someone to talk to about sex from an early stage. I’d say age 10 if an arbitrary number must be put on it.

I lost my virginity as a young 13 year old, used condoms and was in a safe place. I told my parents about it soon after and they were only concerned that I was using protection. I imagine it would be awful if you had no one to talk to, and that’s when mistakes happen.

Soldato
They shouldn't be taught sex ed at all. They should learn the ins and outs from skin mags found in laybys, just like I did.

Soldato
In any case, there are aspects of sex ed that should be taught to young kids: personal boundaries, consent etc. And there's no harm in talking about non-hetero relationships pretty early too - for most kids, hetero relationships will be normalised by witnessing their own parents, so educating on other types of relationships will help normalise those too.

Some good points here. Sex Ed can cover lots of things.

From memory i think we were first taught it in year 6 (about age 11) as a single lesson.

Then at the start of secondary school year 7 (about age 12), you were split off with boys in one class and girls in another to talk about stuff related to your own gender.

Think there may have been another at possibly year 9/10, might have been more focused around sexual health etc.

Caporegime
Seems to me, the 'agenda' is more in the anti-sex-ed lobby. Like, there's this facade of "think about the children" when, really, it's about withdrawing education to entrench their own worldview.
The problem is that the pro-trans agenda is now getting mixed in with sex ed (quite deliberately), so that if you're against the trans agenda you're now "against children's education".

Which is exactly the outcome they want.

In reality, teaching 4 year olds that they might have been "born in the wrong body" is bloody awful.

Back
Top Bottom