1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At what age should sex education be taught?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BowdonUK, Jun 5, 2019.

1. DrToffnar

Mobster

It's almost as though the profession of teaching (or indeed, any job that involves the structure and process of education) is completely and shamefully undervalued in this country...

2. h4rm0ny

Soldato

Yes they are.

The spectrum chart is part of a presentation by Mermaids. Pretty princesses at one end, soldiers at the other. I am familiar with their work. You appear not to be. If you want to dispute don't you think you should go and read some of their materials? Talk to people who've seen their presentations? When you get a young girl coming home saying she "has a boy brain" because she likes cars, that's gender conformity. The children's book I shared shows how the little girl who is into super-heroes and wants short hair is really a boy. Research this before pronouncing on what is and isn't happening. Your off-hand dismissal of what you cannot know doesn't happen (it does) shows exactly where you're coming from.

3. h4rm0ny

Soldato

No it wouldn't. Male and female are sexes. It is unhealthy to teach that someone's behaviour or interests puts them in either category. A young girl like mechanics? WHY should that mean she is on the spectrum towards being a boy? It may make her less typical for a girl but it in no way makes her less female. Mermaids and Allsorts teach the opposite.

4. GiraffePencils

Mobster

I'm sorry but that's an astonishing misinterpretation there?
    Have you never heard of a suggestion box? I deliberately said 'leave a question'
    As in, there's a box you can leave questions in, which are addressed to the whole class.
    More-over, you can make everyone ask a question, and then the people with pressing questions can ask, and others could possibly leave it blank.

You suspect ideological grounds? such as?

I suggested the teaching of one class with a box for questions in a response to:
    Which literally suggests boys would not be taught menstruation.

A male and female sex has nothing to do with traditional masculine and feminine roles.....
    Mechanic being a traditional masculine role, so teaching someone that everyone falls between the two 'traditional binaries' and that only a minority of people actually lie at either end can be nothing but beneficial to a child discovering how they fit into the world.

Mermaids may teach 'how to sacrifice goats' for all I care, if they come to my child's school I'll address their educational materials with them an my child, I'm not arguing what they do and do not teach.

5. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Your kids are going to have sex.
    They are going to have sex before they are sixteen.

Wouldn't you rather that they have sex, using protection, and have been brought up in a surrounding where if they want/need to talk to someone they can? Rather than them being afraid of telling their parents because they broke the law and were worried about the backlash. It's madness you wouldn't want to create a positive environment for them.

What would you do if your 13 year old son came to you and asked for condoms?

6. Efour

Caporegime

I just wanted to misquote this to make it creepy AF... Like some kind of Film Magnolia would watch.

7. Thekwango

Capodecina

he'd probably be acting in the film! :p

8. Efour

Caporegime

Lol thats not quite what i meant but, another lol.

9. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Buying condoms and deciding to have sex at that age should be done with the parent's consent, not the schools. That's beyond the remit of education.

10. VincentHanna

Capodecina

:rolleyes:

The school aren't giving them consent, they are making sure they don't have babies and get STD's when they have sex, which is something horny teenagers are going to try and do anyway.

11. Thekwango

Capodecina

without trawling the net looking for statistics i doubt that to be true.

12. GiraffePencils

Mobster

I know about 2 people who were above 16 when they first had sex (of the people I know that of of course)

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46794269)

So it's definitely something you should be thinking about as a parent (more so if you have 3 kids ;) )

13. Thekwango

Capodecina

ah ok, just as i thought. it's not true then that it's a given kids will have sex before 16

14. shorttricky

Wise Guy

Both of my kids have been through this program. Just to make it clear, it's not sex education in the way hysterical Daily Mail headlines would have you believe - it's call SRE (Sex and Relationship Education), and starts at reception then carries on all the way through secondary.

At reception age they learned about family units (especially that families can look very different - covered straight/gay/single parent/adoptive families), the PANTS rule and friendships
    At 6-7 they learned about bullying, online safety, physical health, fitness and healthy eating
    8-11 was puberty, peer pressure and drugs/alcohol (DARE)

Actual sex education wasn't until secondary - although it also covers things like sexting, consent, gender identity and sexual health.

It was all done very age appropriately - neither of my kids even realised they were doing it most of the time, it was just something they did in lessons.

15. Meaker

Mobster

And this sort of education reduces teen pregnancies and abortion by a decent margin while increasing understanding of all types of families which wont hurt those that go through changes.

Good sex education also stops stupid statements like "Well if she chose not to have her period she would not have to buy pads".

16. Devrij

Capodecina

I don't know enough about the syllabus to comment, but my 3yr old girl last night told me that her friend at nursery had told her "you're not a girl, you're a boy" which upset and confused her a bit. I asked her what she thought she was and she said she was a girl. So I said "you tell her that then, and tell me or mummy if she keeps saying that". So it is sort of a thing even at that age (gender). I felt like telling her to punch her friend, but thought better of it.

17. VincentHanna

Capodecina

You thought like telling a 3 year old to punch a friend?

Hmmnm

18. billysielu

Capodecina

Same age as they get phones.
    And by that I mean early teens.

19. FoxEye

Capodecina

Isn't the point being that the idea of a "spectrum of gender behaviours" is ridiculous?

Ie at one end there are "things that girls do" and at the other there are "things that guys do". And if you are a guy who likes "things that girls do", then you're somewhere between a "proper guy" and a "proper girl".

Which is nuts. Because at the "100% guy" end of the spectrum you can bet it would be "plays Rugby, is considering joining the army" and at the "100% girl" end it might be "wears flowers in her hair and frolics in meadows like Jane Austin".

It's a nonsense way to define girls and boys.

20. Devrij

Capodecina

I get a bit protective when someone upsets my little girl on purpose.