Been offered job in Australia, relocation and visa sponsorship

Soldato
Been offered and accepted a job with a consultancy firm, just collating info for my visa.

I'm a single bloke, in a good job in the UK but current employer is good but tough environment at the moment.

The Australian job offered is a rung or two down in terms of role the client wants me to do, but I've done it all before so should be really comfortable, allowing me to have more of a social existence than I do now.

All of a sudden though I've gotten a little bit nervous. Am I mad to think twice?

The intension is to sell my house in the UK and get out of dodge.

Man of Honour
Just moving house in general never mind to another country can be quite apprehensive and you probably will be doubting yourself you made the right decision for the first few weeks.

Soldato
Australia is not 'Britain in the sun' and it has its own fair share of problems. Read the ex-pat stories on the travel forums for a better idea of the realities. Also, where you move to has a large bearing on happiness as some places over there are dire.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Your not mad for thinking twice about it as it's a helluva big move heading off to the tother side of the world, i think if i could ide be inclined to try & hang on to your house in the UK if you can just as a bit of insurance as oz isn't for every one, that way if for what ever reason it doesn't pan out, you haven't screwed your self over too much.

Soldato
OP
Australia is not 'Britain in the sun' and it has its own fair share of problems. Read the ex-pat stories on the travel forums for a better idea of the realities. Also, where you move to has a large bearing on happiness as some places over there are dire.
Hi, what places do you think might be dire? I know it won't be a utopia, I was thinking it would be a good adventure, even if it only lasts the 4 years if the visa

Associate
Without knowing all the details none of us can really advise you. I'd say that second thoughts are probably normal when considering such a big move. The unknown is unsettling. Personally I think the improved work life balance you allude to would appeal to me, almost regardless of physical settings but I live in Fife so perhaps that doesn't mean much!

Soldato
When I was 24 I pushed and pushed to get a posting to one of our African overseas offices, and finally got my wish a year later. I ended up in a French-speaking country which complicated things a little, and I had plenty of doubts along the way but I still stuck true to what I originally wanted - to work, live in and experience a different continent and people.

I had plenty of low times during three years over there, but many, many more highs and it changed me as a person for the better. I'd urge you to go for it - even if it doesn't work out you'll have learned something about yourself that you otherwise wouldn't.

Soldato
I'd jump at the chance! An offer like that only comes along once in a lifetime theoretically, and the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work out and you move back! :D

Where abouts is the job if you don't mind me asking?

Also while it might seem such a long long way away, if any sort of emergency (ill family etc. etc.) did happen you'll be home within 24 hours, so not that different to moving somewhere a lot closer.

Soldato
OP
Im
I'd jump at the chance! An offer like that only comes along once in a lifetime theoretically, and the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work out and you move back! :D

Where abouts is the job if you don't mind me asking?

Also while it might seem such a long long way away, if any sort of emergency (ill family etc. etc.) did happen you'll be home within 24 hours, so not that different to moving somewhere a lot closer.

I'm going on a project for 4 years the client is in tasmania and I'll be in hobart. It wasn't at the forefront of my mind, but reads nice and I contacted an old friend who is in Perth and it turns out has lived in hobart before who says it's lovely

Soldato
Im

I'm going on a project for 4 years the client is in tasmania and I'll be in hobart. It wasn't at the forefront of my mind, but reads nice and I contacted an old friend who is in Perth and it turns out has lived in hobart before who says it's lovely

Cool, lived in Sydney for a year but never got over to Tasmania!

As most everyone else has said, better to go for it and it not work out than regret it for the rest of your life! Also Aussie women are stunning, if that's your persuasion!

Can you keep ahold of your house as @VoG has said, just in case it doesn't work out or for somewhere to come back to after the 4 years, if you even come back that is :p

Worth looking into renting it out while your away? Could be a nice little income in the background.

Back
Top Bottom