PSU lifespan?

Soldato
I have a 3 year old superflower 1000w platinum PSU. How long should you keep a PSU for, what's the first signs that a PSU is dieing?

Nothing wrong with mine but I would like to save some money on a new build next year by not getting an expensive PSU.

Associate
I've had PSUs last anywhere from 5 to 10 years+. I keep using them until they die.
Signs include random reboots, BSOD, not powering on, grinding noise from the PSU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on component quality really. I just swapped out my 5+ year old AX860 with the same. It was still going strong, a mate has it now. I swapped out because I upgraded some other components and thought I might as well.

If it's a good quality PSU, without issues, I wouldn't consider replacing at all before 5 years.

Caporegime
I believe one of the well known PSU testing/review sites took a (good quality) PSU which they tested 12 - 15 years ago and re-tested it.

The results were not within the original specification anymore, but were still better than some brand new cheap units

Ill try and find the article when I get to work. :)

Caporegime
It still ticks all the boxes...
  • Full modular cabling
  • 80 Plus Platinum (very high quality)
  • 1000W (is huge!)

The efficiency rating doesn't necessarily indicate the overall quality of the circuitry, however Superflower are well known as being among the best in the business for their PSU internals, along with Seasonic.

Caporegime
Depend on the PSU I'm still using my 6 year old Seasonic 1000W.

I'm still using my 6 year old XFX Pro and replacing it hadn't even crossed my mind. It will probably outlive my interest in PC's. I have an old 400W (WinCool or something?) PSU in the cupboard which is 20 years old and used to power my Pentium 4 Northwood PC (It was a second hand PSU even then) right through to my Phenom 64 X4 system. Still works fine. Though I bet its fairly wacky on the power regulation these days. Not sure I'd trust it in my current system if my XFX went poof, but it still functions. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 3 year old superflower 1000w platinum PSU. How long should you keep a PSU for, what's the first signs that a PSU is dieing?

Nothing wrong with mine but I would like to save some money on a new build next year by not getting an expensive PSU.

I bought my Coolermaster 850W PSU on 22/11/2007.

Still powering an oc'd X5650, 9 x LED fans, 6 x HDD, a DVD drive, 6 sticks of RAM, a 240mm AIO and a 1070.

Hasn't missed a beat in all that time while remaining whisper quiet.

Man of Honour
I think I've had three in the last 18 years :D

I have read that typically, you should replace after every 5 as they become less efficient and productive but I'd dare say it's enough to warrant a new unit tbh..

Caporegime
Corsair TX 850W still chugging away from Nov 2011. It's never been stressed, I think that has a lot to do with longevity, I always buy with plenty of headroom.

I ran my 750W XFX at about 820W draw at the wall 24/7 for about a year straight, and prior to that it was running at around 680W draw for a couple of years 24/7. :p

Its still with us 6+ years later haha.

I remember reading a review before I bought it where they tested it up to about 920W before it went pop :p

Soldato
I ran my 750W XFX at about 820W draw at the wall 24/7 for about a year straight, and prior to that it was running at around 680W draw for a couple of years 24/7. :p

Its still with us 6+ years later haha.

I remember reading a review before I bought it where they tested it up to about 920W before it went pop :p

:D

I'd never have the nerve to push one that far!

Back
Top Bottom