Do I need help?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I'm gonna buy a mini. Something spec'd like this (1.6 supercharged, lsd, cruise control, then anything else is a bonus heated seats, pano roof, Harmon Karden...)

R53 face-lift for under 3.5k in as best nick as possible.

What are people's thoughts? The reason I loved it was its long, smooth revvy engine, lovely manual gearshift, perfect go kart handling, lightweight but fast and cheap. (Edit: also the ability to get it into the 6 second territory with ease)

OK now talk me out of it. What else is there for that price that is as fun that I can use for my daily 170mile round commute?

Key is usable fun for say 3.5k up to 80k mileage. Throw me anything and if you convince me I'll find one to test drive.

Cheers

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Driving my 5 with all its power for overtaking, its amazing 4WS handling and its RWD skidding about is... also becoming boring as hell.

I'll still have that and my E34 as well as the wife's car to swap into whenever I need, but I'd like something fun to wrack the mileage onto.

Note: The 170miles a day will hopefully be foot to the floor the majority of the way, that can't lose its fun can it?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Also just call them a cooper s!
Haha is this cuz I said supercharged? Noted. I will continue to say supercharged :D

Hahaha I think its because I never knew!! Being a 6'4 fridge I'd never even considered the tiny wee thing so had no idea what they came with. Shocked I tells you!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ridiculous fun! I was taken back to my youth and absolutely loved it, which is why I'd like other suggestions just in case I'm looking at the mini all rose tinted...

Soldato
Buying a Mini to use for a bit of fun is fine, but heck, a 170 mile per day commute is bonkers enough let alone in a car like that! I hope the job is worth it!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Exactly! No. Because you guys are getting hung up on the commute aspect rather than alternative suggestions

Soldato
If it really is 170 miles of hooning it like a loon (which is probably isn't, but this is the internet, so... whatever you say, I guess) then that Mini is going to wear out even faster. It'll probably want servicing about 4 times a year.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Clio Renault Sport
Interesting... I haven't driven a clio for a good 10+ years as they were never my cup of tea. Has the newer one put on weight and been lumped with more power because its that type of thing I'm trying to avoid.

Buying a Mini to use for a bit of fun is fine, but heck, a 170 mile per day commute is bonkers enough let alone in a car like that! I hope the job is worth it!
Worth it.

fair share of reliability issues
I have heard this but I think the biggest was the chain which can be fixed before hand, then the rest aren't much else that wouldn't go wrong on an old 3 series.

Anything else I should worry about?

nice and comfortable
I have nice and comfortable. I want fun, not boring.
that Mini is going to wear out even faster. It'll probably want servicing about 4 times a year
Another reason for a cheap throw away toy. I'm putting too much on my 5 and the compromise of a diesel is not working when I'm paying so much to keep it on the road.

If I describe it as a throw away fun car does that make more sense?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom