Homophobic attack on two women on London bus.

Caporegime
Good morning scamps.

I haven't read everyone's reply, will do after coffee, but do we know for sure it's a homophobic attack? I'm not trying to detract from the severity of the attack but has homophobia been confirmed as the motive?

Soldato
Good morning scamps.

I haven't read everyone's reply but has homophobia been confirmed as the motive?

According to the victims, yes.

Arrests have been made so in time I guess we'll have the full facts and possibly CCTV footage of the despicable a attack.

Also, good morning fellow Streathamite :)

Soldato
Good morning scamps.

I haven't read everyone's reply, will do after coffee, but do we know for sure it's a homophobic attack? I'm not trying to detract from the severity of the attack but has homophobia been confirmed as the motive?

Apparently it was because they were obviously a couple and openly gay. However I am of the opinion that scumbags being scumbags was a large contributory factor here

Caporegime
According to the victims, yes.

Arrests have been made so in time I guess we'll have the full facts and possibly CCTV footage of the despicable a attack.

Also, good morning fellow Streathamite :)

Good morning neighbour, I hope you're enjoying our glorious weather today!

Apparently it was because they were obviously a couple and openly gay. However I am of the opinion that scumbags being scumbags was a large contributory factor here

Yeah that's a given really. Bell ends gonna bell end :mad:

It's a sad state of affairs when I automatically wonder if the press are playing the homophobia card for clicks :(

Caporegime
Good morning neighbour, I hope you're enjoying our glorious weather today!

Yeah that's a given really. Bell ends gonna bell end :mad:

It's a sad state of affairs when I automatically wonder if the press are playing the homophobia card for clicks :(

They were beaten up partly because the men got annoyed that they wouldn't kiss for their own gratification.

Misogynists is more accurate than homophobes

Soldato
I was attacked 40 years ago standing up with a girl friend who was attractively dressed in biking leathers. The attackers, a group of moronic young male footie supporters. We both did give as good as we got however ending up as battered as the two women shown, I with concussion in hospital. It is an age old phenomena.

Soldato
Having considered this incident its actually a bit bizzare that it's been labeled variously a 'homophobic' and/or a 'misogynistic' incident

As it doesn't appear to have been based on a fear/disgust (be it irrational or rational) of homosexual women (as a description as it being homophobic would suggest) or be based on hatred, contempt or prejudice against women (as misogyny would suggest).

Rather the incident seems to be at least partially the result of a lack of respect for women (quite possibly from people who don't have much respect for any other people)

Its possible that the couple being gay was rather incidental to the actual motivation for the attack and that two or more, heterosexual women could easily have been the target...

Get your ***s out (as a certain forum member might joke)?

Or even a heterosexual couple. Getting grief from a bunch of imbeciles.

I have seen example of both of the above on public transport.

Without further information it appears that it could be a case that the suspects saw the women clocked they were gay (possibly because they kissed each other) and decided to harass them by trying to get them to act in a sexualised manner and when rebuffed it escalated to abuse, items being thrown and finally assault and robbery.

This isn't necessarily homophobic any more than an incident where a couple consisting of a male and female could be targeted by a group (as per the example cited above by another poster) could be considered 'heterophobic'

The initial linked article talks about 'homophobic abuse' but doesnt actually seem to include any actual examples of this (I don't think calling a lesbian a lesbian really counts as homophobic abuse) . Rather just the suspects acting lewdly and trying to incite the women to act in a sexual manner.

In a Facebook post, Geymonat, a flight attendant originally from Uruguay, said in both English and Spanish that they were subjected to homophobic abuse while being beaten up: “They started behaving like hooligans, demanding that we kissed so they could enjoy watching, calling us ‘lesbians’ and describing sexual positions … The next thing I know is that Chris is in the middle of the bus fighting with them.

Last edited:
Soldato

I suspect the headline could be re-written as;

"Couple making exhibition of themselves in public attract unwanted attention"

I dare say a lot of straight couples attract this sort of attention too if they are seen pawing each other on public transport late at night , but I doubt these incidents get much publicity.

The message here is Don't go out of your way to draw attention to yourself and you are more likley to be left alone

Associate
interesting first post.......

From the rather limited information we have so far it seems what your suggesting probably isn't all that likely
well, judging what is currently happening in the news regarding primary schools teaching about same sex marriage and the backlash from the Muslim community protesting in droves outside schools because it "offends their religious beliefs".. it not that unlikely is it ?

Associate
Bye Rob 12770. It was a good post but your last im sure lol.

I got a week's ban and called homophobic violating Facebook rules for saying the perpetrators should be publicly shamed and beaten. Those algorithms, working really well.

I'll repeat it again here, I do hope they get the snot beaten out of them but I read they are minors? At least one of them.

Those kind of people would have attacked anyone, any couple there, for whatever reason worked.
People saying "this is why we need a pride month" obviously have never lived in a reality where people are thugs for no reason but their entertainment.
Society needs more punishment for crimes like this, they need discipline from something.
TBH mate, i dont care if i get banned.. i only joined to air my views.

Soldato
I always wish I was there when there things happen as I'd not allow it, though just being there would probably mean it never started.. I remember two guys kicking some dood on the ground I took of my belt wrapped it round my arm/hand (mostly for show) walked over and they ran.

Permabanned
Maybe stockhausen's never been on a bus in London?

This attack caught the news attention because it trended on twitter and because of the LGBT angle during the pride month but similiar attacks, for a wide range of reasons, are not that uncommon on public transport.

In Camden alone (where the ladies are reported to have been attacked) there was 136 reports of violence against the person between April and December of 2018 and 18 reports of sexual assault

I don't particularly think we need every politician and their dog to come out and 'express there disgust' at this one particular incident.

Unfortunately we live in an age where posting a twiiter comment or changing your picture to a flag on your Facebook profile is seen as doing something meaningful about a problem.

I'm aware of the potential irony of posting on a public forum here but at leat sometimes various issues are discussed and debated here and I don't think many people think they are changing the world by posting here.
Nothing to add, just complementing you on a well said post.

Associate
Why, when the police were actively hunting for the suspects and appealing to the public for help in doing so would they not release their descriptions?
no doubt because they are Black or Asian and the police dont want to be branded racist anymore that it already is.

Soldato
The message here is Don't go out of your way to draw attention to yourself and you are more likley to be left alone
This really; a subscription we should all follow. Travelling late at night on London buses is a general no-no due to the degradation of social norms and in-turn applied accountability and responsibility for criminal actions.

It is a truly sad state of affairs. However, a slight modification in your behaviour, based on circumstance and situation and when especially in public, can go a long way in protecting yourself.

Soldato
Thank god they just punched them in the face and didn't throw a milkshake on them, the froth on the twattersphere would have been unbearable since this weaponisation of lactose products is just getting out of hand!

Back
Top Bottom